Aug 13, 2019, 03:13 PM
Diver-driver
Just send a mail to Henry, the mai address you find on the page somewhere, a link to here and maybe also a headsup about Gupis ship
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2019, 10:14 PM
SCALE Sailor
email Jan at: jan@cocatrez.net

He's mostly interested in guts over glamour, that is he want's pics of how things work, the insides, etc.
Aug 14, 2019, 04:39 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the info guys.

I couldn't find 'Henry' , but I just sent an email to Jan. I expect he will tell me what else he needs?

Rod
Aug 16, 2019, 06:32 PM
Thread OP
I heard back from Jan tonight. He is going to add Dragon to his Square Rigger List, but it will likely take a while. busy busy.

I am at a standstill on the Brig, I've been busy too. I think that I will probably put it on hold for cooler weather.

I did try a quick and dirty Gripes tie down on the yawl at the stern. It does make things more stable. I have to add some dedicated tie points to do it right. I will just remove the boat when I take it to the lake, for now. The boats still need the oars and boat hooks painted and installed, too.

Rod
Aug 18, 2019, 10:07 PM
pretty to me
Sep 15, 2019, 05:43 PM
Thread OP
yancovitch, Thanks for the kind words. I think it's Pretty too, but I guess I am too close to it.

Received a note from Jan the other day. He hopes to update the Square Rigger List by the end of the month. He said he was impressed with my little Brig. I am honored!

On another subject. I was just looking at the RC Sailing Thread. I watched videos of Archibald Russell, Stad Amsterdam, Sea Cloud and The Brig Siren. They were all sailing and tacking back and forth and doing it muchly better than any of my attempts. I suddenly noticed something important, I think, that I had been missing. In all cases the helm is put over, and the ship enters the turn. Then bracing the Mainmast is delayed until the bow turns almost 90 degrees. Then when the he bow comes around about another 45 degrees the Foremast is finally braced over. It's all in the timing!

I have been doing it all wrong, bracing the mainmast and the foremast much too early. Gee, maybe that's why it doesn't work very well!

I haven't been able to work in the shop or to go to the lake in a while, stuff to do, too darn hot, and or no wind.

Rod
Sep 22, 2019, 04:21 PM
Thread OP
I managed to make it to the lake yesterday. My daughter and family came along and she got some videos and photos for me. I brought along the Brig as well as my schooner. Winds were not perfect, but then neither was I ! At one point my granddaughter had to wade in and rescue the brig, as I couldn't get it to tack back to my side of the lake and it was headed for the Lee Shore !

I am still having some trouble keeping track of where the sails are and an getting the yards crossed up. I'm sure it has a lot to do with my distance vision.

I obviously need a lot more practice !!
Rod
Last edited by rkildu; Sep 22, 2019 at 04:31 PM.
Sep 22, 2019, 08:58 PM
Rod,
Congrats on getting on the water!!!
The brig and schooner look great.
As for sailing, if you managed to get out and back and nothing burned up or malfunctioned, you did better than I ever did with Syren.
It took years of sailing, re-rigging, re-wiring, re-cutting sails, re-mounting yards, re-fitting servos, etc etc to finally get reliable performance. And took plenty of practice hours and figuring out how to make different maneuvers. I'd say you are way ahead of the game
I found that I couldn't sail unless I was not only near the brig, but also could control my angle of view of the sails. It just can't be done well from shore. So i started sailing from a kayak. I could stay close enough to read the sails, and as you said, in a prevailing wind, you just cant tack a scale square rigged model model into the wind efficiently enough to get it back home before the sun sets...so the kayak lets you hook up a towline and paddle home.
Anyway, your vision is probably fine. And your square rigger sailing is probably fine too for the first time out.
Congrats again.
Sep 23, 2019, 07:26 AM
Huzzah!!! ...for the sails and photos. I'd say scale-sail are for those who like to tinker, can handle delayed gratification, and find joy in creating.
Sep 23, 2019, 02:08 PM
Balsa Lover
Congrats! Your boats look brilliant on the water!
Sep 24, 2019, 02:45 PM
Thread OP
All is not wonderful, I found that I had some binding in the rudder cables that I must deal with. I'll have to rerun them with a bit of slack. I will also have to do something about the yards crossing and locking up. I may have to reduce the length of the Main Yard.

And of course practice, practice, practice!

I need to edit the videos we took the other day but here is the best of them. A pretty good shot of the Brig Tacking, but cut off just as it comes around. Of course the maneuver is a bit clumsy:

MVI 0078 (0 min 19 sec)
Sep 25, 2019, 04:28 PM
Nice sailing.
Rudder rigging...
Use short lengths of bungee as shown...eliminates all problems.
Rig it fairly taught with firm bungee. Need to experiment a bit.
Slots in servo arm allow easy adjustment of bungee length to balance tension port and stbd.
Sep 26, 2019, 10:31 AM
Thread OP
DANL, Thanks for the idea.
My rudder is set up a little differently, but I think that I can adapt this and use the cleats that I already have on the servo arm for adjust-ability.
Sep 28, 2019, 07:36 PM
Thread OP
DanL, I bought a Sit-on-Top one person Kayak about a year or so back, with the intent of setting it up as a rescue tug and camera platform, etc. I have attached some floating cable and a hook to it for towing my models. The Brig has an eye screw in the cutwater, I need to add one to the schooner. I lost the schooner a couple of years back, sailed it out of radio range, and had a heck of a time getting it back. Imagine The African Queen in the Sea of Reeds! Only deeper water.

The Kayak has been hanging under my carport since I bought it. I FINALLY decided that I need to take it out for a shake-down cruise today. It fits in the truck bed fine, but it is a little awkward to carry and load with my messed up right shoulder. As soon as I got home I ordered a Kayak Dolly for easier mobility. Should solve that issue.

It is interesting to operate, Tricky to mount, rocks side to side easily when paddling. I quickly found out I was trying too hard. It likes easy paddling. After beaching there is no graceful way to get out. My aging knees made it interesting. I finally just rolled over and got out on my knees.

Rod
Mar 06, 2020, 04:31 PM
Thread OP

We are now on the "Internet Squire Rigger List"

I just received a note from Jan. The Brig Dragon is now on the 'Internet Square List. I'm up there with the Real RC Ship Builders now!

http://www.cocatrez.net/Water/RC_Squ...reRiggers.html

I haven't been able to do any more work on "Dragon" in a a long while. I hope to get back out soon and finish up the Bow Trim and fix a few other hings that I am not happy with.

Many thanks to all who helped me with this little project.
More soon, hopefully,
Rod
Last edited by rkildu; Mar 06, 2020 at 07:08 PM.

Quick Reply