72" Wingspan Super Trainer | Maiden Flight Added! - Page 2 - RC Groups
Jan 18, 2018, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draggin'Tail
Very nice build.I had NOT considered subbing masonite/temp. hardboard for plywood. Now I have to do some spec. comparisons. I just bought a sheet of HB -1/8"x2'x4' for hot wire templates. I have found Formica to be useful in place of thin plywood.
I was thinking of doing a similar size build of an old homebuilt called a Don Quixote. A very similar design planform to yours. Thanks for the proof of concept.
Thank you! The hardboard worked great, it is easier to work with than plywood if you are using hand tools.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2018, 04:46 PM
Wing tips are almost complete, the leading edges on the wings are painted and I just started work on the motor cover above the wing.
Jan 19, 2018, 11:24 PM
Some more progress today, getting close to the finish

- Finished the "intake" and wing attachment cover (I built a hinged access door with magnets on the opposite side of the hinge)
- Finished the horizontal stabilizer
- Finished the tail

What's left:

- Motor cowl/cover
- Cover the top of the wings at trailing edge where the motor/intake meets the wings
- Finish the wing tips
- Cover led's with clear plastic
- A bit more paint here and there
- Maiden!
Jan 20, 2018, 08:33 PM
I think I am done, I may do a little more painting and some decals. After that we are ready for maiden!
Jan 24, 2018, 08:19 AM
Awesome work! Wow, I need to build one! Any intention to make your plans available?

I'm guessing you used around 10 to 12 sheets of foam for this?

Newbie question: What did you use for the control surface joints? They almost look like molded plastic?
Jan 24, 2018, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipfactor
Awesome work! Wow, I need to build one! Any intention to make your plans available?

Newbie question: What did you use for the control surface joints? They almost look like molded plastic?
Thank you, I do not have any plans (I just designed it as I built it). I can provide more dimensions if you would like. I think I got away with about 4-5 sheets of Adam's brand foam board. The control surface horns are cut out from 0.5mm aluminum sheet.
Last edited by preelude; Jan 24, 2018 at 11:12 PM.
Jan 24, 2018, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipfactor

The control surface joints are made with bristol board.
May 12, 2018, 08:18 PM
I finally had an opportunity to fly, winds have been quite heavy in our area since last fall preventing me from flying. Tonight I took advantage of some calm winds and finally took this out for the maiden flight! It was already pretty dark, but she flew great! I will post a video later tonight, just waiting for a friend to send it my way.
May 12, 2018, 09:01 PM
Maiden Flight:

Homemade RC Plane | 72” RC Plane | Super Trainer | Maiden Flight (4 min 21 sec)
Last edited by preelude; May 16, 2018 at 02:37 PM.
May 12, 2018, 11:33 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Good job !
May 13, 2018, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Good job !
Thank you
May 16, 2018, 02:39 PM
Added higher resolution video!
May 16, 2018, 06:09 PM
gpw