Jan 22, 2018, 01:09 AM
rip
Thread OP
Cool

Eclipson model Y 3D-printed foamy weight?

Found this on thingverse... fascinating!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2752892

3D printed airplane - Eclipson Model Y (3 min 25 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2018, 08:14 AM
Nice one, watching for more information
Jan 22, 2018, 08:55 AM
Retired CAD guy
I think I like your part mating strategy.

I'll print up a set to see how well it works.

Thanx ;>}
Jan 22, 2018, 09:50 AM
rip
Thread OP
A difference here is that the plane was designed to be printed.
Other designs are adaptations from scale models or other existing balsa designs.
I am totally following him. Can’t wait for the comes up with the final version.
Jan 22, 2018, 12:59 PM
My planes plow into the field
Simple enough design as compared to 3DLabPrints models. If this works out and I hope it does, designing more planes should be very straight forward. This is a trust inside a wing skin. See photo of cut away of the first wing section.
Jan 22, 2018, 02:52 PM
rip
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmertom
Simple enough design as compared to 3DLabPrints models. If this works out and I hope it does, designing more planes should be very straight forward. This is a trust inside a wing skin. See photo of cut away of the first wing section.
You are correct.
I wonder though about why 3DLabPrints made their models so complex. Hopefully this designer is not hitting the same walls as the 3DLabPrints folks did.
Is always nice to see several ideas going.
Jan 22, 2018, 03:25 PM
3D Printing Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripacheco
You are correct.
I wonder though about why 3DLabPrints made their models so complex. Hopefully this designer is not hitting the same walls as the 3DLabPrints folks did.
Is always nice to see several ideas going.
The 3Dlabprints stuff is complex because the structure is far lighter than something like this. I don't mean to entirely dismiss the guys achievements, as his plane flies, but the wing cube loading on that thing is 14.1.

That's massively high for a simple high wing plane. You wouldn't not want to use this method of construction for something with less wing area, like a warbird.

I really like his nose wheel rubber band arrangement though.
Jan 29, 2018, 05:28 PM
I'm currently printing the fuselage and it seems awesome , the joints holds up well , this is just a prototype but the assembly is straight-forward.
here some picture of the Airplanes
Jan 29, 2018, 07:58 PM
rip
Thread OP
The plane is now available for sale

An airplane designed to be printed:

https://www.eclipson-airplanes.com
Jan 30, 2018, 08:52 PM
Here's the one I'm currently making just waiting on the wheels to come in from China lol. Really easy to put together can't wait to get her off the ground. I'm not big in the rc community however I am big in 3d printing. This was just as simple as 3d printing gets.
Jan 30, 2018, 08:54 PM
rip
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speddmn
Here's the one I'm currently making just waiting on the wheels to come in from China lol. Really easy to put together can't wait to get her off the ground. I'm not big in the rc community however I am big in 3d printing. This was just as simple as 3d printing gets.
Care to share what printer, slicer filament you used?
Jan 31, 2018, 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speddmn
Wow that looks good
What is the weight without any electrics?
I have just started to print mine
Anet A8
Matter Control
White parts abs
Red pla
Im new to 3d printing and following the setting in the instructions.
Thy final colour scheme will be whatever filament I have
Joe
Jan 31, 2018, 12:29 PM
How do you print the canopy?

Ignore found out
Last edited by Jockadopolus; Jan 31, 2018 at 12:49 PM.
Jan 31, 2018, 03:37 PM
Tried 'Search'???
Printed out a test wingtip last night, ridiculously heavy, no-way will it fly and took 4 hours (I forgot it was printing).

Oh, Whoops, what is that where it clearly states NO INFILL?????? Why did I save to SD card slices with 50% Infill, reading problem, eyesight problem or just stupid??? Answers on a post card please.

Printing a second test wingtip (without infill this time)......

Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
Jan 31, 2018, 04:23 PM
Mine is almost completed, I'm in contact with the designer, and trust me the next model will be absolutely a blast however here some pictures of the landing gear full printed

Quick Reply