Jan 22, 2018, 07:09 PM
Maarten
Contest

F5J in Rhode Island June 30 - July 1

Name: RISC Logo.JPG
Views: 24
Size: 15.3 KB
Description: F5J in Rhode Island June 30 – July 1.

The Rhode Island Soaring Club will host their second 2018 season F5J contest on the weekend of June 30 - July 1.
This is a two-day contest and is part of the USA F5J Tour as well as the ESL electric contest series.

Check In Time: 8:00
Pilots Meeting Time: 8:45
First Flight Time: 9:00

Field will be available for practice and/or LSF tasks on Friday.

CD will be Maarten Broess and co CD David Beach.

The other Rhode Island Soaring Club F5J contest will be held on April 28 – 29.
See: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3016821-RISC-Red-Rooster-F5J-April-28-29-2018

Rules:
F5J in Rhode Island is an ESL and USA F5J Tour event. The rules will be the FAI F5J rules except motor restart is allowed but will result in a zero-score flight.

There will be no fly offs.

Models must be equipped with an approved F5J Altimeter. PDF with list of approved altimeters.

For more information regarding F5J visit http://www.f5j-usa.com.

This is a two days event. Participants can choose to fly for a single day, but final results are based on two days of flying.
Registration for two days is $40.00. Free for Novice pilots and pilots under 16.

For register visit: http://www.flyesl.org/Contest.aspx?contestid=287

Awards:
Prizes are awarded for the top three pilots based on the results of two days of flying.

For each day of flying a special prize will be awarded for the pilot who has the lowest launched highest scoring flight.

Flying Conditions:
The contest will be held at the Rhode Island Soaring club. The club fields are beautifully manicured turf farms with wide open space without any flight restrictions. The RISC fields are considered the best soaring location in New England. You will not regret making the trip.

Our fields are close to the Ocean and it is not unusual for the wind to pick up in the afternoon. So be prepared for various windy conditions. Don't forget your ballast.

*Beware the field is an active sod farm and participants are expected to be respectful of the crops, farming activities and neighbors.

The airfield we plan to use is located of Dug-Way Bridge road in West-Kingston, RI. Map of the field.
GPS coordinated: 4130'14.4"N 7135'45.0"W
Depending on conditions, one of the other RISC available sod farms may be used (just a few minutes away). Registrants will be notified by email in the event of a site change.

Food and lodging:
Drinks and water will be available at the field. Participants will have to bring their own lunch.

Plenty of Hotels / lodging are available in the area closer to Providence. This is the weekend before the 4th July so make your reservations early.
No onsite camping is available.

Looking forward seeing you all in Rhode Island.
Maarten
Last edited by mbr1234; May 28, 2018 at 10:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2018, 08:22 PM
Definitely going! This is the new standard for East Coast F5J competitions!
Mar 02, 2018, 03:55 PM
Maarten
Thanks Don, Peter, George, Rick, Joey, Mike and Oleg for signing up.
Looking forward seeing you all at the second F5J contest in RI.
It's going to be fun, fun, fun!
Looking for more pilots to join us.

Maarten
Mar 10, 2018, 09:16 PM
Maarten
Great to see Oleg, Brady and Richard willing to make the trip up North!

With Wally on board too we have a real contest going!

Looking forward to more pilots signing up.

Maarten
Mar 12, 2018, 06:00 PM
I'm trying to add it to my calendar- waiting on OK from work to book the time off

Jean
Apr 07, 2018, 04:11 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Holy cow!... a whole bunch of serious Heavy Hitters signing up here.
Apr 07, 2018, 10:37 AM
Maarten
Hey Kenny,
Join the fun. It's going to be a good one.
Maarten
May 12, 2018, 01:04 AM
Maarten
Thanks Mike for joining the F5J fun.
The field looks pretty strong! This is not going to be an easy contest.
But we need more pilots to sign up!
May 23, 2018, 08:32 PM
Maarten
Trophies are here!
They are gorgeous.
First place trophy is solid crystal.
You can only win it if you beat the best of the best in the ESL!
May 24, 2018, 03:19 PM
Well, the blue is for me. Come get what's left!!
May 27, 2018, 11:06 PM
Maarten:
I was looking at the list of approved gadgets you linked to and didn't see the Altis Nano. Does that mean it's no go, or is the list just out of date?

---------
Anyone:
Would love to hear opinions about the various altimeter gadgets. Can you reprogram an Altis back and forth from ALES to F5J?

Hoping to be there this time, though possibly with a flying beer cooler if I don't get my act together.
May 28, 2018, 12:11 AM
Team Hello Kitty
Gents, the Nano is approved. We are making an effort to keep a current list of approved devices at this link:
http://www.f5j-usa.com/fai-f5j-altimeters/

Thanks.
Chris
www.f5j-usa.com
May 28, 2018, 10:20 AM
Maarten
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
Maarten:
I was looking at the list of approved gadgets you linked to and didn't see the Altis Nano. Does that mean it's no go, or is the list just out of date?

---------
Anyone:
Would love to hear opinions about the various altimeter gadgets. Can you reprogram an Altis back and forth from ALES to F5J?

Hoping to be there this time, though possibly with a flying beer cooler if I don't get my act together.
Hi Lincoln
Would be great to have you at the RI contest.

Thanks Chris for answering Lincoln's question.

There will also be a bunch of F5J cam's available for pilots without a unit. However let me or David know in advance so we can reserve a unit for you.

Maarten
May 28, 2018, 02:24 PM
Great looking trophies!
Jun 15, 2018, 12:24 AM
Just tried to order one of those CAM F5J units, but Soaring USA's site is being difficult. Sigh. I might need a loaner, though probably not.

Quick Reply