This thread is privately moderated by JureZ, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 16, 2018, 11:15 PM
Sokol
Thread OP
Discussion

Motorized launch dolly project

this is the blog entry for the powered launch dolly.

Starting from a toy RC car, I modified it into a motorized dolly.

the dolly is self powered , running from its own 3S LiPo battery , with a 20A brushed ESC, FrSky receiver.
There are two brushed motors wired in parallel, with gearing. Each motor drives one rear wheel. .
Aileron and rudder are mixed for the steering servo channel , so that dolly pilots may steer with the right and left sticks.
The Throttle is on the left stick.

here is the video of the first day launching the PZ Radian at the Bayside RC Club.

Motorized Dolly launch - Movie (0 min 29 sec)
Last edited by JureZ; Jan 22, 2018 at 11:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2018, 11:21 AM
Sokol
Thread OP
improvements for the version 1.1

increased the wheel base to 58 cm , the front wheels are 30 cm apart and the rear wheels 21 cm.

pictures attached.

a test run in the street shows that it tracks and runs very straight , and is quite stable and easy to steer.
Last edited by JureZ; Jan 19, 2018 at 11:27 AM.
Jan 20, 2018, 12:07 PM
volare est vivere
hi there from Toledo

I made a launch dolly several years ago to launch an 8' span flying wing. The dolly had a battery, rcvr, and servo for steering. The servo on the dolly was plugged into the dolly's rcvr rudder channel, while the elevon servos and ESC ran the flying wing with a second rcvr.

The electric motor of the wing provided the power and after lift off the dolly was retrieved from the field. The dolly was made from 3/4" PVC pipe and fittings, 3" wheels were used due to the grass field.

ciao -rjf

ps: Remember: watch the airplane, not the dolly!! -rjf
Jan 20, 2018, 02:10 PM
Sokol
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray foley
hi there from Toledo

I made a launch dolly several years ago to launch an 8' span flying wing. The dolly had a battery, rcvr, and servo for steering. The servo on the dolly was plugged into the dolly's rcvr rudder channel, while the elevon servos and ESC ran the flying wing with a second rcvr.

The electric motor of the wing provided the power and after lift off the dolly was retrieved from the field. The dolly was made from 3/4" PVC pipe and fittings, 3" wheels were used due to the grass field.

ciao -rjf

ps: Remember: watch the airplane, not the dolly!! -rjf
Thanks Ray !

your project looks very interesting , and similarly to my case, the intention is to get safely airborne a model which may be problematic to launch.

In my case , there are two transmitters and receivers, and two persons in command, one for the dolly and another for the plane.
As both the dolly and the model are powered, it should be possible to get good airspeed for a safe rotation without stall.

Jure Z.
Last edited by JureZ; Jan 20, 2018 at 02:31 PM.
Jan 20, 2018, 02:11 PM
Sokol
Thread OP

Launch Dolly road test video

road test video

Dolly test drive on the street Movie (0 min 58 sec)
Feb 13, 2019, 06:05 AM
Great idea. You could launch almost any plane with that dolly provided you have the ground speed needed. Have you tried launching a Stryker?
Feb 13, 2019, 10:08 AM
Sokol
Thread OP
I have a stryker, but i did not use the dolly to launch it.

The stryker launches well with a hand wing tip swing, discus launch stile.

The dolly is on a long vacation since we have lost our club flying field and runway.
https://www.baysidercclub.com/?fbcli...an0q_Y-a9_Ailg

Quick Reply