Nov 23, 2020, 03:59 PM
Thread OP
with just a few things left to do on the engine (oiler lines, way quadrant,) started planning out the boiler feed pump,, the navy used a worthington duplex unit with the pump being more sailor proofed.. A set plans for the coles power models pump was the starting point but it was out of scale,, reduced the plans down by a 3rd and they still looked still functional.. enlarged the reduced plans 2x and a some line drawings of the navy pump were sized to match,, worked out the combining of the two plans and might have a workable set,, reduced the plans 50% to get the final size.. the degree of watchmaking will be involved but it might work,, slim is looking perplexed..
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2020, 08:29 AM
Thread OP
stock and parts for the pump on order,, a few days out of the shop so I gave slim his instructions for the time. He must have heard "do something with your lazy brass for the next 4 days" happy thanksgiving..
Dec 12, 2020, 01:00 PM
Thread OP
after some mail delays my brass arrived and started work on the steam pump,, blocks for the cylinders and pump ends were loctited together with some spacers,, machined for the center-base section,, bores for each end completed so there should be good alignment,, a little heat separated the parts,, slim is giving the "this will never work look"
Dec 15, 2020, 02:37 AM
Good luck, I heard steam pumps are temperamental beasts.
Dec 15, 2020, 08:01 AM
Thread OP
the navy pump end where the suction is on the bottom and outflow is topside makes this hopefully a little more doable.. the worthington models combine all this making for some very tight workings.. the pump end is more or less 2 double acting pumps set side by side.. 8 spring and ball valves,, (have an assortment of balls to work with, SS, nitrile and poly) plan is to build it as close to scale as possible so it looks good.. if it doesn't work I'll hide another feed pump in the model..
Dec 15, 2020, 10:38 AM
Thread OP
milled up the pieces that will form the center section that joins the ends,, need to turn a set of alignment rods to keep things true during the soldering,, also both ends need work before this can happen,, slim looks a little less pessimistic now..
Dec 15, 2020, 04:56 PM
Thread OP
milled and drilled the valve seats and water passages in the pump block,, worried that slim is now planning a crap game glad I didn't make two of them
Dec 17, 2020, 05:52 PM
Thread OP
found some interesting valve porting in a 1900 steam pump book.. started milling and shaping the parts,, sent some on the atlas lathe and turned some steel jig rods..
Dec 20, 2020, 12:02 PM
Thread OP
found some neat info,, talking with the full scale steam experts that have been a great help on this project..the small pumps did use the double porting. the duplex valve system on my pump is referred to as external crossover because an internal crossover type also exist.. as the internal size of my steamchest will be around 3/4" square I will be staying with the external crossover along with the Cole's method for the valve sliders.. this will be a bit of watchmaking but I don't want it to be swiss watchmaking.. did order up a some micro set-screws and other micro screws/bolt/nuts
Dec 23, 2020, 04:29 PM
Thread OP
made an arbor to hold the cylinder block,, started milling the hard corners off,, both ends are looking a little more the part.. I think Slim is happy we are not doing all those little levers..
Dec 29, 2020, 02:54 PM
Thread OP
worked on the steam chest, top and bottom plates were recessed, valve rod fittings were threaded, drilled and turned.. chest was drilled and reamed for them,, when I get a few other parts made everything will get silver soldered..
Dec 29, 2020, 03:06 PM
BEAUTIFUL . no other words.
Jan 01, 2021, 01:33 PM
Thread OP
worked on the parts once soldered together will be the rear cylinder heads plate.. with the help of the mutant ship cat, unboxed and assembled a new shop toy..should help greatly in some upcoming work on this and other projects..
Jan 03, 2021, 04:42 PM
Is that a bending device for sheet metal?
Jan 03, 2021, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by -kno3-
Is that a bending device for sheet metal?
i say yeas. the mrs has the noodle version.

Quick Reply