Aug 01, 2019, 08:23 PM

BUGS 5 W Flip

Good Day to you

I just received my Bugs 5W. Looks great.
I tested it when I got itand all seemed ok.
Lifts fine and land fine.
Then it just suddenly did a Back Flip and landed on its Head.
Thought that it might be from the battery that was not 100% charged.
Charged the battery and tried it agin today.
Did the same thing, Back Flip and land upside down.
Next try it did a Front flip and lie upside down.
Next Try a back flip again.

Each time I re calibrated everything.
Is there maybe something wrong?

Stay about 500m from a Cell Tower.
Wifi in the house.

Can it affect the drone that much?

First time for having a drone.

Please help

Videos on youtube it looks so easy.....
to remove ads between posts
Aug 02, 2019, 06:27 AM
Don’t do back flips.
Aug 02, 2019, 08:54 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Luciano
Don’t do back flips.
Craft seems to do that on its own as far as I understand. Not normal Bugs 5 behaviour
Aug 03, 2019, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servaas
Good Day to you

I just received my Bugs 5W. Looks great.
I tested it when I got itand all seemed ok.
Lifts fine and land fine.
Then it just suddenly did a Back Flip and landed on its Head.
Thought that it might be from the battery that was not 100% charged.
Charged the battery and tried it agin today.
Did the same thing, Back Flip and land upside down.
Next try it did a Front flip and lie upside down.
Next Try a back flip again.

Each time I re calibrated everything.
Is there maybe something wrong?

Stay about 500m from a Cell Tower.
Wifi in the house.

Can it affect the drone that much?

First time for having a drone.

Please help

Videos on youtube it looks so easy.....
Unit is defective and you should return it for a replacement.
Aug 03, 2019, 03:17 PM

Distance limitation

Anyone else notice 1) there seems to be distance limitations on the waypoints, and 2) there is a elevation and distance limit when not using waypoints. It drives me nuts! and 3) Does anyone notice the google maps on the app isn't working? It defaults me to this weird chinese map. Is there a way around this? And is there satellite view?
Aug 11, 2019, 02:22 PM
GatorsFly
MJX Bugs 5W - Camera FPV upgrade - Fitment (27 min 33 sec)

be away for a minute.. not sure if this popped up for folks

Be Well All
Sep 11, 2019, 10:16 AM
Thread OP
Jay Drone testing out off brand battery for the B5W, which seems to hold up pretty well:

MJX BUGS 5W Contixo F20 New Battery TEST Camera Quality & Flyability REVIEW (21 min 14 sec)

Not so sure on what he decided to do while already on first low voltage warning though
Sep 17, 2019, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRHS
I have had my Bugs 5 for about 3 weeks now and it has flown great with the exception of a couple of times and tonight was one of those times.
It did a flyaway on me. I lost control and had to hit the lock button to shut the motors down before it hit my home. Before that happened, I had been flying for around 8 minutes or so, and I decided to land it, basically doing a touch and go and took off again without shutting it down and I took it up to about 20 meters and was going to do a few laps around the yard and all of a sudden off it went on it's own.
I could not get control of it and like I said I had to hit the lock button and shut the motors down and of course it dropped like a rock.
It broke the mount on the bottom for the camera but the camera was alright and one of the little rubber damping balls was lost but other than that it's good.
I took the camera off and got another battery and flew it again and it flew great.
What in the heck would cause that ? That makes twice now. I make sure I follow the startup and calibration steps so I just am at a loss.
Could it be some type of interference ?
I would appreciate any help and was wondering if anybody else has had that issue ?
Ack. yes. mine flew away but straight up. No buttons worked to make it stop. Haven't tried it again. I fly is a tree-lined neighborhood and would hate for it to hang up where i can't get it.
Sep 19, 2019, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinh2otown
I bought a mjx bugs b5w have had about 5 successful flights with just picture taking now I am trying to do a video.
The issue I am having is that after a few seconds of good video recording it stops for many frames and then starts again this creates major pauses in the recording.
I have even tried it from just holding the copter in my hand and panning around a room and it does the same. This is from the SD card right to a computer for viewing .
Not even the app itself. Does it seem like the sd card problems or is it the camera itself. It takes pictures fine and starts recording fine but after about 10 seconds the pauses are right through the video until the end with many many frames missing.. Thank you Bob D.
I am just pouring through this thread getting caught up, so don't know if someone answered already. But the playback issue is your phone or computer. My new iphone XR does what you describe. Can't play it back smoothly. My old-a$$ Motorola phone does fine, so does my Amazon fire tablet. Same movie clip, different results.
Sep 19, 2019, 11:06 AM
Does anyone has a recco for the larger props mentioned?
Oct 14, 2019, 07:27 PM
Does anybody know what size 3 bladed prop would work on the bugs 5 ?
Oct 16, 2019, 02:29 AM
GatorsFly

