Jan 15, 2018, 07:45 PM
in pursuit of low wing loading
Thread OP
Discussion

StickCoupe

I went to our local indoor session Friday, and as I drove home kept thinking that I need a nice slow cruise around plane. I have often had one. An early one was my Stechmucke, my first actuator plane when the RFFS-100 came out. I've had various Bombshells, the latest was a full fuselage version with DD 7mm and a Vapor brick. But, it needs work to get back in the air. I decided I didn't want anything fancy, just lots of wing area, and rudder/elevator. In other words, kind of like a Vapor. Except the look of Vapors (of which I have many) are kind of boring, but also almost indestructible. And, the air is generally thick with Vapors at an indoor. By the time I got home I had a rough design in my head, and so started drawing it up on the computer.

Here is what I came up with, a stick version of a Monocoupe, one of my favorite golden age planes. So, it will be "StickCoupe". I'll be tweaking the design as i progress. Control will be a MiniVapor brick. Propulsion will be a BSD 7mm gearbox. I want it to have more thrust than a typical Vapor, and it should be able to loop on demand, or just cruise around. The plan is for it to get a steerable tail wheel. Wing Span is 18.5 inches.

The other main goal was something that would take a lot less time than my last plane, the Super STOL. This should be a comparatively quick and simple build compared to the Super STOL. The graphics are the only thing that is tedious.
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Jan 15, 2018 at 08:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2018, 07:52 PM
Thread OP
First the wing. It is my usual laser cut skeletonize foam, with 1/64 ply ribs glued into slots in the ribs, and a balsa leading edge glued on, sanded round, and RA Microlite covering wrapped around the leading edge.
Jan 15, 2018, 07:53 PM
Thread OP
Next it will be on to the tail. This is the tiny Monocoupe logo cut out of RA Microlite Film.
Jan 16, 2018, 08:28 AM
That looks great Gordon, and Iíll bet it will be a sweet flier. Will it have aleron control or be r/e ?

Fritz

p.s. the motor mount broke free from my skeletonized DR1 in a scouting meeting I had last week as I was looking for a new local indoor venue- it has been a great slow flying demonstration airframe for a while now and will be back in the air again soon. Thanks so much for sharing the plans and inspiring builds here!
Jan 16, 2018, 11:45 AM
Thread OP
Fritz,

Keeping it simple, just a MiniVapor brick, and rudder/elevator. The ailerons are just drawn on.

Glad your Dr-1 is still flying. I'm still flying my blue and white version.
Jan 16, 2018, 12:21 PM
Aedificem ergo sum
Gordon - are you lasering the microlite for the logo?
Jan 16, 2018, 01:02 PM
Thread OP
Mike, of course.

In the picture the lasered out logos are sitting on a white shelf, ready to adhere to white Microlite covering.

The larger and smaller NC numbers are first adhered to tissue paper with 3M77, and then lasered. The Monocoupe logo is adhered to regular printer paper to give it a stiffer backing, and then lasered.

One issue I'm having is both my colors of red Microlite are old, never opened till now, and the color is flaking off. This happens when it gets old. Homefly is out of stock of red, and has been for months. So, I have to use red that is flaking off. My white is flaking too, but I have some more of that on the way. I just didn't want to wait on making progress till that arrives.

I drew up as a vector graphic the Monocoupe logo (which took a fair bit of time) years ago when I did a couple of printed tissue profile Monocoupes. I just grabbed my drawing of the logo from back then and used it again, but lasering out covering this time instead of printing it along with other graphics on tissue. I haven't yet glued one of these lasered logos onto white Microlite. That may get interesting.
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Jan 16, 2018 at 01:14 PM.
Jan 16, 2018, 10:24 PM
Aedificem ergo sum
Nice...I'll have to try that. Not sure how well the blue diode laser will do on Microlite, but it'll be fun to try. I've had mixed results with waterslide decal paper - there's a particular white one from the UK (World-Paper) that has worked really well on doped tissue and Microlite/Solite, but the clear stuff from Royal Paper hasn't worked so well. I've tried lasering the decal paper too, but I had to up the power to the point that it would char too much to be usable.

BTW- Mountain Models has red Solite in stock (same thing as Microlite). And I guess I'm lucky - I've been using some old white and black Solite circa 2002 and haven't had any issues with it. No flaking so far on my Fokker D-VII from Zeke's
Jan 16, 2018, 11:09 PM
Thread OP
Solite is not the same thing as RA Microlite. Microlite is made by Carl Risteen (RA is Risteen Associates) in Canada. He sprays a mixture of adhesive and pigment on the back side of a Mylar film. It also shrinks much less than Solite.

Solite is a more traditional film like a light weight Monocote type covering and is made in the UK.

Microlite weighs 10g per square meter and Solite weighs 23g per square meter. Solite is the lightest conventional covering, but is still more than twice as heavy as Microlite.

That said, I may get some Solite (I need to check that I donít already have some) and try it sometime. Still, it will weigh more.
Jan 17, 2018, 03:34 AM
Balsa, depron addict.
Hi,

You have made a good job . Do you will share a scale drawing because I want to build this pretty plane.

Stef
Last edited by Stefh; Jan 17, 2018 at 03:23 PM.
Jan 17, 2018, 08:01 AM
Thread OP
Stef,
Yes, no problem. I'll post a PDF of the plans when it's done. I'm drawing it up as I go.

Gordon
Jan 17, 2018, 09:13 AM
http://www.homefly.com/products.asp?id=31 This is the only place selling RA Microlite that I have found. Coverite has a Microlite covering , but it is rebranded Solite, not the same a RA Microlite
Jan 17, 2018, 10:18 AM
Aedificem ergo sum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Johnson
Solite is not the same thing as RA Microlite...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpercy
....Coverite has a Microlite covering , but it is rebranded Solite, not the same a RA Microlite...
Aaah...somehow over the last 15 years I missed that little detail. I knew the latter but not the former!
Jan 17, 2018, 10:46 AM
Thread OP
My source for RA Microlite has always been Dave Lewis at Homefly.

Sky Hooks & Rigging in Canada carried RA Microlite too. But, I'm not sure if SH&R is still an active business. Their supply seems to be limited to some colors, maybe just those they still have in stock.
http://www.skyhooks.ca/covers.htm#RM

However, when I checked a couple of days ago SH&R doesn't list red.
Jan 17, 2018, 03:27 PM
Balsa, depron addict.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefh
Hi,

You have made a good job . Do you will share a scale drawing because I want to build this pretty plane.

Stef
Thanks a lot.

Stef

Quick Reply