Nov 23, 2004, 04:41 AM
del
del
Thread OP

New? fly-toy from Toys R US.

Is this new? Or have I just failed to see it?

I just ordered one. At worst, I get new parts!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=glance&s=toys

--del
Last edited by del; Nov 23, 2004 at 05:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2004, 08:50 AM
Del,
This looks just like something I was looking at with interest, in a local newspaper here in the UK. It had been reduced from 20 to 9.99. The newspaper picture was rather fuzzy.
Your web pic's give a better idea of what the plane looks like. I can't see if there is any banking/ turning control though, it looks as if there is just a sliding throttle quadrant? It doent say in the blurb, if there is a turning control, but it says it can be flown inside the house! Interesting carbon construction and ring to protect the prop and a spare wing included.
Let us know how you get on with this.
The other Graham
Nov 23, 2004, 08:53 AM
hi graham i made a post some where about this i have 2!

there ok!

waiting to convert mine!

comes with a lipo and 2 sets of wings how it works is when you open her up she climes them when you let off she dips to the left letting you do some nice circles!

i can fly mine in a very very small room!

ROG is posable on any surface!

very fun hope this helps

cosha

ps got mine from argos 5 months ago 19.99 now there 29.99??

dont know what thats baout
Nov 23, 2004, 09:42 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
There are several threads dealing with these. I forget what they are called, which makes it harder to search. They have 2 channels: motor on/off, and turn-left/go straight. Yes, they do not turn in both directions, there are only two buttons to push.

In the gym where I saw them flying, they did amuse the adults for about 5 minutes and then they gave them to the kids. They did survive the kids' abuse for quite a while and kept them amused for a long time.

They seem to be sturdy enough (see 'abuse' above) to warrant the effeort to convert. They are marginally powered and will require some work, but may be worth your efforts.
Nov 23, 2004, 01:44 PM
I have already hacked one of these. See the thread, 70% micro Tifo It''s actaully one channel. The wings are canted so they always fly in a circle. The GB looks pretty good but be very careful when you remove the lipo. It's glued to a plastic frame member so I damaged it when I tried to unglue it. So much for that. I had to buy another lipo. WHat you can do is hack it so you get a battery powered 1 cell battery charger. I think Mike Taylor is talking about something else. The controler has no button but has a slider that controls the motor. It called the Jasman Vroom Zoom
Nov 23, 2004, 01:58 PM
Sussex, UK
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...oductId=108591

They are still 29.99 in argos.

I wonder why they didn't make a version with steering?
Nov 23, 2004, 02:03 PM
The ceiling is the limit!
If you were to convert it to 2 or 3 channel you would have to build another wing from carbon fibre so it would not turn to one way. take out the 1 channel rx and replace it with bit, infra red, or just the normal jmp or rffs radio. Keep the speed control, motor and maybe the prop and the battery in the plane. You could still use the charger if you use the same lipo that was in the plane originally. I do not know if the lipo would have enough power to fly it.
The plane seems a good price for what you get.
Cannot wait to see if anyone has converted this plane.

Alex
Nov 23, 2004, 10:19 PM

VrRoom Zoom

Hi all,

The plane is called a VrRoom Zoom and there have been a couple of very short threads about it elsewhere.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7&page=2&pp=15

http://www.smallflyingarts.com/cgi-b...num=1094732522

I purchased it just because I could fly it in my classroom between periods. If you launch it level and don't apply too much throttle, it will make about an 8' circle in the classroom without climbing and hitting the ceiling. However, it is not as easy as it sounds, because the Tx is prone to glitches. At that point the plane falls off in another direction and begin a new circle from that point, invariably into the wall. This leads to what I consider the achilles heel of this design: the propeller is simply glued to the end of a shaft and is not really replaceable. When it breaks you have a much shorter shaft to place the prop unto, so they can only be done once or maybe twice. Although it is protected by a carbon fiber loop, if an object (such as a desk) strikes the propeller, then it snaps and you are in a predicament. I had to cut the foam away from the motor, replac it with a prop from DEW, force the prop on, and then use a wire configuration to hold the gear assembly on the plane. The other problem with the versions I saw and flew was it is way tail heavy, and no real way of moving the CG. To balance it I used paper clips. That is fine until the plane is a bit higher in the air (say in the gym) and the inevitably glitch occrus: the plane then takes a straight nose dive, breaking the propeller.

