Jul 25, 2019, 02:41 PM
Thread OP
thanks to some contractors, my materials for the ward type water tube boiler took a big jump today.. hopefully friday I'll be working on engine parts again..
to remove ads between posts
Jul 25, 2019, 09:14 PM
Grumpa Tom
Very nice looking workshop!
Aug 05, 2019, 11:38 AM
Thread OP
a little more copper today,, the needed fitting was ordered,, the copper sheet I have was not thick enough so some was ordered,, time to start turning some formers,.. saw a machinist post about using 3/4" loc-line hose as a positionable hose for a vacuum at the bit on a small mill,, 16.00 dollar experiment to see if it works..
Last edited by tghsmith; Aug 05, 2019 at 02:51 PM.
Aug 09, 2019, 01:20 PM
Thread OP
some final things are being done in my shop-space (ductwork insulation),, everything should be completed today!!! did get the loc-line kit and fitted to my milling machine (if this works I'll fit one to my unimat lathe) the "deluxe" bench top milling machine hand wheels are on sale so I ordered up a pair,, the have a much better feel that the stock handles..
Aug 14, 2019, 05:11 AM
Thread OP
some copper plate for the boiler build arrived,, yesterday the shop ductwork insulation was completed and painted,, machines are back in their place and shouldn't have to moved again,, looks like I get to start working with the solid stuff again instead of just paper, drawings and reading!!!!
Aug 15, 2019, 02:51 PM
Thread OP
did some final moving in things today and did get about 30min of mill time on the steam engine parts,,
Aug 16, 2019, 12:58 PM
Thread OP
played with the mill today and machined the slide sections of the crosshead castings, one has been lapped to it's frame and seems to have a very precise fit.. they will get reduced and smoothed once the holes for the piston shaft and connecting rod gets drilled,,, very glad I installed the DRO's on the mill, they made this operation much easier...
Aug 16, 2019, 01:21 PM
Recreational Engineer
Wonderful - everything is SO clean!
Aug 23, 2019, 07:15 AM
Thread OP
did a little more work on the slides, as work has started on smaller parts needed to get the 2" vise mounts made,, the chip collection system seems to work well while milling,, the long strands while drilling not so much..
Aug 28, 2019, 01:48 PM
Thread OP
been playing with the mill and lathe,, trying to figure out if the navy type con-rod bottom end will scale down to 1/6th,, the top of the rod will have to moved lower to adjust for total length,, (cut, turn,cut,bore,solder) the question was the bottom once sized would it have enough brass for the wedge slot and still be strong enough,, thinking that it will work,, I have some bronze on hand to make the bushings so now to make a matched pair.. also have the advantage of loc-tite to make sure all stays in place..
Last edited by tghsmith; Sep 01, 2019 at 09:06 AM.
Sep 01, 2019, 09:42 AM
Thread OP
did a little more design work on the con-rods, reduced the width of the bottom end more to match the prototype.. ordered up some bronze, brass and loc-tight 603.. started up on the crankshaft build and milled the stock for crankshaft webs,, planning on a built up crank, lock-tite and pinned..
Sep 02, 2019, 01:37 PM
Thread OP
and of course speedy metals has a site-wide sale 3 days after I place an order!!! may have figured out a way to keep the navy type con-rod bottoms lubed,, using the inside of the shafts ,, if it works it will get oil directly to the bearing-shaft joint..
Sep 03, 2019, 12:48 PM
Thread OP
stacked the milled blanks for the crank webs and loctited them together,, zeroed the stack in the mill and drilled and reamed..
Sep 04, 2019, 05:23 PM
Thread OP
con-rod shafts drilled and sized, made up some width gauges to space the webs correctly,, they are loctited in position,, I'll make up a 1/2" gauge to get the spacing correct when things get set at 90 degrees,,
Sep 05, 2019, 07:04 AM
Thread OP
gauge made,, webs loctited, it will all sit for a few days..

Quick Reply