Jan 16, 2018, 06:33 PM
Build Log

72" Wingspan Super Trainer | Maiden Flight Added!

Hi guys, after not touching anything RC related for 2 years I am now back at it! Here is a new plane that I am working on. Although it has the classic topwing & rear prop trainer layout, this will be used as a personal slowflyer to carry my Mobius action cam and a GoPro Hero 4 Session.

Project Focus:

- Slow flying
- Very stable and smooth
- Easily detachable wing for transport
- Rigid fuselage & tail design

Dimensions:

- Length: 45.5"
- Wingspan: 72"
- Cord @ fuselage: 7"
- Cord @ tip: 5.5"
- Wing area: 3.19 sq ft.
- Flying weight: ~ 1200 g (42.3 oz)
- Wing loading: 13.26 oz/sq ft.

Specs:

- Motor: EMAX CF2822 1200KV motor
- Prop: 9x4
- ESC: Turnigy Plush 25A
- Battery: Turnigy 5000mah 3S LiPo
- Receiver: OrangeRx R615X

Maiden Flight:

Homemade RC Plane | 72” RC Plane | Super Trainer | Maiden Flight (4 min 21 sec)
Last edited by preelude; May 16, 2018 at 02:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2018, 06:45 PM
Lighting Setup:

- Voltage regulator (constant 14.5V)
- 8x warm white 8mm straw hat LED's (100ma)
- 4x red 8mm straw hat LED's (100ma)
- 4x green 8mm straw hat LED's (100ma)
Jan 16, 2018, 07:02 PM
It looks really cool wish i could have one. That's a big battery what power system are you using to get it airborne. Hope the maiden goes well.
Jan 16, 2018, 07:02 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Looks good ! Flying video if possible !
Jan 16, 2018, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyBearFighter
It looks really cool wish i could have one. That's a big battery what power system are you using to get it airborne. Hope the maiden goes well.
Thank you, I am using a small 1200KV motor with a 9x4 prop. This combo will produce about 500-600 grams of thrust at full throttle. It should be able to cruise at around 50% throttle, I am hoping for 30 minute flight time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Looks good ! Flying video if possible !
Thank you, there is still a fair bit of work left before the maiden! But, there will definitely be some videos.

I hope the maiden will go well, I will be hand launching it. I am a little worried as I have never hand launched anything this size and weight.
Jan 16, 2018, 08:14 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by preelude
I hope the maiden will go well, I will be hand launching it. I am a little worried as I have never hand launched anything this size and weight.

I hand launch this 60" wingspan plane no problem :

FT Old Fogey-ish with 60" wingspan (1 min 56 sec)
Jan 16, 2018, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
I hand launch this 60" wingspan plane no problem :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGLj43y-VUM
Very cool, it flies sooooo slow! It looks very lightweight, what was the flying weight?
Jan 16, 2018, 08:28 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by preelude
Very cool, it flies sooooo slow! It looks very lightweight, what was the flying weight?
1073 grams flying weight , 60" wingspan with a 20" chord . I built it for the single purpose of flying slowly , so I built it as light as possible .... and it has to be flown gently .

The video in my previous post was of the maiden flight , here is another video of it flying higher up :

60" wingspan Old Fogey-ish flying up higher (4 min 52 sec)
Jan 16, 2018, 09:15 PM
Yea with that power setup you would probably have long endurance with that 5000mah battery. Hope it goes well, also please do maiden flight video.
Jan 16, 2018, 11:32 PM
Some progress on the cabin/cover, and a little paint. The battery cover is held in place with a tab that slips into the fuselage at the front and rare earth magnets at the top.

Tomorrow I plan to work on the nav lights and finish the wingtips. Maybe I can get the wings painted as well
Jan 17, 2018, 05:59 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic

A quick question

First off, love the design! Nothing like a big slow flyer

Excuse my ignorance but what are the electronics located at the midpoint of the wings for? Are they for the lights?
Jan 17, 2018, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky's Boy
First off, love the design! Nothing like a big slow flyer

Excuse my ignorance but what are the electronics located at the midpoint of the wings for? Are they for the lights?
Thank you

The electronics are for the LED's, basically a voltage regulator and pack's of resistors for the white, green, and red lights.
Jan 17, 2018, 01:48 PM
Very nice build.I had NOT considered subbing masonite/temp. hardboard for plywood. Now I have to do some spec. comparisons. I just bought a sheet of HB -1/8"x2'x4' for hot wire templates. I have found Formica to be useful in place of thin plywood.
I was thinking of doing a similar size build of an old homebuilt called a Don Quixote. A very similar design planform to yours. Thanks for the proof of concept.
Jan 18, 2018, 04:42 PM
Navigation LED's wired up:

Quick Reply