Sep 13, 2019, 08:53 PM
When in doubt, buzz them...
Sunrise - September 13, 2019 (1 min 0 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2019, 08:59 PM
Just out for fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmshop
That was one for the books as it is said. The jet's contrail was cool and timed just right too. Thanks.
Sep 14, 2019, 09:02 AM
When in doubt, buzz them...
Using the tower as a reference, I finally got the arc of the sun...
Sunrise - Septemebr 14, 2019 (0 min 22 sec)
Sep 14, 2019, 04:56 PM
Just out for fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmshop
Using the tower as a reference, I finally got the arc of the sun... https://youtu.be/Z5RPABQmHvY
That was a good idea. I wonder if the arc would be nearly as visible if you were closer to the tower.
Sep 15, 2019, 05:33 PM

Researched

Gentlemen,

Delighted to order the Fly More combo after days of research.

What are the must have accessories for the beginner?
Sep 15, 2019, 07:58 PM
What Goes Up...Must Come Down
Batteries and flight time, lol. Congrats!
Sep 15, 2019, 08:10 PM

Great advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjets
Batteries and flight time, lol. Congrats!
Thanks for the advice.

Are five to eight batteries enough? I typically like to have four to eight batteries for my RC airplanes.
Sep 15, 2019, 09:00 PM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill
Thanks for the advice.

Are five to eight batteries enough? I typically like to have four to eight batteries for my RC airplanes.
Figure 15-18 minutes flight time per battery depending on how you are using them and saving them from stress. As this isn't made to be a "Fun Flier" per say but a aerial camera platform, 8 Batteries would probably be overkill for all but the serious "Filmer". I can fly 5 batteries all day long with proper planning with field recharging. To each their own with flying style and filming requirements but pretty much one hour of raw footage with planning to get shots before hand for points of interests and a spare battery or two to get a couple of re-shoots or different angles would probably be enough for the above average photog.

As I say it's up to you but 4 to 5 batts should be more than enough as a good charger can only charge 3 at a time, so that's alot of planning and such. Plus alot of raw footage to edit though...IMHO...YMMV Remember this isn't a normal battery and HAS to be charged by a approved charger, a normal LiPo battery charger cannot be used. These are Smart Batteries and are a whole new ball game
Last edited by Repaid1; Sep 15, 2019 at 09:07 PM.
Sep 15, 2019, 09:19 PM

Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
Figure 15-18 minutes flight time per battery depending on how you are using them and saving them from stress. As this isn't made to be a "Fun Flier" per say but a aerial camera platform, 8 Batteries would probably be overkill for all but the serious "Filmer". I can fly 5 batteries all day long with proper planning with field recharging. To each their own with flying style and filming requirements but pretty much one hour of raw footage with planning to get shots before hand for points of interests and a spare battery or two to get a couple of re-shoots or different angles would probably be enough for the above average photog.

As I say it's up to you but 4 to 5 batts should be more than enough as a good charger can only charge 3 at a time, so that's alot of planning and such. Plus alot of raw footage to edit though...IMHO...YMMV Remember this isn't a normal battery and HAS to be charged by a approved charger, a normal LiPo battery charger cannot be used. These are Smart Batteries and are a whole new ball game
Thanks!

Looks like one or two (three batteries come with the Fly More combo) more batteries will be more than enough.
Sep 15, 2019, 09:41 PM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Quote:
Thanks!

Looks like one or two (three batteries come with the Fly More combo) more batteries will be more than enough.
Might wanna look into getting one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Fstop-Labs-Ma...8601628&sr=8-4
Sep 16, 2019, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Gentlemen,

Delighted to order the Fly More combo after days of research.

What are the must have accessories for the beginner?
A set of ND filters help create better looking videos by matching the shutter speed with the frame rate (search for ND filters in drones and motion blur to get a sense of what's happening)

If you want to use a bigger tablet instead of a phone, a tablet holder helps a lot (I use something like https://www.amazon.com/Mavic-Platinu.../dp/B071RK5FYY) and a lanyard (you can see it in the picture of the holder)

I like having a landing pad. The Mavic Air sits very low on the ground, and when initializing the gimbal it might hit the ground/grass and have problems). Something like https://www.amazon.com/Pad,Homga-Uni.../dp/B06XCFQTYX . Landing pads also make precision landing work much better

