Dec 12, 2019, 08:33 AM
Thread OP
my little semi homemade tapping stand worked great,, the block was taped, the covers and frame holes were reamed and it all fits,, still have to adjust the frame castings on the HP end a bit,, and then remove the extra for both sets to match the blocks profile,,
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2019, 11:19 AM
Hi TG
All is now clear, I didn't realise that there was enough landing space at the back of the uprights where you are going to bolt thro'.
I wrongly assumed that you would bolt to the lugs at the front, hence I asked if you were to make an entablature plate to catch the fixings,
George.
Dec 13, 2019, 07:35 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
This is one of my favorite build logs! Beautiful workmanship...one request-please include something that shows the scale-its tough to determine the actual size...the rifling file, scribe, and the hammer are in the background but the camera makes the work look big-toss a couple of coins next to the subject..we can better appreciate the jewel that is sitting in the foreground-thanks...BG
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Dec 13, 2019 at 07:42 AM.
Dec 13, 2019, 08:45 AM
Thread OP
was cleaning up so a few more pics,, also what might be the boats whistle arrived from china,, its scales a tad big but should work.. it does look great.. sounds like the cheap china shipping may be ending, getting a few things ...
Dec 13, 2019, 03:01 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Awesome! thanks..
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Dec 20, 2019, 08:36 AM
Thread OP
my castings for the valve rod/way bar were proving very difficult, wasted several hours trying to get them workable,, decided to make them from stock,, they will actually look and work more like the prototype as the way bar will be removable by the unbolting the caps,, once again my cheapy tapping fixture worked great again( that was well worth the time) way bar holes still need to be drilled and mounting feet need to be soldered on..
Dec 20, 2019, 05:59 PM
Thread OP
worked on the parts a bit more,,
Dec 22, 2019, 08:04 AM
Thread OP
thanks to antiques roadshow I had to research a detail about a flag for the boat,, the search was easy and found a great deal of info (for once)
http://www.vexman.net/smalboat.htm
Jan 02, 2020, 04:29 PM
Thread OP
played with my Xmas to rotary table,, the valve rod guides should provide support so the rods do not need to go through the steam chest tops,, the HP chest has the steam line entering through the top,, a robust flange mounts the pipe there as the regulator will be just above,, seeing the flang will hide things decided to drill the rod guide hole in the top and mill steam entry ports,, the table seems to work well..
Jan 03, 2020, 02:27 PM
Thread OP
test fitting of valve guides, steam chest,way shaft,, now time for lots of drilling and tapping (lots)
Jan 10, 2020, 10:36 AM
Thread OP
some slow progress,, but things are starting to look better,, doing any of this without the tapping fixture would be crazy..
Jan 10, 2020, 04:27 PM
Recreational Engineer
Looks like an engine!
Jan 11, 2020, 11:27 AM
Thread OP
the last big holes milled in the block,, only about 22 small ones to go,, edit ,, add 4 holes more for the cylinder cocks, plus another tap needed..
Last edited by tghsmith; Jan 12, 2020 at 07:59 AM.
Jan 14, 2020, 08:53 AM
Thread OP
took some time to make a fixture for centering the rotary table with chuck,, bore in the chucks center tested good for rotation.. turned a shaft to fit pistonlike in the bore,, center drilled the shaft 3/16ths ,, line up the chuck under a 3/16th shaft in the mill,, rechecked at 90 degrees all the way around,, zero the DRO's should save lots of set-up time
Jan 14, 2020, 03:33 PM
Thread OP
works great, tested it making these flanges, drilled , rotary milled, cut off and trimmed the backside on the lathe..

Quick Reply