Thread Tools
Jan 23, 2018, 04:24 PM
USAF Academy Retired
curtusua's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ehab
Looking great Curt. Nice spinner too. Where did you get it?
I am also tempted to go Electric, so much easier of an install but flight times suffer. I like to do many touch and goes and long flights, 15 min or more.
What do you think your flight times will be?
Thanks, Sam... appreciate the kind words.

I ordered the prop hub directly from Tru Turn... pricey but excellent quality.

I really like the convenience of electric flight and I used to fly glow and gas... love it all! The fuse is so big that I could easily combine two 12S packs in parallel and get 15 minute flights. Of course, I already have the batteries and theyíre expensive. With my planned 12S and with this modelís light wing loading I should get 8 minutes or so of flight time. I have actually grown into the shorter flight times over the years with electric flight and find I enjoy it just as much as with longer fuel-based model flights. I guess I just like electric because it is so interesting!

Looks like April now for a model, eh? Itíll be here before you know it but I would pre-order one soon as I think this is going to be a very popular model.

Curt
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 24, 2018, 01:53 PM
USAF Academy Retired
curtusua's Avatar
Thread OP

Cowl Mounting


Getting the cowl ready to mount.

Did some detailing on the dummy radial last night. I have a little more space than I would like between the back of the prop and the cowl, but it set at 170mm as per the manual. I prefer to have the cowl mounted a little farther aft, so I’m going to reduce the spacing by 10mm. I also plan to move the dummy radial back into the cowl a little so it is more realistic.

Funny, the dummy radial is a 9 cylinder engine but the cowl is molded for a 7 cylinder engine as there are 14 blisters on the cowl instead of 18.
Last edited by curtusua; Jan 24, 2018 at 03:53 PM.
Jan 25, 2018, 04:11 PM
Registered User
What MAHs are your batts for 8 min flights? and what C rating?
I have a couple of 8000 mah 6S but at 15-20C rating.
Hobbyking has a couple of motors in the 50-60CC that may do the trick if I decide to go with flowing electrons option....LOL...
Jan 25, 2018, 05:31 PM
USAF Academy Retired
curtusua's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ehab
What MAHs are your batts for 8 min flights? and what C rating?
I have a couple of 8000 mah 6S but at 15-20C rating.
Hobbyking has a couple of motors in the 50-60CC that may do the trick if I decide to go with flowing electrons option....LOL...
Sam...

I have 5000ís, 6000ís and 8000ís in my inventory and Iím pretty sure the 6000ís will probably get met 7 to 8 minutes of normal flying. You donít need high discharge batteries in this application so 20c batteries will be fine. Of course, higher volts means less amp draw, so using a higher C battery would have an advantage in terms of flight times.

If you do decide to go electric, make sure your motor can deliver the minimum watts output recommended and can handle the current. I usually shoot for at least 120 watts per pound and 150 is not unreasonable.

Did you get a model ordered before they ran out?

Hereís a couple pics of my completed cowl installation. I went to the extra effort of drilling the mounting blocks and inserting 4-40 threaded inserts instead of using the supplied sheet metal screws.
Jan 25, 2018, 05:48 PM
deanz406
deanz406's Avatar
Hi Curt- I just wanted to chime in, and am following ur build of this gorgeous plane. It's great that ur finally adding a "Two Winger" to ur stable , and I'm looking forward to getting photos of the maiden and many flights this spring. As u know, I love bipes, and will follow ur complete build of this one. Many Thanks for sending us the writeup and pics for the newsletter, and posting here, for us all to see the final result-- Dean
Jan 25, 2018, 05:55 PM
USAF Academy Retired
curtusua's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanz406
Hi Curt- I just wanted to chime in, and am following ur build of this gorgeous plane. It's great that ur finally adding a "Two Winger" to ur stable , and I'm looking forward to getting photos of the maiden and many flights this spring. As u know, I love bipes, and will follow ur complete build of this one. Many Thanks for sending us the writeup and pics for the newsletter, and posting here, for us all to see the final result-- Dean
Thanks, Dean! Iíll probaby bring her to the next meeting if I get finished...

