Feb 04, 2018, 03:58 AM
The best in EDF since 2005
Thread OP
Well seems the new setup is already popular, 2 complete PnP done this week with the V5 160A speedies! Thanks guys, I need to get more of these big ESC asap.

Here is something that popped up when I opened youtube, some of you may have seen it, its very cool!

Aero-TV: Walter Mitty's Near-Jet - The PJ-II Dreamer Ducted Fan (5 min 22 sec)
Latest blog entry: Extreme RC AUSTRALIA
to remove ads between posts
Feb 04, 2018, 03:32 PM
I'm ready to play.

So whats the largest motor (power wise) I can fit in these shrouds?
Feb 04, 2018, 03:54 PM
Thread OP
The 12 blade rotors seem to run best on the 800-73-590 at 12 cell voltage level. Going to 14s its pulling more watts than the 11 blade.
The 12 blade 14s figures are 10.1kg thrust for 8200 watts, same thrust on the 11 blade was made with only 7700 watts.

The new HET 800-83 motor will be ready at the start of March and I will be getting a couple of these so I can test one, I expect it will be a real nice 14s motor and a hot 16s motor, so if you can wait it could be a good choice. Otherwise you need to find other 50mm motors much longer and around 510-550Kv that will handle over 160A cont' that you can push harder than the HET.

When did you get the housings, can you remember what year and around what month? They are 50mm bore on the motor not 45 yeah?
No brackets on them is pretty rare, I hardly sold a housing that wasn't assembled into a running fan ready to mount.
Feb 05, 2018, 10:52 AM
Yep 50mm - ill be waiting for March and the new motors
Feb 07, 2018, 04:21 PM
Thread OP
Hey guys, more fans are on the way as of today, Tony managed to knock up a couple more for me this week, plenty of motors in stock for the 12-14s setups (22+lb thrust).

The new HET 800-83 series motor will be coming in my next order which has already been placed. I will get the Flier 22s 380A ESC for doing 16-18s testing, 18s being the max we will go with.

Also looking into 56mm motors and we may even consider machining an alloy tube for the shroud, increase the motor housing diameter, adjust the stators, and end up with a 133mm fan I am going to get together with Tony soon for a brainstorm session and see what we can do!
Feb 07, 2018, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC
Hey guys, more fans are on the way as of today, Tony managed to knock up a couple more for me this week, plenty of motors in stock for the 12-14s setups (22+lb thrust).

The new HET 800-83 series motor will be coming in my next order which has already been placed. I will get the Flier 22s 380A ESC for doing 16-18s testing, 18s being the max we will go with.

Also looking into 56mm motors and we may even consider machining an alloy tube for the shroud, increase the motor housing diameter, adjust the stators, and end up with a 133mm fan I am going to get together with Tony soon for a brainstorm session and see what we can do!
NICE !!!

133 MM ramtec !!

My .02 cents - it would be REALLY nice to have an open end motor mount so different kinds of motors from outrunners to inrunners can be easily mounted

So many options for motors etc when we have 28 cell ESCs that are reliable.
Feb 07, 2018, 05:52 PM
Thread OP
I am not sure if we can make the motor mount completely open, problem is hub diameter is set at 57mm for now, so we are looking at adjusting the thickness of the motor tube and fins on it, and the overhang at the front so we can make the tube say 61mm OD tapered down to 57 at the front to keep a clean flow. The nice thing is Tony can make different centre sections, I am aiming to have motor tubes and stator sets on hand for 50mm and 56mm motors, as they just bolt into the shroud its a simple swap. 10mm collets are another item we are looking at as an accessory for larger motor installs.
Feb 12, 2018, 08:12 PM
Lee Liddle
Thanks for bringing your thread to my attention Mark. Looks like the low powered options are doing nicely. To me 12s on a 5" fan is the very bottom of its service range because the efflux speed at 6 or 7kw is so low on a 127mm.

I'm glad that you and Tony are looking in to adapting a 56mm motor to the Ramtec. I first hooked one to a Dynamax over 3 years ago and saw over 25lbs on the thrust scale. That's when I knew it was worth developing. I even talked with Tony about it back then and offered to help with r&d, but I guess he wasn't ready to make that move at the the time.

When you start running 18s I'll check back in. One thing about the very high power is that motor temps can become an issue of courses. It would be good if you could add a real time temperature reading as well as rpm. That would help anyone who wants to do and heads up comparison with other fan offerings.
Feb 12, 2018, 09:46 PM
Thread OP
Low powered? excuse the efficiency I will try to suck more watts in future setups...

12s = 5.5kw actually, not 6-7 The efflux speed seems to be good enough on the 14s setup (22lb 7600w) to power the Jet Teng Viperjet over 170mph, that's on video too...

Which brings me to; I just proved you don't need 18s to do 22lb, which is what par is peddling. The Ramtec with HET motor does this at a lower wattage and much lower AUW (not to mention cheaper too!)

