Jan 18, 2018, 03:55 PM
www.scotiarc.co.uk - OMP Helis
As promised; battery installation video. It's not very exciting i'm afraid!
XLPower 520 battery installation (0 min 36 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2018, 07:35 PM
Definitely looks convenient, but are you just relying on friction from the strap to prevent the battery sliding fore and aft?
Jan 18, 2018, 08:26 PM
Cá bhfuil Micheál?
What's that white pad I see on the top face of the pack? Velcro or some other friction increasing material to keep it in place?
Jan 18, 2018, 10:38 PM
Could be - makes me want to see the removal video now!
Jan 19, 2018, 12:55 AM
No Velcro on the pack. The white 'pad' is just a label that the battery came with.

To prevent the pack moving I use rubber grip pad material that you see advertised to hold stuff like mobile phones on your car's dashboard. I just stick a couple of strips of that on the bottom plate of the frame and once you strap the battery down it's held firm. Removal is as simple as unfastening the strap and sliding out the battery
Jan 19, 2018, 02:27 AM
Cá bhfuil Micheál?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
No Velcro on the pack. The white 'pad' is just a label that the battery came with.

To prevent the pack moving I use rubber grip pad material that you see advertised to hold stuff like mobile phones on your car's dashboard. I just stick a couple of strips of that on the bottom plate of the frame and once you strap the battery down it's held firm. Removal is as simple as unfastening the strap and sliding out the battery
I've heard of that stuff. Do you have a link to the material you use? I personally still use Velcro, ie protos with the o rings, to prevent any migration.
Jan 19, 2018, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spykez
I've heard of that stuff. Do you have a link to the material you use? I personally still use Velcro, ie protos with the o rings, to prevent any migration.
There are a few options but Hobbyking sell material for just this purpose that comes self adhesive: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/self-adh...10-x-75mm.html
Jan 19, 2018, 11:49 AM
I can't believe this is even a discussion.
The mounting as shown by JPF is as easy as it gets.
I'm a C6 Quadriplegic and have no problems with this method, in fact prefer it as stated to avoid switching trays between Heli's to share same packs.
I have flown Logo since 2009 and still it's my fav battery mounting method. Anything with a Tray either has to have dedicated packs or peel off tray when switching heli's.

To keep my battery from sliding I use a 1" square of velcro at the front of the tray. After loosening (but not removing) the straps just lift up slightly on pack and slide out.

My XL520 will be here next week and I am looking forward to the build, I hear it's fit and finish is top tier and it looks to fly great.
My only hang up is parts availability but I don't anticipate shipping to be any slower than from US for me here in Canada.
Jan 19, 2018, 04:02 PM
Cá bhfuil Micheál?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpygolden
I can't believe this is even a discussion.
The mounting as shown by JPF is as easy as it gets.
I'm a C6 Quadriplegic and have no problems with this method, in fact prefer it as stated to avoid switching trays between Heli's to share same packs.
I have flown Logo since 2009 and still it's my fav battery mounting method. Anything with a Tray either has to have dedicated packs or peel off tray when switching heli's.

To keep my battery from sliding I use a 1" square of velcro at the front of the tray. After loosening (but not removing) the straps just lift up slightly on pack and slide out.

My XL520 will be here next week and I am looking forward to the build, I hear it's fit and finish is top tier and it looks to fly great.
My only hang up is parts availability but I don't anticipate shipping to be any slower than from US for me here in Canada.
Lol, you came to visit us! Welcome & thank you, we're almost as bad as "testing"

stick around, we're consistently the same small bunch of 4r$€h07€$ who just get up to mischief here . Join the mike thread if it's too cold to fly. Here in AU it's the exact opposite, 42 C!
Jan 19, 2018, 04:05 PM
Cá bhfuil Micheál?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
There are a few options but Hobbyking sell material for just this purpose that comes self adhesive: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/self-adh...10-x-75mm.html
Will give that a go. The Velcro picks up a lot of debris, plus you have to buy one for each side, male and female. I think I would trust that with the Protos and o-rings (they grip) but not too sure about the smaller Blades (Velcro straps). Thanks.
Jan 19, 2018, 05:52 PM
as much as I can
JPF's video does make it look easy on the XL520. My KDS uses 2 straps and there is no where to retain the strap. You have to feed them through each time.

Also don't forget, with no velcro and only one strap you are totally dependant on the strap. I've never had one break, but just something to think about. A loose battery could hit the pinion or seriously throw out your COG.
Jan 19, 2018, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying
JPF's video does make it look easy on the XL520. My KDS uses 2 straps and there is no where to retain the strap. You have to feed them through each time.

Also don't forget, with no velcro and only one strap you are totally dependant on the strap. I've never had one break, but just something to think about. A loose battery could hit the pinion or seriously throw out your COG.
I would absolutely recommend using 2 straps, more secure and redundant.
As for your KDS, like my Logo's just loosen and reattach the strap (left loose) then slide out your pack and new one in.
New pack's in, slide loosely closed straps over pack, cinch em down and go rip.
It can't get any simpler.
Jan 19, 2018, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Lol, you came to visit us! Welcome & thank you, we're almost as bad as "testing"

stick around, we're consistently the same small bunch of 4r$€h07€$ who just get up to mischief here . Join the mike thread if it's too cold to fly. Here in AU it's the exact opposite, 42 C!
It's me.
Seems like some shenanigans going on, good stuff.
What is this mike thread you mention? Cause ya, it's too cold.

edit: found it, I'll check it out.
Jan 20, 2018, 02:54 AM
Cá bhfuil Micheál?
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying

I bought the battery fence for my x5. And lots of velcro.

I R anal.

This nearly happened to me on a Blade.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...re#post3389855

The design of your heli will determine how bad it can get!
Jan 20, 2018, 05:39 AM
as much as I can
Quote:
I bought the battery fence for my x5. And lots of velcro.

I R anal.

This nearly happened to me on a Blade.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...re#post3389855

The design of your heli will determine how bad it can get!
That's nasty! Poor guy.

Yeah, the X5 battery fence was a must have for me as well.

Quick Reply