Jan 17, 2018, 01:24 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

"IMTH SST1 and Graupner Schottel Drive Unit II 2335 in Shelley Foss Tug

IMTH SST1 and Graupner Schottel Drive Unit II 2335 in Shelley Foss Tug.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2018, 01:31 AM
Thread OP

Graupner Schottel Drive unit II 2335

The 2335.6 belt drive kit and 2335 drive unit used in this build.
Jan 17, 2018, 03:50 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Interesting, that Graupner has their name over the top.
Jan 17, 2018, 10:39 AM
boat butcher
Welcome to the forum .

Mark
Jan 18, 2018, 02:17 AM
Thread OP

Cutting the SST1 circuit card

I was hesitant to cut it for fear of damaging the card. I practiced cutting it using old computer circuit cards from my junk drawer.
I cut it in a scroll saw, actually turned out just fine.
Just practice if you can, I sure needed it.
I cut it because of the tight space and also easy access to the DIP switches and setup button.
With the DIP switches you can control % of speed of the props and also the position of the propeller assembly....let the sticks go, the props turn back to start position or they can stay in the last position.
I have mine set to go back to start position as soon as I release the sticks on my transmitter. My transmitter is the DX6 which has the ability to have the sticks self center on both sides.
Jan 18, 2018, 02:22 AM
Thread OP

SST1 circuit card pics

Here are some pics. I got the carbon boards the circuit card sits on out of the red tag bin at a local hobby store. Not sure what it went to originally.

Any questions please let me know.

Additionally, for videos, how can you post here or is it better to link to YouTube?

Glen.
Jan 18, 2018, 02:29 AM
Thread OP

After cutting

After cutting the board I soldered wire to link the boards back. No color coding, just straight matching it across.

The SST1 circuit card comes with a magnet that I put on top of the servo and after setup, it will know the position of the prop. Actually works just great for me.

I do not pull anything with this setup, I use other tugs for that.
I did this to see if I could actually do it, and crab walking and tight 360 degree turns is just fun.

Glen.
Jan 18, 2018, 02:37 AM
Thread OP

SST1 and Hall effect sensor

Basically, the SST1 is the principle of a Hall effect sensor.
I didn't know what this was, but after much reading and searching....

Used in cars, cam position sensor.....

A Hall effect sensor is a transducer that varies its output voltage in response to a magnetic field. Hall effect sensors are used for proximity switching, positioning, speed detection, and current sensing applications.

Hall effect sensor - Wikipedia
Wikipedia wiki Hall_effect_sensor
Jan 18, 2018, 02:41 AM
Thread OP

More to follow.

More to follow.

If anyone can advise on posting videos, certain file type, how to post videos in this thread here, etc.

Thank you.

Glen.
Jan 18, 2018, 02:48 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Other than the trauma of cutting the circuit boards apart did you find any other
difficulties with instructions, or installation?

What are the specifications of mounting the sensor board, and the magnet?
What parts did you order with the IMTH boards, or is there an all inclusive set that
can be purchased for a given drive?

Jan 18, 2018, 12:21 PM
r/c ships and workboats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki
Other than the trauma of cutting the circuit boards apart did you find any other
difficulties with instructions, or installation?

What are the specifications of mounting the sensor board, and the magnet?
What parts did you order with the IMTH boards, or is there an all inclusive set that
can be purchased for a given drive?

Inquiring minds want to know! Might have to do the same on another.....
Jan 19, 2018, 02:08 AM
Thread OP

SST1 info

Regarding the instructions, here's my interpretation in red pen.

After being patient with the first circuit card setup, the second one went a lot smoother.

There is the initial DIP switch settings you need to ensure are in the right order and then a small led light on the board blinks to let you know what's up and progress during the setup and a button to press.

Another reason I cut the board because if not, programming is quite difficult without being able to see the led light and button.

Again, the spektrum Dx6 works just great with this SST1 card and schottel here. It's what I use across a couple of my boats. I don't even have any airplanes.

This weekend I will take close up pictures of the magnet positioning on the servos in relation to the smaller part of the cut circuit board.
Jan 19, 2018, 02:33 AM
Thread OP

Q&A sensor board magnet, and parts.

Q: What are the specifications of mounting the sensor board, and the magnet?

----The magnet needs to be centered over the circuit board approximately 1/2 inch.
I realized it does NOT need to be so perfect, centered and close to 1/2.
Again, better with pictures I will take this weekend. I don't have any on my iPad.

Q: What parts did you order with the IMTH boards, or is there an all inclusive set that
can be purchased for a given drive.

I had used www.bauer-modelle but they are no longer on the internet or out of business. Another site is: https://www.imth.de/index.php/en/products

Here is the list....not all, but a majority of the main parts I knew I needed to start with.

Other parts...solid wood, resin and I'll let you know more as I remember.

Again, magnet pictures showing position and how I have it laid in this weekend.

Glen.
Jan 19, 2018, 02:41 AM
Thread OP

Couple more pics

Just a couple pics on parts and a servo/magnet picture I used as a reference to build mine.
Jan 19, 2018, 02:46 AM
Thread OP

Circled in red

Circled in red is what I used x 2

Quick Reply