When we get some new motors and do some new centres for the fan then I will start testing higher cell counts, but not for 22lb as I see no point carrying a 1.5+g fan and 18 cells with a 400 gram ESC for this thrust level when we can do it with a 200g esc on 14s and a 1.04kg fan.

I will continue to work on developing higher power setups, but I wont sacrifice the overall electrical and weight efficiency despite it being completely thrown out the window with all this dynamax hype.
Feb 12, 2018, 10:05 PM
Lee Liddle
Keeping the weight low is good because it allows more room for larger volume/ weight battery. There are other things to consider though, like motor mass which is important if you want to limit the need for throttle management or if you fly in very hot climates.

EDF is about tailoring a system to meet a particular need or goal.

It looks to me like the Ramtec is a good platform to achieve various goals. Extremely high thrust and efflux speed may very well be achieved with the Ramtec once it is modified to accept an appropriate motor and hooked up to a capable esc and battery pack.

If Tony would have worked with me three years ago, it might already be at that point. But hey, better late than never I guess. Best of luck on your journey North of 30lbs.
Mar 19, 2018, 05:58 PM
Thread OP
Hey guys, just an update, am waiting on the next batch of Fans, hopefully see them in the next day or two, I know a couple of readers are waiting patiently on these!

Also just got another box from HET and this one has the first of the new 800-83 series motors. I will take a quick pic of it later today, am aiming to set it up soon as I get the fans, I was going to stick it into my alloy housing but I think its better to fit it to the housing we are actually selling these days. I will start off with 14 cells to see what our baseline is, and soon as I can get a flier ESC in I will run it on 16s and then see if 18s will be achievable or not with this size motor. Likely will need to go with one of the 56mm motors for 18 cells.
Mar 19, 2018, 07:49 PM
I have the controller - need the housing and motor. I have 3 of the aluminum shrouds but it looks like the larger motor wont fit....so can you hook me up with a shroud and motor? or can I fit this motor in my shrouds?

Are these 8mm shafts going to take the 18S power?
Last edited by Air Head; Mar 19, 2018 at 08:12 PM.
Mar 19, 2018, 09:59 PM
Thread OP
The HET motor is 50mm, will drop right in, I can get them whenever you want one. I don't forsee any issue with this motor and its 8mm shaft, I don't think it will be an 18s motor though, 16s for sure, maybe 17s, have to wait and see what the amp draw ends up at.

Bear in mind my whole MO with the Ramtec is thrust at a reasonable power level, there is no point going to 18s if you are just going to pull 140-180A as the amount of battery needed means a lot of weight carried. I would like to see 140A max on 18s, that's 9000 watts, if we can get 1.5g/w with a larger more torquey motor then we are in the 29-30lb range.
Mar 26, 2018, 06:50 AM
Thread OP
Hey guys an update finally with the new HET motor! I got another batch of fans today and after doing the backorders I had time to assemble one with the new 800-83-510 motor.

So I balanced the fan up and charged up the 5000mah packs to hook up the baseline test setup that is 14s 10Ah 45c.

I will get video sometime this week, got a lot on and am machining a case up to house my thrust stands readout along with one of those fancy shunt meters that Tony has sent me, will be interesting to run that next to the Hyperion E-meter II.

Anyway the important stuff!! I ran the fan a few times on the 14s fine tuning the balance so the packs had about 30 seconds to a minute of varied running.

Results as follows:

RAMTEC 11B fan with HET 800-83-510Kv:
52.53v / 121.3A / 6372 Watts / 9.2kg thrust (20.2lb) / 24,660rpm / 20 deg C.

A great baseline that could easily be flown with 6000mah packs, two 4s and a 6s pack with one of the HW V5 130A 14s controllers.

Soon as I have a Flier ESC I will be running the fan on 16 cells and I think this will be a very interesting setup.

Next up is getting a custom longer can motor made for an 18s setup!
Mar 26, 2018, 07:14 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Head
I have 3 of the aluminum shrouds but it looks like the larger motor wont fit....so can you hook me up with a shroud and motor? or can I fit this motor in my shrouds?
Getting back to your fans, the 12 blade fans you have will be best with the HET 800-73-590kv on 12 cells, or the new 800-83-510Kv on 14 cells. Pushing the 12 blade harder uses more watts for the same thrust compared to the 11 blade, so you could run 14s with the 590Kv motor and the 12 blade rotors but you would be wasting 400-500 watts.

We wont be doing a 56mm motor tube for a while, just no time to get a whole new design done as Tony's machines need to be doing more than hobby work to make a living!

The 11 blade fan you have will be able to run the new 800-83-510 motor on 16 cells, once I have been able to run this and get the figures you will see them posted up in here but all the number crunching says this is going to be the best performance combo for now.

Oh and I am clearing out my old 50mm motor cones, these are CNC alloy rear cones that work as heatsinks and streamlined covers, USD$20ea plus shipping for whoever wants them! I think I have about a dozen spares left. Pic below for reference.

Quick Reply