Jan 14, 2018, 05:31 PM
USAF Academy Retired
Thread OP
Build Log

Phoenix Models 1/4 Scale Waco Build

Hello all...

I just received and began construction on this big bird from Phoenix Models. I plan to power it with an Eflite Power 360, 12 Lipo cells and a Castle Creations 120 HV ESC. The model has a 90” wingspan and completely assembled, should weigh between 25 and 30 lbs.

The model came out of the box with all parts very well wrapped but many of the metal struts and other parts had broken loose from their fastenings and were all over the place. Luckily, there wasn’t any damage to any of the airframe parts due to the great wrapping effort at the factory.

I began construction on the wings as usual, and added four LED landing lights in the wings. The addition of the lights was simple enough as the wings are fairly open on the inside. The hardware included with the kit is overall very, very good and the prefabrication is on par or better than many of the ARF models I have assembled.

I'll post more photos and info as I move along with construction but I’m in no hurry as flying season is a long way off and I need something to keep me busy!

Curt
Last edited by curtusua; Feb 08, 2018 at 10:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2018, 05:35 PM
USAF Academy Retired
Thread OP
The fuselage and beautiful fiberglass cowl... I temporarily taped the tail feathers on to see what it was going to look like....
Jan 15, 2018, 05:39 PM
USAF Academy Retired
Thread OP

Langing Gear Struggle

It took me a long time to get the main gear all assembled as the strut fairings are plastic and very fragile and prone to chipping. I used curved scissors to open up each part and then carefully used sanding tools to get them to their final shape. Gluing all of these parts together was very tedious and I wish I could have done a better job but they look good. The fiberglass wheel pants are very nice!
Jan 17, 2018, 04:25 PM
USAF Academy Retired
Thread OP
Alignment check and glueing horizontal stab. Tail feathers next. My kit was short two control horns needed for the elevator halves. I called Tower and spoke to a tech... new ones are on the way.
Jan 17, 2018, 08:28 PM
USAF Academy Retired
Thread OP
Tail feathers on. I added black pin striping to add some accent to the red trim. Wings completed...
Last edited by curtusua; Jan 18, 2018 at 06:28 AM.
Jan 19, 2018, 08:18 AM
USAF Academy Retired
Thread OP
Got the upper wing installed for a look-see and began preparation for mounting the motor. I am going with 1/4 20 hardware for mounting the big Eflite motor instead of the supplied 5mm parts. Getting the rudder servo and pull-pull installed later today.
Jan 20, 2018, 04:32 PM
Excellent timing. I am just about to order one. Have not decided on power yet but most likely a twin gasser. I plan to make the wheel pants/fairing removable/bolt on. Also the stab will be bolt on and will use pin type hinges to enable removal. I will be watching your progress....Great pix/work you did so far, keep it up and good luck...thx for posting!

Cheers!
Jan 20, 2018, 04:55 PM
USAF Academy Retired
Thread OP
Thanks Sam... it is a well constructed model and a real pleasure to build! Iím sure you will enjoy yours!

Curt
Jan 21, 2018, 05:33 PM
Well, I woke up today ready to order the big Waco, and it is out of stock....
Now I'll have to wait and see if it will ever be back in stock with the recent news about Tower....
Curt, Can I buy yours?? LOL...
Jan 22, 2018, 01:14 PM
USAF Academy Retired
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ehab
Well, I woke up today ready to order the big Waco, and it is out of stock....
Now I'll have to wait and see if it will ever be back in stock with the recent news about Tower....
Curt, Can I buy yours?? LOL...
Iím sure Hobbico will survive and youíll have a new ARF by this spring!
Jan 22, 2018, 06:02 PM
STRANGE.....Now it is back in stock today.....Hmm....
Jan 22, 2018, 08:09 PM
USAF Academy Retired
Thread OP

Motor Installation

Finally getting to the front end... installed the Eflite 360 and positioned the ESC.
Jan 22, 2018, 08:11 PM
USAF Academy Retired
Thread OP
Cowl mounting ring and cowl temporarily in place. I have lots of detailing to do on the dummy radial. Xoar 24 X 8 prop and Tru Turn prop hub in place for a test fit.
Jan 22, 2018, 08:14 PM
USAF Academy Retired
Thread OP
Inside the massive fuselage and rudder/elevator servos. Just installed receiver switch in the space allocated for a throttle servo.
Jan 23, 2018, 01:29 PM
Looking great Curt. Nice spinner too. Where did you get it?
I am also tempted to go Electric, so much easier of an install but flight times suffer. I like to do many touch and goes and long flights, 15 min or more.
What do you think your flight times will be?

Quick Reply