Oct 13, 2020, 02:32 PM
Thread OP
my first attempt at a soldered crank was a bust as the solder, old flux and steel did not want to get along well,, new parts are being made, new flux ordered,, well this is what I found when the box with the flux arrived.. of course it had to be the black.. new jar on the way.. damn smile faced boxes..
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2020, 08:20 AM
Really nice work, two thumbs up.
Oct 23, 2020, 03:08 PM
Thread OP
after a couple of soldered crank attemps I have one that should work,, not being totally happy made another attempt at a loctite crack,, after a little fine tuning on a reamer the webs have a very nice fit on the shaft (I'm getting very good at making crank webs) a firm fit dry but moves smoothly with a little oil.. cleaned everything and put the crank together,, slim has been given the job of watching the loctite fully cure over the weekend..
Oct 23, 2020, 03:22 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
I am sure the third time is a charm-if not consider making the crank from stainless-it silver brazes very nicely (I never tried to silver solder iron/regular steel before)
Oct 27, 2020, 03:09 PM
Thread OP
started to fit the new loctite crank today,, it was drilled and pinned, the frame bearings were given some light work, the webs were ground to shape while quenching often in cold water so nothing even got warm.. still have to cut away the two shaft sections but the crank fits with nil play and will spin with a flick of the fingers.. slim is taking credit for the improvements..
Oct 28, 2020, 06:44 PM
Thread OP
some careful sawing, time on the belt grinder and it looks like crankshaft,, I'm pretty much where I was two weeks ago,, put the engine back together, time the valves and start testing..
Nov 02, 2020, 04:41 PM
Thread OP
engine together, valves timed, running much smoother and will run much slower,, it's not even screwed to the wood base,, over the next few days I'll give it oil and 10 to 15 minutes break in runs..slim must have got the valves set better this time!!!
Nov 03, 2020, 12:36 PM
Thread OP
a little slow run test,,
navy steam engine model slow running (0 min 20 sec)
Nov 05, 2020, 04:04 AM
Runs beautifully!
Nov 05, 2020, 05:55 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Excellent!
Nov 05, 2020, 10:25 AM
Thread OP
thank you all, it has been a long journey, happy to report that it is breaking in nicely and was ticking over nicely at less than 20 psi this morning.. not overly happy with the gasket material I used, an assortment is on it's way from mcmaster carr..
Nov 07, 2020, 01:56 PM
very well done. i've been enjoying slims journey.
Nov 11, 2020, 06:21 PM
Thread OP
new gasket material arrived, decided that I needed some better wrenches for all the 7BA nuts and bolts,, did a little drlling, filing and grinding and made some.. Slim is already trying to claim them..
Nov 12, 2020, 08:46 AM
Beautiful work. Slim certainly seems to have an eye(s) for detail!
Nov 14, 2020, 05:09 PM
Thread OP
fitted the thrust box to it's mounts giving it the full US navy look,, it's non-functional for for and aft loads (not really needed for a model) but may provide some support as an eccentric for the condensate pump will be mounted on the shaft just outboard.. slim is taking to the tools well, glad he doesn't have pockets otherwise he'd be taking the tools..

Quick Reply