Bugs 3/2 triprop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRHS
Does anybody know what size 3 bladed prop would work on the bugs 5 ?
these work

DalProp TJ6045

Be Well All
Nov 09, 2019, 05:33 PM

B5W modded 6,5” bi-blade prop [anticipation]

Just to anticipate that I'm finally working on an article about B5W props modification.

The idea was born because of the phenomenon discussed here: The Prop Wash Phenomenon and The Prop Wash Phenomenon [addition].

I’ve tested as a pretty high efficiency prop a wide profile bi-blade, diameter 6,5”, pitch 3.16” and a blade surface of 14,18 cm3. The original prop is a low profile bi-blade, diameter 6.0”, pitch 2,36” and a blade surface of 11,42 cm3.

The mod prop produces an overall static trust at the same rpm of even +50% mainly due to the increased diameter and sensible wider profile.
Obviously the power consummation per rpm is increased but fully compensated, and surpassed, by the increased performance so the mod prop has an higher engine coupling efficiency.

The power consummation is:
- equivalent while flying in hovering all the time (but the prop wash phenomenon is finally solved and this was my main intention);
- lower while mid to speed cruising (+10% of autonomy, so +1 minute of flying before receiving the first low voltage alert 3,80v/cell).

Name: DSC02697.jpg
Views: 26
Size: 835.7 KB
Description: B5W with modded 6,5 inch bi-blade prop

I didn’t project any new prop, I’ve just modified a bigger prop so I had no way to chose some aspects, like the pitch.

Another difficulty was the impossibility to mod the PIDs. So I had to reduce the prop diameter from the initial 6,9” to 6,5” in order to obtain a better flight controller response to the new prop. Reducing diameter means increasing pitch because the pitch go higher closer to the hub. A relatively high pitch is the why hovering is not more efficient than the original props, but also not even less fortunately … On the other hand the speed cruising has a +10% efficiency. The B5W produces less noise also but, as already mention, the prop wash is finally solved and it means I don’t risk to faultlessly loose my drone anymore.

More info next time…
Last edited by SeaFargo; Mar 05, 2020 at 03:47 PM.
Nov 09, 2019, 11:22 PM
GatorsFly

Bugs flyaway and erratic launchs

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_paco
Ack. yes. mine flew away but straight up. No buttons worked to make it stop. Haven't tried it again. I fly is a tree-lined neighborhood and would hate for it to hang up where i can't get it.
guys.. I fought those pesky fly aways and wild erratic launches that went immediately out of control for ever on my first Bugs.. a B2C.. I crashed it hard more then once..

after splitting the shells it was fine again for a few flights then problems again..

I found pinched wires with broken insulation from motor wires one time.. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...entid=11174000

I never did get it reliable and then it would not calibrate or arm motors..

I put it in the repair and I'll fix or customize one of these days pile.. I ordered a new board and stashed it for rainy day.

I decided to try a Chris Riley (YouTube guys) plan and make it into a FPV x-frame custom.. I ordered 3 different sets of replacement shells prior to that and every one of them arrived tweeked and unusable..

I just received a zm250 carbon frame like Chris used ($15) about the same money as factory shells and far more sturdy. Chris said it was few grams lighter then stock body.. He hard mounted the board and broke the board on first flight.. however he said it flew great.. I will Cushion my build..

So as soon as I can get to that project.. I will post if the new board was the fix for the flyaway /wild launch issues.. also.. i just peeked back on Chris's channel and noticed he replaced his compass and had better luck..

should be fun little project.. I have a little AIO camera kit in stock now also.. with some antenna mods for both tx and rx it has potential..
Nov 11, 2019, 09:32 PM
I thought the Bugs had no Bugs. People were raving about it. First I heard that they were this bad. Almost bought one BITD.

Quick Reply