XLPower 520 XL520 6CH FBL RC Helicopter Kit - RC Groups

XLPower 520 XL520 6CH FBL RC Helicopter Kit

The XLPower 520 Heli seems to have some nice features and equipment for the price. It comes with a High Precision Head, 10mm steel main shaft, 8mm spindle shaft, and CNC metal reinforcement plate for the main frame.

Splash

A Lot of Heli for under $500

The XLPower 520 Heli seems to have some nice features and equipment for the price. It comes with a High Precision Head, 10mm steel main shaft, 8mm spindle shaft, and CNC metal reinforcement plate for the main frame. That should allow it to be solid and remain rigid under the stresses of aggressive 3D flying. The kit includes all the hardware needed and a 4020 1100kv brushless motor along with 480mm main blades and 76mm tail blades.

Check out the XLPower 520 Helicopter Kit at Banggood

Features:

• HPS (High Precision Head System), New head with 2-piece blade grip
  • 10mm high strength steel main shaft
  • 8mm high strength steel spindle shaft
  • M5 YFS high strength spindle shaft screw
  • Rotor blades compatible with 430mm 470mm 480mm 500mm 515mm 520mm size blades
  • CNC metal reinforcement plate for main frame
  • Supports medium-sizes servos
  • Unit weighs 1800g without battery
  • Durable and lightweight canopy
  • Landing skid is tilted 2.5 degree forward

Specifications:

• Brand: XLPower
  • Model: XL520
  • Length:981mm
  • Height:311mm
  • Main rotor diameter: 1120mm
  • Main blade length: 480mm
  • Tail rotor diameter: 200mm
  • Tail blade length: 76 mm
  • Weight: 1800g

Jan 15, 2018, 01:11 PM
I'd be all over this brand, but they need stateside support.

Shipping time/availability for parts is something I seriously consider in a heli.
Jan 15, 2018, 04:37 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
All parts are available but currently from China. Last time I got parts direct from XLPower they came in five days to the UK, time before that it was three days but admittedly express shipping was quite expensive. I know here in the UK XLPower has got a dealer in place and the dealer is just awaiting stock. I cant imagine it being long before the US has a dealer.

I'm hoping the UK dealer gets the new canopies in because I like the new style a lot better than the original 'Mikado lookalike' canopy.

PS.. the new XLPower Spectre 700 looks awesome!
Jan 15, 2018, 04:54 PM
Cá bhfuil Mike agus Vik?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
All parts are available but currently from China. Last time I got parts direct from XLPower they came in five days to the UK, time before that it was three days but admittedly express shipping was quite expensive. I know here in the UK XLPower has got a dealer in place and the dealer is just awaiting stock. I cant imagine it being long before the US has a dealer.

I'm hoping the UK dealer gets the new canopies in because I like the new style a lot better than the original 'Mikado lookalike' canopy.

PS.. the new XLPower Spectre 700 looks awesome!
That looks pretty cool. Who deals with that brand in the EU? Is it cheaper than an x5?

Have an x5 am wondering if I should strip its electronics, sell it off and buy a new 500 on return home.
Jan 15, 2018, 04:58 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
In the UK the dealer is Heli-Shop : https://www.hely-shop.co.uk/

It should work out cheaper than a new X5, bear in mind that the XLPower comes with motor and blades. It's by some margin the lightest of the current 'true 500' size helis. Mine was 1830g RTF (without battery). Most 500s are in the 2100-2250 range, and more in some cases. Even if you dont want a super light heli it gives you the ability to put in a big battery and still have a reasonable weight.
Jan 15, 2018, 05:01 PM
Cá bhfuil Mike agus Vik?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
In the UK the dealer is Heli-Shop : https://www.hely-shop.co.uk/

It should work out cheaper than a new X5, bear in mind that the XLPower comes with motor and blades.
Cool. I might just disassemble the x5 and pack it away, can't bear to part with it. If I total it I know there's another similar sized option. Not sure I want a goblin, see, and until msh come up with something in that size, that looks like a pretty good option.

You have one, right? Are you very happy with it?
Jan 15, 2018, 05:24 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
I really like mine a LOT. It's one of thaose helis that doesnt really look anything special but when you get up close the quality is first class, it's simple, effective and it flies fantastic. I genuinely feel more confident with the XLPower than any of my other helis. Part of that might be due to the Spirit Pro FBL (which is fantastic) but part must be due to the airframe too.

People might think i'm on a kickback from XLPower (I'm not) when i say that this is the only heli that goes in the car on every outing.
Jan 15, 2018, 05:27 PM
I love its simplicity. No bs. Just pure heli.
Parts cost is very reasonable.
Assembly and repair look simple with tons of room. Nice layout.
Hope to see a distribution/sales network in the US.
Until then....
Jan 15, 2018, 08:37 PM
as much as I can
Yes, it would be a good alternative to an X5 or a cheaper option for a re-kit (cyclic servos are different though). Just a bit worried about how long parts will stay available, so agree with Thickfog, waiting to see where it goes.

I'd also like to see a kit with all or the upgrades and 520mm blades.
Jan 15, 2018, 08:46 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It does look like a nice heli
Last edited by Dave778; Jan 15, 2018 at 09:29 PM.
Jan 15, 2018, 09:59 PM
Damped tail rotors are something everyone should be doing now not just SAB and a few others.
Jan 16, 2018, 12:25 AM
Cá bhfuil Mike agus Vik?
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying
Yes, it would be a good alternative to an X5 or a cheaper option for a re-kit (cyclic servos are different though). Just a bit worried about how long parts will stay available, so agree with Thickfog, waiting to see where it goes.

Oh, I didn't see that. It doesn't use standard servos.

Mini servos then? Ie the ones we'd put on an old "500"/ 420mm heli then? What about the tail?

Cheers.
Jan 16, 2018, 12:54 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying
As I understand it the latest kit comes with all the upgrades and 520mm blades. I know it says 480mm blades in the description here but i think that nay be out of date. If in any doubt contact XLPower on their Facebook page and they will confirm the exact spec. If you order from XLP they will customise the kit to your needs anyway.

Cyclics are mini which has proved fine even when pro flyers smack the snot out of he heli in it's 570mm stretched form. Tail takes either a mini or a standard servo, i used a mini because I see no sensible reason that a 500 should need the same tail servo size as a 700/800 heli.
Jan 16, 2018, 06:00 AM
★★★★★★★★
battery tray is a must
Jan 16, 2018, 07:23 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse
battery tray is a must
The battery just straps to the bottom plate of the frame. Although some might think this 'crude' it works very well. Most of my helis have tray mounted batteries on one type or another and to be honest i like this simple approach better. A tray system would only increase weight and reduce space for the battery for no real benefit. For 12S setups that have two batteries connected together i can see the argument for a tray, but for the single pack i just don't see the point.

One thing i wish XLPower would incorporate into the frame is provision for a second battery strap positioned roughly where the pinion is. For larger batteries you need a second strap to hold down the rear of the pack. You can fit one easily enough by wrapping the strap around the bottom of the frame so it's no big deal, but a couple of slots in the frame for a strap would keep things a bit neater.

Quick Reply