This thread is privately moderated by Ian444, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 22, 2018, 05:45 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Thread OP
Discussion

Silverlight - Silverware FC (with stock radio chip)

I've been working on a very simple 2-sided pcb to make it easier to use a silverware FC on a brushless quad. Just posting some build docs and pics for now, will give a few more details when I get time.

Gerbers are in the zip file and named in the OshPark convention, but submit at your own risk. They should work, all care has been taken, but until a board is received, inspected and built, it is a risk. There is an Oshpark page to order the boards now. Some boards are in transit to Yets to be checked out right now Mar 5th 2018. Will update in due course.

Gerber files for Seeedstudio are attached to post #10, and details on how to order are on post #66.

So far, around 10 boards have been built and tested (Mar 5th 2018), no issues so far, except I had to replace the antenna cap with a wire link to make telemetry solid on just one board. YMMV. It was designed to be as easy to build as possible, as I am new to SMD soldering, and I think I succeeded there. The only thing I changed from V1a to the current V1b is the footprint of the main processor, the rows of pads were a bit farther apart than I would like.

The board uses a schematic similar to a stock H8 mini blue board, except it uses a MPU-6050 gyro, and a different pin-out 2S-tolerant ZMR330 regulator. The pcb dimensions are just under 19mm square. The completed board weighs 1.73gm with antenna and esc harness.

Links to more DIY Silverware FC projects:

Silverlight 5V FPV
Schematic and board pics
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=595
Oshpark listing for Silverlight 5V FPV board (Eagle board file can be D/L'd there too)
https://oshpark.com/profiles/Pedro147
BOM
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=628

SilverSPI files
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=653

Silvermicro files
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=695

Dedicated Brushless Silverware FC
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Silverware-FC

AlienWhoopF0 board (commercially available or DIY)
https://github.com/brucesdad13/AlienWhoopF0
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/VT2tjRq6

Hopefully more to come, and a few commercial brushless boards would be welcome additions too.
Last edited by Ian444; Nov 29, 2018 at 05:56 AM. Reason: added another pic
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2018, 04:03 AM
I finished assembling one board, it seems to work in a static test, is the regulator 3s capable?

I'll install it in a quad soon. My confidence in smd soldering is slowly increasing, I guess it takes lots of practice
Jan 30, 2018, 05:07 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Thread OP
I doubt the reg is 3S capable [EDIT - looks like it is 3S capable now] I have one here I can test if you like (with a variable power supply). The LED would need to draw as little current as possible for 3S to work. The ZMR330 reg itself is good for voltages way above 3S though, but limited to 50mA current. The heat dissipation is the limiting factor.

The ZMR330 is probably no good for 1S either, as it needs 4.74V input to maintain regulation. A different reg could be chosen for 1S, and probably 2.8V would be better. The reg pinout is different to a stock silverware board, but I did manage to solder a ZMR330 to an E011 board for 2S operation (rotate it 120 degrees). So possibly a H8 mini blue/E011/possibly B03 reg could be placed on this board 120 degrees out for 1S. EDIT - refer post #90. I tried to do a footprint for both regs for the V1b version but it didn't look good. Another idea was to put a location under the board for the different pinout reg, but it would mean putting the components under the board closer together and make it more difficult to build. RS Components (Australia) do free shipping within Oz, I use them if they have what I want at a reasonable price.

Coming to grips with SMD soldering isn't too hard if you are already competent at soldering. I laid this board out to make it as easy as possible, as I am just learning too. After 2 or 3 boards built, I think it gets a lot easier from there.
Last edited by Ian444; Mar 26, 2018 at 01:07 AM. Reason: update on 1S and 3S operation
Jan 30, 2018, 05:26 AM
Droning on.
Good to know about it being not as useful for 1S. Was going to put it on a 1s build!

My STM32 chips arrived today
Jan 30, 2018, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian444
I doubt the reg is 3S capable, I have one here I can test if you like (with a variable power supply). The LED would need to draw as little current as possible for 3S to work. The ZMR330 reg itself is good for voltages way above 3S though, but limited to 50mA current. The heat dissipation is the limiting factor.

The ZMR330 is probably no good for 1S either, as it needs 4.74V input to maintain regulation. A different reg could be chosen for 1S, and probably 2.8V would be better. The reg pinout is different to a stock silverware board, but I did manage to solder a ZMR330 to a H8 mini blue for 2S operation (rotate it 120 degrees). So possibly a H8 mini blue/E011/possibly B03 reg could be placed on this board 120 degrees out for 1S. I tied to do a footprint for both regs for the V1b version but it didn't look good. Another other idea was to put a location under the board for the different pinout reg, but it would mean putting the components under the board closer together and make it more difficult to build. RS Components (Australia) do free shipping within Oz, I use them if they have what I want at a reasonable price.

Coming to grips with SMD soldering isn't too hard if you are already competent at soldering. I laid this board out to make it as easy as possible, as I am just learning too. After 2 or 3 boards built, I think it gets a lot easier from there.
yeah, it won't work on 1s, I tried it but it won't bind at 3.6. I get things from rs sometimes, but some items are in packs. I did get a $0.35 allen key free shipped once
Jan 30, 2018, 05:39 AM
My smd soldering is probably going to get easier with some finer solder, and maybe better flux. And I have to try the hot air stuff, too, I just cleaned out my junk boxes, and I have no smd things to experiment on. Just a matter of time till I find something
Jan 30, 2018, 05:40 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yets
Good to know about it being not as useful for 1S. Was going to put it on a 1s build!

