The DJI Mavic Air - RCGroups News - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

The DJI Mavic Air - RCGroups News

The Mavic Air builds on the widely popular Mavic Pro with additional sensors and flight modes, but how does it stack up against its bigger brother?

The DJI Mavic Air - RCGroups News

The Mavic Pro's Little Brother Packs an Aerial Punch

As the name implies, the Mavic Air is a smaller and slightly more affordable version of the widely successful aerial scalpel known as the Mavic Pro. The Air builds on the compact design and folding frame of the Pro, and integrates more sensors and better video bitrate at the tune of 100mbps, 40Mbps more than the Pro. But the advantages (and a few disadvantages) don't stop there, the Mavic Air is light and nimble on the wing, topping out at 42.5mph while providing 21 minutes of usable flight time, all in a tightly bound package under $800. Let's take a closer look at the Mavic Air's features compared to the larger Mavic Pro.

Camera Performance

The Mavic Air shares many similarities with the Pro in regards to its 3-axis stabilized camera gimbal, with some improved software features. The Air comes with a 1/2.3" CMOS sensor nestled behind glass elements that offer up a 85-degree FOV. Both the Air and the Pro can take 12MP stills, but the Air edges out the Pro with 60fps video in 2.7k. Additionally, the Mavic Air records more information to its 8 gig internal storage (another plus for the Air) at up to 100Mbps when compared to the Mavic Pro's 60Mbps maximum bitrate. You're not limited to internal storage however; the Air can take up to a 128 gig micro SD card.

DJI - Mavic Air - Introducing the Mavic Air (3 min 20 sec)

Sensors, Flight Range and Flight Time

The Mavic Pro is a smart little folding drone, but the Mavic Air scores higher with additional sensors in a safety package called FlightAutonomy 2.0. Combining forward, rear, and downward facing sensors with the camera gimbal transform the Mavic Air into one safe flying little quad. With the Advanced Pilot Assistance Program, the Air can actively navigate around obstacles infront of and behind it.

Flight range and flight time are two areas where the little Air can't compete with the Mavic Pro. It has a 21 minute flight time, 6 minutes shy of the advertised 27 minutes of the Mavic Pro. Overall distance is down to 2.5 miles, less than half the distance of the Mavic Pro's advertised 4.3 mile transmission distance.

Software Features

I discussed some of the safety features bundled into the new Mavic Air, but the new flight modes are what really make the Air shine. Along with the standard TapFly and ActiveTrack, the Mavic Air adds Asteroid and Boomerang flight modes. Asteroid creates what is sometimes referred to as a "Little World", or a sperical panoramic video mode that offers 360-degree viewing. Boomerang mode operates like you would expect: the Mavic Air flies out and back like a boomerang.

The Air or the Pro?

Both versions of the Mavic are quite powerful little drones. They offer up highly compact airframes that can be stored in small cases; the Mavic Air can even be shoved into a coat pocket. But is the Pro's $999 price tag a pill worth swallowing over the $200 cheaper Mavic Air? It all depends on what trade-offs you're willing to make. If sacrificing flight time and overall flight distance for increased flight modes, increased bitrate, and a higher level of flight safety sounds good to you, then the Mavic Air might just be your next DJI drone.

DJI - Song of Myself - Shot on Mavic Air (2 min 11 sec)

Links

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Jan 24, 2018 at 10:33 AM..
Jan 24, 2018, 11:03 AM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
I’m really looking forward to this one!
Dave
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber Bird
Jan 24, 2018, 01:46 PM
JohnVHRC Reviewer
more of a Spark pro..
Jan 24, 2018, 01:59 PM
DWA
DWA
It does not matter what they call it. It only matters what it is capable of doing. It is a tool for a job.
IMHO

Dave
Jan 24, 2018, 02:02 PM
JohnVHRC Reviewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWA
It does not matter what they call it. It only matters what it is capable of doing. It is a tool for a job.
IMHO

Dave
It does for all the mavic support groups, now that thing is included, be nice if it had its own name for that reason, and other than a tiny bit better camera, the mavic pros are still a better machine. IMO.
Jan 24, 2018, 02:10 PM
DWA
DWA
Yeah whatever, doesnít matter to me. Iíve even been known to use that filthy word ďdroneĒ before instead of calling it a multirotor. But being a Christian I try very hard not have a filthy mouth.

Peace and love!
Dave
Jan 24, 2018, 02:13 PM
Technology for good!

Cute little bugger!

Iíll try one for sure.

Iíll wait and buy one from a local DJI dealer.

Great job DJI!

P
Jan 24, 2018, 02:21 PM
Technology for good!

Hey John

The Air part is the difference.

I’m sure like Apple it’s the light version and WiFi “Air” connection on the controller/device

It’s definitely a Mavic.

I’m interested in how well the short range signal penetration in heavy wooded terrain will be. The MPP is a star at that and it’s quiet.

I like it so far

It’s a “Diet Mavic”!
Jan 24, 2018, 02:26 PM
DWA
DWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Angels
Iíll try one for sure.

Iíll wait and buy one from a local DJI dealer.

Great job DJI!

P
I am still dying to come down and fly gliders with you in San Diego. Just wanted to let you know I have not forgotten, just wish I had a little more time life has been moving quickly lately.

Dave
Jan 24, 2018, 05:39 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Angels
The Air part is the difference.

I’m sure like Apple it’s the light version and WiFi “Air” connection on the controller/device

It’s definitely a Mavic.

I’m interested in how well the short range signal penetration in heavy wooded terrain will be. The MPP is a star at that and it’s quiet.

I like it so far

It’s a “Diet Mavic”!

Looking fwd to your results.
DJI supporters say the wi-fi they use is better then
ANYTHING else Wi-Fi.
We all know its a step below OccuSync, but im looking fwd to your wifi penetrating testings.

P.S.
OccuSync wasnt put on the MavicAIR because the
body is too small and the OccuSync gets too hot.
Its more for bigger drones...a la MavicPRO.
Jan 24, 2018, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVH
It does for all the mavic support groups, now that thing is included, be nice if it had its own name for that reason, and other than a tiny bit better camera, the mavic pros are still a better machine. IMO.
I agree!
Its nice to see FPV members here
WiFi is criticize usage on our fpv fixed Wing bc its
inferior....
im curious how DJI made Wi-Fi transmission successful.
Awaiting results.
I understand this is a totally different domain for us.
Last edited by rclab1; Jan 24, 2018 at 05:57 PM.
Jan 24, 2018, 11:39 PM
how long will this be out before they bring another one and what will it be called

MAVIC What ?

Pro-Spark-Air- ?

Just curious
Jan 25, 2018, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGhost
how long will this be out before they bring another one and what will it be called

MAVIC What ?

Pro-Spark-Air- ?

Just curious
From what i was told...you have to suck it up
and forget your old equip....buy the new equip.
Once new equip comes, slowly they abandon old tech.... suck it up
This new MavicAIR is not better then current MavicPRO
Jan 25, 2018, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1
From what i was told...you have to suck it up
and forget your old equip....buy the new equip.
Once new equip comes, slowly they abandon old tech.... suck it up
This new MavicAIR is not better then current MavicPRO
so like my New Computer that is already obsolete when I bought it

so is the Mavic air .....

sounds about right
Jan 29, 2018, 10:11 PM
Has anyone tried to identify the voice from DJI's ''Song of Myself'' Mavic Air promo video? It sounds exactly like Jorah from Game of Thrones.

Quick Reply