This thread is privately moderated by Deserteagle, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 17, 2018, 10:35 AM
DesertEagle
Thread OP
Mini-Review

RunCam Split Mini

I received a RunCam Split Mini yesterday and I'm very impressed by how small it is.

The build quality on the camera unit is great but the two boards have to be mated to each other and great care needs to be happen to do it properly. There is a small blue pad that is between both pieces that is used to transfer heat and pins that are on the boards that have to line up perfectly. The blue heating pad needs to stay clean along with the surface to where the blue pad sits on the board surface. If not done properly I think heating will become an issue.

Overall I'm very happy the direction that RunCam went with this unit and with the weight of the unit with metal standoffs is 18g so 13 grams above a Swift micro. The ribbon cable is also much better than the Split V1 and V2 and is more robust. Overall I don't see the need for the V1 or V2 except for the mounting pattern of the mini is 20x20 as opposed to the 30.5 mounting pattern of it's predecessors.

Take a look at my video

RunCam split Mini Review and assembly Amazing! (8 min 47 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Feb 06, 2018, 03:05 PM
I put mine together last night and kept the blue foam in place however the unit seemed to get pretty warm/hot after a few minutes. Is there a cover that needs removed from the foam pad? I've heard some people remove the foam pad, what will happen if there is no pad between the two boards?
Feb 06, 2018, 04:02 PM
DesertEagle
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerneeb
I put mine together last night and kept the blue foam in place however the unit seemed to get pretty warm/hot after a few minutes. Is there a cover that needs removed from the foam pad? I've heard some people remove the foam pad, what will happen if there is no pad between the two boards?
I'm not sure what would happen. I think it's there to transfer heat like a cpu heatsink pad does. I haven't fired mine up as I have been remodeling my basement.
Feb 14, 2018, 07:43 PM
Foam insulates, so I doubt if it is there to aid heat transfer.

It might help prevent any vibration induced movement of one board against the other.

To get a definitive answer, I've posted a question to RunCam. But, they are on vacation for the Chinese New Year till the 20th of Feb. I'll update this post with the answer if/when I get it.
Feb 15, 2018, 11:17 PM
According to RunCam...I'm wrong. Here's their reply:

Quote:
Thanks for your order and inquiry.

It is better to keep the blue piece as it is designed for heat dissipation.
Apr 19, 2018, 03:08 PM
Lover of scale R/C
Had a bad crash today.
Though it looks ok I can't now get it to work.

Powers up the blue LED for about 5 seconds then it turns off.

Any hints please?
May 02, 2018, 03:54 AM
DesertEagle
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Halton
Had a bad crash today.
Though it looks ok I can't now get it to work.

Powers up the blue LED for about 5 seconds then it turns off.

Any hints please?
hmm have you tried a new card? Let us know how you got it fixed or what RC said please.

Quick Reply