This thread is privately moderated by day o, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 17, 2018, 03:11 PM
FPV = Cardio
Thread OP
Discussion

6000mAh lipo for my Taranis QX7

Thanks to this youtuber that found a lipo that fits PERFECTLY into the QX7 battery tray, I now have a claimed 6000mAh (5000mAh-ish actual) pack for my Taranis. Four 3000mAh cells wired up 2S2P. Now I just have to fix my balance charger to quit complaining about low voltage when charging 2S batteries so that I can charge it fully.

Taranis Q X7 LIPO battery upgrade 5000mAh (5 min 46 sec)

EDIT: I messed up the balance plug wiring. I blame the 2:00am lipo surgery. I stripped it all down and rebuilt it correctly, and while making it easier on the eyes too.
Last edited by day o; Jan 18, 2018 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Added updated pic
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2018, 03:12 PM
Nice Work
Jan 18, 2018, 03:36 PM
FPV = Cardio
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Ribeiro
Nice Work
Thanks!
Feb 03, 2018, 12:24 AM
FPV = Cardio
Thread OP
It's been about 2weeks with this battery pack. Since then, I've probably flown 12 packs total due to weather. I also helped troubleshoot an sbus connectivity issue on a coworker's Lumenier Micro Lux v2 FC using my QX7 bound to an XSR receiver for about a continuous 2hrs. My Taranis says I still have 8.1V in the pack! At this rate, I won't have to recharge this pack until Spring! Hopefully, the voltage doesn't just drop off a cliff after a certain point.
Mar 23, 2018, 09:07 AM
Can someone explain the attraction of a lipo for the Taranis please? I have a Q X7 & I use 6 of the NiMH 2450mah AA-sized Ladda batteries from Ikea (https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/70303876/). No problems storing a spare set of batteries at full charge as it's NiMH. Seems to last forever between changes!

The only problem with this is that it's very very slightly larger than standard AA & I had to remove some of the plastic dividers between the battery slots in the Taranis battery holder.
Mar 23, 2018, 12:23 PM
FPV = Cardio
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarpenter
Can someone explain the attraction of a lipo for the Taranis please? I have a Q X7 & I use 6 of the NiMH 2450mah AA-sized Ladda batteries from Ikea (https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/70303876/). No problems storing a spare set of batteries at full charge as it's NiMH. Seems to last forever between changes!

The only problem with this is that it's very very slightly larger than standard AA & I had to remove some of the plastic dividers between the battery slots in the Taranis battery holder.
Let me put it this way. I built that lipo pack on Jan 17th, per the posting date (8.4v starting). I fly about 6 packs a weekend (not a lot by many standards, but I have a wife and kids), and maybe 4 packs during the week if I get home with enough daylight and free time to fly. And then I do some troubleshooting or tweaking expo or PID tuning. I STILL have not had to charge it since Jan 17th. I'm still on the original charge. After flying 8 packs last weekend when I had several friends over for a BBQ and quad flying, I dipped down to 7.8v remaining. I plan to re-charge when I hit 6.6v. At this rate, I won't have to recharge until Fall.

I used to use 2200mah Ni-MH 1.2V batteries in the stock holder as well. I was using EBL brand from Amazon. Yes, they were very tight. And they only lasted maybe 3 weeks or so. They drop off really fast. Six 2200mah 1.2V batteries in series still only yields 2200mah capacity.
Mar 23, 2018, 07:52 PM
Ah I see. Iím learning something every day! Iíve been thinking that a 6000mah 2s1p Lipo would be two packs of 3000mah in series. Now I get it.
Apr 10, 2018, 10:31 AM
Nice, thanks for sharing. Definitely gotta make some myself.

Is there any weight difference from the default one ?
Apr 11, 2018, 09:21 AM
FPV = Cardio
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedviik
Nice, thanks for sharing. Definitely gotta make some myself.

Is there any weight difference from the default one ?
The lipo pack is 200g. I weighed a single AA Ni-MH that I was using previously at 29g. So 29g * 6 = 174g. The plastic battery holder is 20g, so its pretty close.
Apr 12, 2018, 12:18 AM
Okay, cheers.

This hobby always got me thinking about them extra grams.
Sep 07, 2018, 08:37 AM
Wow. That is a BIG battery pack. I'm using a pack that is about a quarter of that size. I charge it when it gets down to 7.8V which usually takes a couple of weeks. The cost was $8 US.
Sep 07, 2018, 08:55 AM
FPV = Cardio
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen
Wow. That is a BIG battery pack. I'm using a pack that is about a quarter of that size. I charge it when it gets down to 7.8V which usually takes a couple of weeks. The cost was $8 US.
Original build and charge was Jan 17. Today is Sept 7. I'm still on the original charge! Only down to 7.5v. I was planning to run it down to 7.0v but at this rate, that wont be until Jan again! I fly on average at least 4packs a week at 4-5min per pack. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Voice prompts and haptic feedback is on.
Sep 08, 2018, 11:03 AM
That is incredible! 8 months, holy .
Sep 12, 2018, 07:46 AM
Almost a whole year on one charge! Unbelievable.
Sep 12, 2018, 09:42 AM
FPV = Cardio
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by montis
Almost a whole year on one charge! Unbelievable.
They are lipo, though, and the lipo nerds would probably advise against treating a lipo like this. But at this rate, it's almost worth building a new one every year just for the convenience.

Quick Reply