Mar 18, 2018, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBwell
Shopping at HK's website is like running in deep mud. Anyone know why it's so slow? Bandwidth? Out of date slow servers? I like their selection of products and prices are pretty good, but shopping there just frustrates me. How can we advise them to speed it up? Anyone have any thoughts?
Reason is the site is running on Amazon AWS crap.

A venture this size should be run on clustered dedicated servers.

HK I(nep)T dept are oblivious to web development.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 06, 2019, 05:36 PM
Its because other websites took over with potential and they have used their dominance to take hobbykings revenue by ruining its website a bit, thats my theory. its a hierachy thing, chimp warfare.
Apr 27, 2019, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBwell
Shopping at HK's website is like running in deep mud. Anyone know why it's so slow? Bandwidth? Out of date slow servers? I like their selection of products and prices are pretty good, but shopping there just frustrates me. How can we advise them to speed it up? Anyone have any thoughts?
I am guessing that it has a lot to do with user hardware and software as well. HK is running comparable to other shops on my current PC that is also pretty old, but when I fire up an even older PC with windows XP then the site is super slow. I have noticed many online shops going downhill for my personal use because I think they are trying to make their webpage more suitable for smartphones etc so maybe there are too many different devices, browsers, drivers etc to test them all. Flashy visuals probably play their part as well. HobbyKing sometimes gets stuck in that special effects loading screen and I have to refresh the page to use click functions although I can browse products with loading images cycling through. I guess newer generation likes more flashy visual special effects etc.
Apr 28, 2019, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recce
I am guessing that it has a lot to do with user hardware and software as well. HK is running comparable to other shops on my current PC that is also pretty old, but when I fire up an even older PC with windows XP then the site is super slow. I have noticed many online shops going downhill for my personal use because I think they are trying to make their webpage more suitable for smartphones etc so maybe there are too many different devices, browsers, drivers etc to test them all. Flashy visuals probably play their part as well. HobbyKing sometimes gets stuck in that special effects loading screen and I have to refresh the page to use click functions although I can browse products with loading images cycling through. I guess newer generation likes more flashy visual special effects etc.
See above. Very little to do with, if at all a users hardware/software.

It is purely due to inexplicably poor website implementation.

Other ecommerce sites far more complex than the HK site run an order of several magnitudes faster as they are not bloated with extraneous code, bandwidth hogging 'user experience' pretty things that are of no commercial value (like the orange animations when searches etc. are 'searching') and a huge amount of analytical and tracking wares.

Hosting services are possibly on a 'payg' basis that increase and restrict bandwith etc. and are not a good choice. (Royal Mail in the UK tried that some years back and it was an unmitigated disaster!)

Amateur design for what is a very professional mission critical site.
May 02, 2019, 04:44 AM
Firepower
I have been buying from Hobbyking for years but now I find the site is bad and searches are useless.

Is it just me or is anyone else complaining.
May 26, 2019, 06:47 PM
Culper Junior
Searching is a pain. Type in ‘power systems’ or ‘electric motor’ and if 40 items come up only 8 or 10 are motors, the rest are motor peripherals like props, mounts, bearings, etc. How can I view motors ONLY, in a list from smallest to largest?
May 27, 2019, 08:22 AM
They still have products listed that they dont sell anymore or have been out of stock that long that they will never be restocking.
May 30, 2019, 07:03 PM
Win some lose some
Iv'e never ever had a problem with them because I've never ordered anything from them.
May 31, 2019, 09:13 AM
I can live with the admittedly buggy website as long as their pricing stays where it is, and they continue to have frequent and all too tempting sales.

Just look at Horizon and Motion prices. HK absolutely destroys them when it comes to value for money, and that's pretty much my main concern. The website is totally useable to do what I need it to do.

Yes, Motion's website is nicer, and tells me when somebody in some other country just bought a this or that - but their planes cost literally twice as much as something comparable at HK when on sale. And Motion EU never has sales...

HK also sells the best batteries bar none - and for MUCH less than those other companies. Tools, glues, tapes, and on and on. In the big picture the website is pretty trivial afaic... But then I am not willing to pay Motion and Horizon prices, however swanky their websites may be...
Jun 01, 2019, 02:40 AM
Why do I get popups for %10 discounts, but when I click "apply" they never work??....
Jun 04, 2019, 03:34 PM
Sippin' on Kool Aid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
I can live with the admittedly buggy website as long as their pricing stays where it is, and they continue to have frequent and all too tempting sales.

Just look at Horizon and Motion prices. HK absolutely destroys them when it comes to value for money, and that's pretty much my main concern. The website is totally useable to do what I need it to do.

Yes, Motion's website is nicer, and tells me when somebody in some other country just bought a this or that - but their planes cost literally twice as much as something comparable at HK when on sale. And Motion EU never has sales...

HK also sells the best batteries bar none - and for MUCH less than those other companies. Tools, glues, tapes, and on and on. In the big picture the website is pretty trivial afaic... But then I am not willing to pay Motion and Horizon prices, however swanky their websites may be...
Motion R/C's planes cost twice as much because they are twice the quality. The included equipment is nicer, it is actually QC tested, and gets good support. HK will release a plane, and if it is outside of the Durafly/Avios line it doesn't get any parts support (and durafly/avios can be hit or miss). Same goes for Horizon Hobby. You spend the money but if I have an issue they have a replacement for it and I can speak to someone on the phone who is knowledgeable about the product because they've seen it, touched it, used it. It isn't some Philippines support rep spitting out responses that are pre-written. You pay money for a company backing a product.

HK batteries are not the best. They are the best at price per performance, sure, but again that depends on if you get decent ones. I used to fly all HK multistar and graphene packs, but for $3 more I now can get batteries that are far better from Racedayquads or other vendors that will more readily support me.

If I'm paying decent money, I want a decent shopping experience, which I get from Motion, RDQ, GetFPV, ReadyMade etc. HK has not adapted to the 2019 e-commerce environment at all and roll out crappy updates too late and too far between. You can't be that lazy with that much fierce competition from the aforementioned companies especially when they are domestic US companies.

Another example of better service from a non HK company: I placed an order from RDQ at around 4pm on a wednesday, and picked their 2-3day shipped option. My package was packed (it was over $300 in batteries, fpv gear and misc parts), and shipped same day and arrived to me early saturday. You couldn't get that from HK unless you got a huge stroke of luck. Did I pay more money? Probably. Did I get better service? 100% yes. Did I enjoy my hobby more because of it? Yep. Worth every penny of markup I paid to not deal with my order being "printed" for 48 hours before actually shipping.
Last edited by heligrom; Jun 05, 2019 at 10:43 AM.
Jun 05, 2019, 12:46 AM
Category Manager - Planes
Jun 05, 2019, 10:41 AM
Sippin' on Kool Aid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyKing_Ian
Exactly the response I'd expect from someone at HK. No answers, no action.
Jun 05, 2019, 03:14 PM
Category Manager - Planes
Heligrom, if you have an issue hobbyking will bend over backwards to fix it for you. If we don't have the best customer service in the industry it's a close second.

If you have an issue let us resolve it for you. If you have a genuine question let me know and send me a pm.

Ian
Jun 06, 2019, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heligrom
Exactly the response I'd expect from someone at HK. No answers, no action.
And highly unprofessional.

Quick Reply