Mar 08, 2018, 10:55 AM
Thread OP
talking with my plan , advice and steam mentor guy (he does full sized steam boats and engines) have decided to make a 2ft change in the project,, now it will be a 30ft navy steam cutter, scale will not change making it a 60inch hull.. the engine will be a little more size correct.. plus the 30 will give a little more room around the engine and in the tiller area.. the prop shaft/rudder shoe wax will not change but the 2 fittings above will need to be redone, most likely will do better the second time.. hoping to get a set of waxes to the casting person this week.. my three running ships of my 1/96th predred fleet all carried a 30ftr also.. now I get to decide which ship this cutter will be from, Raleigh, Brooklyn or Minneapolis.. this is the third change in the long planning , last year when all was still just paper a 1/8th scale 36ftr was being planned.. it would have required a total scratch built engine (glad I changed and went with modifing the Stuart kit)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 08, 2018, 03:06 PM
Grumpa Tom
The pre-dred is a really beautiful warship!
Mar 09, 2018, 01:21 PM
Thread OP
30ftr rudder mounts and tiller waxes completed..
Mar 11, 2018, 04:21 PM
Thread OP
phase one waxes,, cleaned up the molded ones, did a little more work on the others .. should be ready to go to the foundry..
Mar 16, 2018, 03:30 PM
Thread OP
met with the person who will be doing the casting of the parts,, after a brief talk it was decided that parts that could be made up or machined from stock would not be cast (keeping the cost down a bit) so the rudder hardware and the cylinder tops were pulled out.. the large complex rudder shoe will be cast though.. more or less this reduces the number of large investment vessels by at least 2.. ordered up some metal stock to work on the parts.. will start gathering the wood needed for the hull,, planning on to best it can be done using the prototype correct wood,, White oak : keel,frames, bow and stern post.. White pine, crossbeams, flooring and decking. Northern white cedar : planking.. Ash : seats, turned stanchions, trim and gratings.. Cherry.. seats, trim , caps and rails.. for all the varnished wood the trick will be finding pieces with fine enough grain to look correct in scale..
Mar 21, 2018, 11:49 AM
Thread OP
package of metal stock from "speedy metals" arrived today.. started some work on the turning for the upper rudder mount/lifting sling bracket.. looking at ordering up this , hoping it will help with the hard soldering assemblies.. https://www.riogrande.com/product/kn...rip-set/110795 will be getting some bronze and brass solder from them anyways..
Mar 21, 2018, 09:22 PM
Grumpa Tom
Those Ti strips look quite intriguing. Are they easy to bend?
Mar 22, 2018, 05:47 AM
Thread OP
I've ordered a set and will post results..
Mar 23, 2018, 05:34 PM
Thread OP
annealed most of my larger pieces of brass this morning.. found that with a metal cutting blade in my scroll saw the 1/8 thick stock cut fairly well,, got a few parts shaped to solder together.. not as fast as making them in wax!!!
Mar 26, 2018, 05:15 AM
Thread OP
I've been watching a a nos ST compound kit on ebay, it ended up selling for around 500.00 with shipping!!! more than I paid for a new kit!!! plus if I find a bad part (internal casting fail or crack) ST will send a new part no charge.. feeling better about getting the new kit.. plus the new crank casting has the lathe fixtures cast in..
Mar 26, 2018, 12:06 PM
Grumpa Tom
eBay bidding fever gets to people.
Mar 26, 2018, 12:17 PM
Thread OP
the clips seem to work very well.. a pair of needle-nose pliers to bend them to shape, they are only slightly springy but hold things in place (don't expect them to pull together bad joints) they will glow bright red while soldering but seen to stay in place.. all in all they will give better results and speed up complex soldering operations.. I also tried some 20ga brass colored wire hard solder,, much more control than the big stick solder that I have been using (I'll save that for the boiler works)
Mar 26, 2018, 03:57 PM
Grumpa Tom
Thanks for the report on the new soldering tool. Sounds very useful.
Mar 27, 2018, 01:45 PM
Thread OP
6 pieces and three soldering sessions ,, the Ti clips helped greatly.. two sad things about this part, one it will mostly be hidden and secondly it was made from iron on the real boat.. after it was all clean and brassy gave it a soak in "blacken it" treatment.. haven't decided if it might go back to polished brass..
Mar 27, 2018, 01:52 PM
Grumpa Tom
The swabbies need something to do. Let them polish the brass!

Quick Reply