And a car charger if you want to charge on the go. In theory you can use a car inverter, bu most inverters produce a really bad wave (mostly modified sine wave, basically a 3 level square wave), and those can over time ruin the switching power supply inside the Mavic Air charger. And good, true sine wave inverters cost much more. Lastly, not as critical, but the combination of an inverter and Mavic Charger is much less efficient than a car charger, and that matters if you plan to charge multiple times in a day with a car with a small battery (A big truck batter will have no problems even with less efficient chargers)
Sep 16, 2019, 12:23 PM

Awaiting the arrival of my MA Fly More Combo and accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
Might wanna look into getting one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Fstop-Labs-Ma...8601628&sr=8-4
Quote:
Originally Posted by robca
A set of ND filters help create better looking videos by matching the shutter speed with the frame rate (search for ND filters in drones and motion blur to get a sense of what's happening)

If you want to use a bigger tablet instead of a phone, a tablet holder helps a lot (I use something like https://www.amazon.com/Mavic-Platinu.../dp/B071RK5FYY) and a lanyard (you can see it in the picture of the holder)

I like having a landing pad. The Mavic Air sits very low on the ground, and when initializing the gimbal it might hit the ground/grass and have problems). Something like https://www.amazon.com/Pad,Homga-Uni.../dp/B06XCFQTYX . Landing pads also make precision landing work much better

And a car charger if you want to charge on the go. In theory you can use a car inverter, bu most inverters produce a really bad wave (mostly modified sine wave, basically a 3 level square wave), and those can over time ruin the switching power supply inside the Mavic Air charger. And good, true sine wave inverters cost much more. Lastly, not as critical, but the combination of an inverter and Mavic Charger is much less efficient than a car charger, and that matters if you plan to charge multiple times in a day with a car with a small battery (A big truck batter will have no problems even with less efficient chargers)
Great suggestions and thank you!

Mavic Air Remote Control Travel Case, Mavic Air Car Charger, 4-In-1 Memory Card Reader, Red Mavic Air Joystick Protector, and Landing Pad are on the way.

I'll test the charging pad included with the Fly More Combo before determining the need to upgrade the charger.

What is the best combination packet and brand of lenses for one who wants to recon potential areas to fly RC aircraft?

Hey, I might even want to use my MA to follow/track my RC airplanes in flight.
Last edited by Trill; Sep 16, 2019 at 02:38 PM. Reason: On the way; Recon and Tracking
Sep 16, 2019, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Great suggestions and thank you!

Mavic Air Remote Control Travel Case, Mavic Air Car Charger, 4-In-1 Memory Card Reader, Red Mavic Air Joystick Protector, and Landing Pad are on the way.

I'll test the charging pad included with the Fly More Combo before determining the need to upgrade the charger.

What is the best combination packet and brand of lenses for one who wants to recon potential areas to fly RC aircraft?

Hey, I might even want to use my MA to follow/track my RC airplanes in flight.
PolarPro filters are very high quality and fit perfectly. They offer quite a few packages. If you also get a polarizing filter, you can minimize reflections off water and shiny surfaces, but polarized light depends on the position of the sun and direction, so the polarizing filter must be rotated for each specific shot, making it quite a convoluted process. I love having a polarizer on my DSLR, but I don't have the patience to use one when flying. Keep in mind that you can still get great photos and videos without ND filters, and strictly speaking a filter is not needed. But if you want to achieve that specific cinematic look, a polarizer helps (PolarPro also offers a simple filter calculator for your smartphone, to help decide what filter to use for a specific situation)
Sep 17, 2019, 08:56 AM

PolarPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by robca
PolarPro filters are very high quality and fit perfectly. They offer quite a few packages. If you also get a polarizing filter, you can minimize reflections off water and shiny surfaces, but polarized light depends on the position of the sun and direction, so the polarizing filter must be rotated for each specific shot, making it quite a convoluted process. I love having a polarizer on my DSLR, but I don't have the patience to use one when flying. Keep in mind that you can still get great photos and videos without ND filters, and strictly speaking a filter is not needed. But if you want to achieve that specific cinematic look, a polarizer helps (PolarPro also offers a simple filter calculator for your smartphone, to help decide what filter to use for a specific situation)
Looks like PolarPro is the way to go.

Thanks!
Sep 18, 2019, 02:31 PM

C Rating on batteries in the Fly More Combo

Gentlemen,

Where can I find the C rating for the batteries that come with the Fly More Combo?

Quick Reply