Jan 23, 2018, 04:40 PM
Discussion

Project Mockingbird: Getting Betaflight Whoops to Fly like Inductrix

Have you ever wanted your Betaflight FC to fly like the legendary Inductrix FPV FC and still be able to fly Acro like you want?
That's the goal of "Project Mockingbird". I've been testing and using it with Jesse and team, as well as many others and even Joshua Bardwell covered it in an Interview with Jesse Perkins!

HISTORY
A lot of this setup is owed to Scott Allyn from the MMW community as he was the first one I am of aware of to try to do this and got a lot of the basics figured out. But Betaflight Angle mode, slow PPM Betaflight FCís and filtering just wasnít that great back then, and itís only really been since 3.2.2 and above that Iíve noticed itís gotten A LOT better for Whoops.

OVERVIEW
This setup will closely mimic what an Inductrix FPV FC is doing in Angle mode, but this setup will allow you to change to different flying style characteristics for Acro with a flick of switch, something that the stock FC just canít do. But the good news is, the angle limit has been increased and we can use higher KV motors!

The end goal is to have a really easy to use document to set up and a video showing how to do it, but if you are feeling adventurous, I'd love to see if you think it flies as good or better than the stock Inductrix FC.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

If you are a Spektrum DX6e user, just download the .SPM file and put it on your radio and you are good to go!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-8...XUpBazkMolwnig
to remove ads between posts
Jan 23, 2018, 06:21 PM
Looks good qreacher, thanks. I have seen Scotts "BeeBrain (re)Tuning" thread where he says using throttle mixes is a big part of the Inductrix experience but I only have a DX6i and I can't get the mixes working. Finally a reason for a new radio?!

I am considering a BetaFPV board to fit to my E011, so the info here will be very helpful.
Jan 24, 2018, 12:42 PM
I followed that setup yesterday on one of my Beta65s' and it's definitely more responsive in Angle mode than before. I just have to stop crashing since this causes problems with the accelerometer and drifting starts? I'm going to try this on my other FC's too tonight.
Jan 24, 2018, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1canuck
I followed that setup yesterday on one of my Beta65s' and it's definitely more responsive in Angle mode than before. I just have to stop crashing since this causes problems with the accelerometer and drifting starts? I'm going to try this on my other FC's too tonight.
Yeah, Betaflight still doesn't recover from Angle mode bumps and crashes very well. Hopefully that will change soon!
Jan 24, 2018, 06:46 PM
very interesting...

saw some mention of this on a JB video

Jesse Perkins Interview and Giveaway | MR TINY WHOOP (39 min 22 sec)
Jan 25, 2018, 04:36 PM
Gone with the Mistral
Thanks for sharing the BF config and the tuto document. I use this config nearly as described in the doc (thr mix weight=20). Feels much better in the air, no doubt.
My setup:
F36 furibee frame
615 racerstar purple motors
E010 props
BeecoreV2 FC
EF-02 aio vTx/cam modified to get Vin-Vout
18.7gr without battery.
Last edited by ztoon13; Jan 25, 2018 at 05:35 PM.
Feb 01, 2018, 04:51 PM
This has me really intrigued.. Has there been any testing on brushless whoops? I might try some of these settings on my B06...
Feb 01, 2018, 07:26 PM
This is a great start, but I think we should push forward to implement the functionality of what you're doing to tweak the mixer settings in Betaflight so that it can be "transmitter agnostic". Thoughts?
Feb 01, 2018, 08:44 PM
making crashing a lifestyle!
Nice!
Although I thought my chinywhoop was flying pretty good on bf 3.2.4, I am trying this now..
Setting up as we speak and charging batteries now. ��
Feb 01, 2018, 09:56 PM
OK.

Just flew 6 Lipos.. (2.5 min each) and I must say..
Wow...
It flies sooooo much better now!
Hitting gates (which are cardboard boxes opened on both sides) is way more easy to do now. My track in my (tiny) home goes from ground to ceiling and back again, and before the ceiling height gates were always a problem to line up. Now I can hit them without fighting the sticks and whacking the throttle.

Good job on this setup!
Feb 02, 2018, 01:34 PM
Does this make Acro any better, or just Angle...I only fly acro, and still get figure out the best PIDs on my Beta65s
Feb 02, 2018, 02:05 PM
Iím also interested in how it works with brushless quads like the B06 or the Beta 75 Pro. Anyone tried it yet?
Feb 03, 2018, 03:28 PM
Have been running the pmb mod about a week now and love it! My whooping has gotten so much better now, and with new motors... wow huge difference in flight characteristics. Heck I think the first day I did this I much have ran 30 batteries thru it, haven't had his much fun with a quad in a while!
Feb 06, 2018, 01:47 AM
Dutchcommando and archerfpv, are you flying in angle or acro/rate mode?
Feb 06, 2018, 03:48 AM
I'm flying the chinywhoop in level mode.

Quick Reply