My STM32 chips arrived today
Sorry mate, looks like I'm just making it up as I go I can have a look for a 1S reg that will suit the pinout tomorrow night. As stated above, I think a reg from a stock board can be "made to fit" for 1S, I should try that tomorrow night too and take a pic, post it here. The board was specifically designed for 2S or 5V BEC input as that's 90% of what I fly, I wasn't really thinking of others at the time I drew it up Just something I might be able to actually build and fly on 2S, with neat wiring and small form factor, was what I was after.

I guess people will wonder why I chose a reg with different pinout - it was the only one I could find on RS Components that would handle 2S. I did want to be able to use as many parts as possible from stock FC's, but this one eluded me. I think a MPU-6052C will work on this board too and just leave out the 2n2 cap, but best to check the datasheet again to be sure. The 6052C is found on a few other 1S quads, I think it would work but not tested.
Last edited by Ian444; Jan 30, 2018 at 05:59 AM.
Jan 30, 2018, 05:50 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverxxx
My smd soldering is probably going to get easier with some finer solder, and maybe better flux. And I have to try the hot air stuff, too, I just cleaned out my junk boxes, and I have no smd things to experiment on. Just a matter of time till I find something
I'm using 0.7mm solder, I wouldn't like to use any bigger. The hot air gun I set to 280-300 degrees and air at 2-2.5. Flux I have is MG Chemicals "no clean flux paste" as recommended by Pedro and seems good, I got it from Amazon. With the hot air, if you tin the pcb pads, and tin the component pads, put some flux down, the hot air works well with no extra solder. You need to hold the component though so it doesn't get blown away. I practiced removing and replacing some parts on a JJ1000 board, and used the gyro from the JJ1000 on the first board.
Last edited by Ian444; Jan 30, 2018 at 06:00 AM.
Jan 30, 2018, 06:04 AM
Droning on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian444
Sorry mate, looks like I'm just making it up as I go I can have a look for a 1S reg that will suit the pinout tomorrow night. As stated above, I think a reg from a stock board can be "made to fit" for 1S, I should try that tomorrow night too and take a pic, post it here. The board was specifically designed for 2S or 5V BEC input as that's 90% of what I fly, I wasn't really thinking of others at the time I drew it up Just something I might be able to actually build and fly on 2S, with neat wiring and small form factor, was what I was after.

I guess people will wonder why I chose a reg with different pinout - it was the only one I could find on RS Components that would handle 2S. I did want to be able to use as many parts as possible from stock FC's, but this one eluded me. I think a MPU-6052C will work on this board too and just leave out the 2n2 cap, but best to check the datasheet again to be sure. The 6052C is found on a few other 1S quads, I think it would work but not tested.
Noooooo , I'm not after 1s! 2s+ is where it's at! In my opinion, 1s is a bit sedate for brushless with the lack of decent small motors so I don't think it's needed on the board.
Feb 01, 2018, 06:54 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Thread OP
I completed a 2nd one tonight, pic attached. I also sent the gerbers that I posted in the 1st post to Seeedstudio to get some more made, this will enable me to check that the files for V1b are OK. Same files but renamed for Seeedstudio, so I attached them below if anyone wants to use Seeedstudio. As mentioned in the first post, the only change was a minor mod to the processor footprint, but these files have not been produced and verified yet, and anything can happen, so I'll be relieved if the V1b files turn out OK.

UPDATE March12 - over half a dozen V1b boards are tested and flying. The V1b files are good to go.
Last edited by Ian444; Mar 12, 2018 at 04:16 AM.
Feb 12, 2018, 02:11 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Thread OP
The V1b boards came back from Seeedstudio, and they look OK, so the posted gerbers for Seeed and Oshpark look good, I'll build one up this week to verify. I've built 3 V1a boards now and all seem OK.
Last edited by Ian444; Mar 11, 2018 at 05:15 AM. Reason: clarity
Feb 12, 2018, 02:50 AM
Droning on.
Looking forward to it
Feb 16, 2018, 05:02 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Thread OP
Flight tests are all good so far with the V1b board. I used a lot of parts from a B03 FC, at least 80% of the components. That was an experiment as I found some B03 boards on Ebay for AUD $5.40, which use a MPU-6050A, which is a variant of the 6050. I found that the tiny 0402 parts from the B03 board can fit on the 0603 pads of my board, and the 6050A works with one cap left off and the gyro address changed to the B03 value. I was really stoked with the weight of 1.23gm including antenna. This last lot of pcb's was made in 0.8mm material to save a little more weight. I could not be happier with this.

It makes me wonder, when a FC/rx can be built so cheaply, with 500+ meter range LOS, weighs 1.25gm, has telemetry range to around 50m, tx PID tuning, the lowest latency of any system I know of, and flies so well, what is wrong with us? Why is this silverware such an underground/little known thing? (This question does not need to be answered, just thinking out loud ) Some pics:
Feb 16, 2018, 08:23 AM
Droning on.
Fantastic Ian. Those are some really good questions you ask. I guess all things start off quite niche but with pushing it in the right direction silverware could be quite mainstream. It depends on the user though, they'll want a nice GUI or interface that will allow for easy use. Betaflight is so established it'll be difficult, what we need is a few people doing YouTube videos on silverware settings/flashing etc.

Anyway, all my parts came in for my build using the this board. I was going to start building the board today but the weather is so nice and I know it's going to take me a few hours to get it done.
Feb 16, 2018, 03:56 PM
Droning on.
So, I've just about completed a board. Took me hours and was very frustrating! Anyway, I'm missing a 100n capacitor did the regulator input, anywhere I can salvage it from?

Quick Reply