It is a cool idea for a little fun tight space flying, but did not prove to be durable. I am not really skilled enough to hack the plane, although it probably could be made into a good little indoor plane. If they would move the CG and make the prop repairable, I would purchase another one. They are only about 25 dollars here in SE Asia.
Hope this is useful.

I have one intact carbon fiber frame and a couple of wings. If I could find an inexpensive way to hook up a new motor and prop system I would be able to put it back into action. Any suggestions?
Hope this is useful.
Nov 23, 2004, 11:53 PM
Cross Into The Blue

Suggestions?

Okay, I knew this plane would come up someday, anyway, my fathers good
friend is the main designer for this company (which operates out of Germany)
He sent me 2 free ones . One came broken in the mail (Carbon Fiber
snapped) and the other flew for 2 months before the motor broke from
impact (something stupid I did , not the design quality) When the
correct C.G is established with the use of modelling clay, it flies in tight 5ft diameter circles. I personally was a bit skeptical at first at what the performance of a single-channel motor controlled plane would fly like, but with its generous polyhedral, it flies beautifully. I've already sent some e-mails to this man (the designer) outlining how great it would be if the company could utilize magnetic actuators for 2 channel motor and rudder control. Needless to say, this would still fly in your living-room (mine did! ) and still achieve 8min+ flights. However, all the Actuator would do would be to control which way you want the circles to be flown, and will control the diameter of the circles, unless you flew in a gym, in that scenario, the 2 channel function would really shine. I think I should also suggest to him the use of a "stick" as opposed to pushbuttons for the 2nd channel. Because of the actuator, my guess is the price would be upped to $30, $40 or $50, But I still believe it's worth it, as it is a strong aircraft that flies great, and with a magnetic Actuated rudder, the plane would fly like a dream. Feel free to post or PM me, as The designer would >REALLY< like some input from consumers. Just my 10 cents, I believe that a plane that is in the same class as the wattage Micro-Flyer that can fly in your home is better than the wattage and blows away the competition, even if the price is $50. Whats your input? I would like to hear back!

Thanks,

Sean
Nov 24, 2004, 03:13 AM
Thanks guys, for all that useful information. It sounds worth buying at the price Iv'e seen it at.
Perhaps It was going for 19.99 not 9.99?
Now where did that newspaper cutting go. . .
The other Graham
Nov 24, 2004, 07:03 AM
del
del
Thread OP
OK, sound's like I'm "behind the curve" again... Not that unusual..

But, YES!! Sean, After seeing Wattage MF's dissapear off the local hobby shop's shelves like bottled water in the desert, there is a market. And after
having built a couple of models with the WAMF electronics, and seeing the
reaction of folks at the gym when ya get it to fly slow and actually turn..
it's clear that there is room for improvement, and money to be made.

Anyhoo.. Toys _are_ us... And if I can help _us_ get more toys,
let me know.

--del
Last edited by del; Nov 24, 2004 at 07:11 AM.
Nov 24, 2004, 07:51 AM
wow, its ten bucks??? ill definatly be picking one up when they have them at atores.

i want to get back in to the hobby, but school is taking up all my time

beanoman
Nov 24, 2004, 09:41 AM
Beanoman ---- just (off-topically) curious: What is "Beano"????

Peter
Nov 24, 2004, 09:57 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Didn't you ever see 'Blazing Saddles'? Beano prevents that scene around the campfire...
Nov 24, 2004, 10:29 AM
Many thanks Mike: I had a sneaking suspicion it might be something of that ilk!!

Peter
Last edited by peter frostick; Nov 24, 2004 at 10:34 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply