Jan 26, 2018, 03:02 PM
Thread OP
turned a set of bore gauges on the unimat, one for the 1.25 and one for the .75 bores.. after about an hour of centering on the craftsman/atlas 618 went after the low pressure bore,, it needs a bit more honing but it came out well..
to remove ads between posts
Jan 26, 2018, 06:16 PM
Grumpa Tom
This is like Home Shop Machinist.
Jan 30, 2018, 06:12 PM
Thread OP
doesn't look to much changed, but the high pressure bore has been cut, both cylinders have been honed, the top and bottom have been finished to near final size and the valve ends have also been milled down to length.. I should have weighed the block at the start and finish,, removed lots of iron one thin pass at a time.. time to start on the crank and other parts back on the unimat,, just very happy that I didn't screw up this expensive hunk of metal...
Feb 02, 2018, 04:10 PM
Thread OP
waiting on a MT1 live center for the lathes tailstock so I can attempt to turn the crankshaft (also ordered up the taps,dies and reamer needed, tracy tools) worked on the pattern for the navy type base, after some more shaping and finishing a mold will be made in silicon and then a wax version for a lost wax casting in brass/bronze..
Feb 02, 2018, 08:54 PM
Grumpa Tom
Making your own molds? Wow!
Feb 07, 2018, 10:00 AM
Thread OP
aluminum plate, JB weld, lots of swearing.. but I think I have a set of masters for the navy engine support frames.. the mold to make them in wax will have to be three pieces.. have left "extra" material so the all can be leveled once the crosshead guides are aligned in all three planes.. have come up with a jig block method to hold them while soldering in the braces and leveling the tops and bottoms.. a few more masters that shouldn't require swearing and time to start getting things into wax..
Feb 09, 2018, 11:29 AM
Thread OP
presents arrived today,, "Tracy Tools" good price , reasonable shipping and 7 days.. not to bad.. the little unimat live center came from another source , Ive been looking for one for a while and this one popped up at a very decent price..
Last edited by tghsmith; Feb 09, 2018 at 12:20 PM.
Feb 09, 2018, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tghsmith
presents arrived today,, "Tracy Tools" good price , reasonable shipping and 7 days.. not to bad.. the little unimat live center came from another source , Ive been looking for one for a while and this one popped up at a very decent price..
tg,

Glad to hear that all went well and I see that you have wisely bought the H.S.S.taps, in the U.K. their delivery is usually next day if ordered before 12 noon.
So 7 days to the U.S. aint so bad.

George.
Feb 16, 2018, 02:53 PM
Thread OP
between 2 dental visits and getting the killer airbags replaced in my truck.. not much free time this week,, but did get some more work done on masters for castings,, new connecting rod and crosshead, valve chest covers, 1/8" deeper valve chest and guide for valve shaft and way shaft.. still have to do the cylinder covers..
Feb 20, 2018, 04:36 PM
Thread OP
master for the thrust box is about ready,, turned some wax for cylinder tops that will look more scale than the S.T.'s also had to order up some stock metal, added some 1/2" thick brass bar to maybe mill up the valve chest instead of having them cast..
Mar 01, 2018, 04:45 PM
Thread OP
been working on getting the masters into molds, ran short of the the molding medium so started working on the one off wax parts that need to be cast for the hull.. started out with the biggest one first (unless I decide to cast the prop)
Mar 02, 2018, 04:33 PM
Thread OP
a little more wax
Mar 05, 2018, 04:23 PM
Thread OP
hot wax day... using my 12.00 dollar wax injection system started casting the parts in wax.. they will need some clean-up, touch-up and repair before going to get cast in brass and bronze. but wax is fast and forgiving.. have one more "one off" part to get ready also..
Mar 05, 2018, 07:59 PM
Grumpa Tom
Mar 06, 2018, 09:20 AM
Thread OP
filled some of the molds before leaving last afternoon, demolding this morning went much better and the engine base came out great(ie one piece ) will do some more casting at 4 hour periods.. the great part about wax is all the failures go back into the pot and get another chance.. getting close on the one off parts, have a few small ones left..

Quick Reply