Mike Roach free plans - RC Groups
Jan 23, 2018, 09:05 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Download

Mike Roach free plans

I’ve decided to offer as many of my plans as I can get scanned onto pdf, free to copy. I’ve been impressed by the generosity of other modellers and designers who do the same thing and frankly any charge I made for paper copies was always offset by the cost of getting them made and posted.
So here are the first of the series and I will add to the list as time goes by.

Bombardier CL-215 (2010 version) and CL-415 (2018 version) Moved to post # 9

Airco DH2 (2001 free plan with Flying Scale Models) Moved to post # 10

Sopwith Triplane (2001 free plan from FSM) published at post # 27

Rossiten AS, a free plan from AMI, January 2005, published at post #30

Bristol Scout C, from the September 2004 issue of Flying Scale Models, published at post #33

Sopwith Gordon Bennett Racer, from FSM April 2002, published at post # 36

Supermanrine Walrus, from the March 2005 FSM, published at post #37

Sopwith Bee and Tadpole, from the October 2003 FSM, published at post #42

Sopwith SS3 Tabloid, from the January 2005 FSM, published at post #49

The 1910 Howard-Wright Monoplane, from the March 2004 AMI, published at post #54

To follow:
Sopwith Tabloid
Sopwith Schneider Trophy Racer derived from the Trophy-winner.
Sopwith Sparrow
NA Mustang
Grob Egrett
Westland Welkin
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Today at 10:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 23, 2018, 11:56 AM
Mike,
Thanks for the generosity! I picked up this issue when I saw the model on the cover. Really like the DH-2. Debated on picking up the short kit years ago from Turn-key and never got around to it before they closed up shop. It's on the "someday" list. Looking forward to seeing the others.
Jan 23, 2018, 11:15 PM
Summit Model Aeronautics
Oh geez, Mike, just when I thought I had all the plans I ever want to build "one of these days", you come up with this random act of generosity. SWMBO will not be pleased!

Seriously, this is a fine, unselfish gesture; thanks from all of us who will build your designs!

Steve
Jan 24, 2018, 07:49 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Yup, a great gesture to offer these to the International Community of Aeromodellers!

Thanks Mike - I've admired your work from afar for some time.
Jan 24, 2018, 08:33 AM
a.k.a. skcope
Sharing and generosity are what's right with our hobby! Thank you very much Mike.
Jan 24, 2018, 01:40 PM
Power Upward
Mike,

Thank you for sharing your talented work.

George
Jan 24, 2018, 10:02 PM
Post # 20 million
Thank you!.
Jan 25, 2018, 07:12 AM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Thanks Mike!

And I thought Christmas was over!....
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Jan 29, 2018, 07:13 AM
Slip the surly bonds...

Bombardier CL-215 and CL 415

The CL-215 was designed and built for the 2010 Chilliwack Fly-In, and had to fit into a carry-on box, hence the structure that breaks down into numerous parts. It is best built as a two-piece model to make it simpler and lighter. The build thread for the model is here.

The CL415 was built in 2017 from the new set of drawings published on the Seawings website and is a bit more accurate in elevation than the earlier plan. There's a build thread here.

Both models were designed for depron construction, but a traditional balsa build should be just as easy.

Top tip for waterproofing: it's almost impossible to get the seams totally waterproof with butt joints. Simply finger-tip rub a bead of UHU Por along the outside of all the underwater seams and paint over when dry.
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Jan 30, 2018 at 02:44 PM.
Jan 29, 2018, 07:22 AM
Slip the surly bonds...

Airco DH2

This was my first truly independent model WWI design (my previous Sopwith Tabloid and Triplane were based on Peter Rake's Sopwith Pup plan). Despite all the struts and bracing she flies well and a version made at the time by Frank Jaerschky, with ailerons and some other changes, is still flying to this day.

The plan is the one presented as the free plan with FSM in February 2001, together with the article that accompanied it (long out of print).
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Jan 30, 2018 at 11:20 AM.
Jan 29, 2018, 12:29 PM
Thank you.. always had a liking for the oddly complex Dh 2
Jan 29, 2018, 01:30 PM
Summit Model Aeronautics

Short Kits of Mike's Plans

Once I had downloaded the plans for Mike's DH2 and CL-415 Super Scooper, it didn't take me long to decide that I had to build them both (...eventually...). I was all set to draw up some parts cutfiles for both for cutting on my CNC router, when it occurred to me that I might not be the only builder out here who'd like a short kit of these fine, proven designs. Mike and I shared a couple of virtual pints this weekend, and emulating the successful Canadian construction of British aircraft designs during the Second World War, he's authorized me to offer CNC-cut short kits of his designs, including rolled, laser-printed full-sized plans. Work is already underway to generate cutfiles for the DH2 and a hybrid CL-215/415, and I should be able to cut short kits within the next couple of weeks.

Longer term, as Mike scans and posts his other designs, I'll be prepared to offer short kits of them as well, so come back to this thread often to see how we're doing. Mike might even be persuaded to scan particular plans in priority if anyone is keen for a short kit of their favourite...

Steve
Jan 30, 2018, 01:26 PM
Be interested in the Dh2 @1:12th scale ~ 28" ws ?
Assuming pricing is within my limited budget
Jan 30, 2018, 02:40 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
Be interested in the Dh2 @1:12th scale ~ 28" ws ?
Assuming pricing is within my limited budget
As drawn it's at 38" span but a simple reduction and the use of 1/32nd insead of 1/16th balsa would seem entirely practical. Bit small for my big fingers though!
Jan 30, 2018, 03:52 PM
What I thought as well. I can manage 1:12th.
And yess I struggle with the smaller builds as well.
Needs must though as hangar space Dictates.
Recently saw in 'micros' a Falcon 20" span DH2 ..an exquisitely built/detailed thing.
Falcon kits are nla unfortunately... I did look for one

Quick Reply