Curt
Jan 25, 2018, 07:43 PM
Registered User
Hi Curt, I missed the Waco, it is OK, this will give me time to decide gas or Electric. You are making think Electric thu.
The dummy engine looks nice the way you detailed it.
Do you think it will balance with no extra weight?
Jan 25, 2018, 07:53 PM
USAF Academy Retired
curtusua's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ehab
Hi Curt, I missed the Waco, it is OK, this will give me time to decide gas or Electric. You are making think Electric thu.
The dummy engine looks nice the way you detailed it.
Do you think it will balance with no extra weight?
Iím sure it will balance... I can always add more batteries if I need nose weight!
Jan 25, 2018, 08:03 PM
USAF Academy Retired
curtusua's Avatar
Thread OP

Interior Electronics


Getting down to the interior now... replaced the foam battery “anti-sliding “ piece with more appropriate material. Added it to the receiver/battery tray as well and installed Velcro straps. Soldered up an extension for the ESC using 8mm bullet connectors and tidied up the motor compartment. Also made a tray for the ESC to mount to... I can easily take it off if needed.

I have a “no spark” arming switch on order from MPI/MAXX Products that I will install outside along the fuselage so I can close up the big hatch after turning on the receiver power switch and arm the motor just before I’m ready to fly.
Last edited by curtusua; Jan 25, 2018 at 08:10 PM.
Jan 25, 2018, 08:46 PM
Registered User
Looking great and clean install. I was thinking of getting the CC Talon HV with built in BEC if I chose Electric. Do you recommend a separate Rx power?
Plenty of room for 2x8000MAHs I think, cool!
Jan 26, 2018, 07:30 AM
USAF Academy Retired
curtusua's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ehab
Looking great and clean install. I was thinking of getting the CC Talon HV with built in BEC if I chose Electric. Do you recommend a separate Rx power?
Plenty of room for 2x8000MAHs I think, cool!
I have lots of confidence in Castle Creations ESC’s, having used them for many years without any issues. Since there are only 5 servos in the model, I wouldn’t have any problem trusting the ESC’s BEC. In a model with this much room and light wing loading adding a battery pack in a separate power circuit is an easy decision though.
Jan 26, 2018, 02:49 PM
Registered User
I saw a video on youtube of a 1/4 scale Waco flown with 12S, 5800 MAHs and it looked great and flew well. So I am now leaning towards electric. Simpler in many ways apart from the sound and not having smoke which I like to have on all my jets and gas powered planes.

The struts should have been air foiled, I'll see if I can add that to mine.

Keep up the good work...
Jan 26, 2018, 05:13 PM
USAF Academy Retired
curtusua's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ehab
I saw a video on youtube of a 1/4 scale Waco flown with 12S, 5800 MAHs and it looked great and flew well. So I am now leaning towards electric. Simpler in many ways apart from the sound and not having smoke which I like to have on all my jets and gas powered planes.

The struts should have been air foiled, I'll see if I can add that to mine.

Keep up the good work...
Thanks Sam... Iím applying some of the graphics tonight. I think youíll enjoy an electric powered big bird... and if you donít, you can always convert it over to gas!

😉😉
Jan 26, 2018, 05:39 PM
USAF Academy Retired
curtusua's Avatar
Thread OP

Getting Callie Graphics Applied


The cowl blister graphics took a good bit of the afternoon but went on with no issues. Iím getting the fuselage graphics aligned and installed tonight.
Jan 26, 2018, 06:00 PM
Registered User
Are the LG fairings glass or plastic? do you think they may need some re-enforcement? Some other Phoenix models LG fairings are very very fragile (Stuka)


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Phoenix Models 50-61cc Waco 1:4 Scale Bipe Dan mach Giant Scale Airplanes 48 May 13, 2019 06:40 AM
Discussion The return on the Pilot 1 1/4 scale Waco YKS-6 Hiflyer Giant Electric Planes 1 Nov 08, 2016 07:23 AM
Discussion 1/4 SCALE Edge 540 phoenix Models 68" - setting CG lyvewire Giant Scale Airplanes 0 Aug 29, 2016 02:39 PM
Build Log Pilot-1 1/4 Scale Waco YKS-6 jwjohnson Giant Electric Planes 36 May 23, 2010 11:16 PM
Discussion Pilot-1 1/4 scale Waco jwjohnson Vendor Talk 9 Mar 18, 2010 11:24 PM