Drone Rescues Two Teenagers in Australia - RC Groups

Drone Rescues Two Teenagers in Australia

Watch this video to see how a drone saved the lives of two teenagers off the coast of Australia.

Splash

Drone Reached Swimmers Before Lifeguards Could

Two 17 year boys were recently saved by a drone off the Australian coast. It is being dubbed the "world's first" rescue of its kind and we're thankful for both the boys being saved and for the positive news for the drone industry. The two boys were caught in a rip current while body surfing in the ocean off of Lennox Beach. 10ft waves began to pound them when someone on the beach alerted the lifeguards to the situation. The drone was deployed and located the swimmers in just over a minute.

The drone was equipped with an inflatable safety flotation device which was dropped with near pinpoint accuracy right where the swimmers were. They quickly grabbed on and made it back to shore with no injuries. It was estimated that it would have normally taken lifeguards around 3 times longer to reach the boys. This is amazing and proves the technology is an invaluable tool for these types of operations. Just check out the video below to see the drone in action deploying the flotation device.

Jan 19, 2018, 10:28 AM
I read that the boys themselves said they did not think they needed rescuing, they just thought that the operator was trying to tell them there were sharks present.
Jan 19, 2018, 10:34 AM
RCG Admin
They were sure quick to grab on to the flotation though. I would be glad that thing showed up.
Jan 19, 2018, 11:11 AM
USAF Vet Senior Member

Different drone on MSM.com

Different drone shown on MSN.com. Looks like a heavy lift copter.
Jan 19, 2018, 11:45 AM
RCG Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterv
Different drone shown on MSN.com. Looks like a heavy lift copter.
Different heli, same company though.
Jan 19, 2018, 11:55 AM
USAF Vet Senior Member
Well. it worked! Good job! Even if they did not need help it is a good proof of concept!
Jan 19, 2018, 12:17 PM
AeroDan
Sure wish the damn media would give praise for stories like this, instead of criticism for us hobbiests.
Jan 19, 2018, 08:37 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
^ What he said.
Jan 20, 2018, 02:15 AM
Valiant Poultry
This is the type of stuff that needs to hit the air...things that show how "drones" can actually be helpful tools out there in the world.
Jan 20, 2018, 05:09 AM
When the story first 'hit the ground' here in Oz, it was reported that the lifeguards got the report of people in danger, and simultaneously started to launch the drone, and deploy a quad bike with two life guards.
The drone got there, made a decision and deployed in apparently 2 minutes or so.
The Quad bike had only just got into position on the sand at that time.

I hate modern media, (never let the truth get in the way of a good story), but I dunno, maybe early reports of this event got it right.

or was it staged, a ruthless selling point to the world??? did man actually step foot on the moon....
Jan 20, 2018, 02:21 PM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold miner
When the story first 'hit the ground' here in Oz, it was reported that the lifeguards got the report of people in danger, and simultaneously started to launch the drone, and deploy a quad bike with two life guards.
The drone got there, made a decision and deployed in apparently 2 minutes or so.
The Quad bike had only just got into position on the sand at that time.

I hate modern media, (never let the truth get in the way of a good story), but I dunno, maybe early reports of this event got it right.

or was it staged, a ruthless selling point to the world??? did man actually step foot on the moon....
Funny cause over here the news is reporting that the drone was out on a different mission and was redeployed to that area mid mission.. Then accessed the situation and decided to drop flotation. Regardless of how it got there, it did and completed what it was designed to do.
Jan 20, 2018, 10:41 PM
Just say no to quadcopters
Looked kind of staged after watching the video, twice.

Seems like an excellent concept!
Jan 21, 2018, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Plane
Looked kind of staged after watching the video, twice.

Seems like an excellent concept!
Oh there's no doubt proof of concept works..
Development and deployment is now where its at I'm sure...
And then legislation........ I'm not allowed to fly on a crowded beach, so why should you..
(Hey I know one is for rescue, and I'm just making an epic video, but the outcomes are the same, should the UAV come down..)
If it was staged, it still proved a point.

Hey, they may approve uav flights on beaches if you stay 30 mtrs away from people and report immediately people in trouble, or sharks, crocs etc..?
Jan 21, 2018, 11:07 AM
Just say no to quadcopters
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold miner
Oh there's no doubt proof of concept works..
Development and deployment is now where its at I'm sure...
And then legislation........ I'm not allowed to fly on a crowded beach, so why should you..
(Hey I know one is for rescue, and I'm just making an epic video, but the outcomes are the same, should the UAV come down..)
If it was staged, it still proved a point.

Hey, they may approve uav flights on beaches if you stay 30 mtrs away from people and report immediately people in trouble, or sharks, crocs etc..?
Epic is a matter of opinion.

When they approve flights that are greater than 30 meters from people, that is when everything goes sideways!! Fact is people cannot measure. Just look at cigarette smokers....
Jan 23, 2018, 07:37 PM
Thanks for posting - won't that give CASA and FAA food for thought!

Quick Reply