Sep 16, 2019, 12:50 PM
Senior to who? Member
Adam,
It was an honor to be able to let RC icons like you to fly it, and if I had any brains I would have made the "cost" of flying be to sign the wing. But the memory is priceless and if everyone had signed it I would have been afraid to fly it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJWoods
Thanks as well for the opportunity to try it out!

-Adam
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 03:25 PM
in pursuit of low wing loading
Steve,
Thanks for letting me fly your plane. It flew very nice. Hopefully between yours and some of the Mini CF planes etc others who were there will take the plunge into this type of plane, at whatever size.

Gordon
Sep 17, 2019, 03:53 PM
Senior to who? Member
Gordon,
That was my hope and THANK YOU for letting me try the Carbon Bender, I have to admit it performed better than I expected and I had high expectations.
While it did not quite fly as slowly as the Expedition I do think is was as every bit as slow as my Supertrino so its obvious the age of mini F3P being a viable alternative is finally here.
And the minis are far more practical, many times faster to build than a full size CF F3P, throw in the extra cool factor of the true nano components and its a winner in every way. BRAVO!
If Nick can make an affordable drive, it may even be significantly less expensive to build so again WOW!
Sep 19, 2019, 10:25 AM
Senior to who? Member

Photos

Link to photos by SawnCraft. Pro quality photos from NEAT, several pics of my Expedition which make it look SO good, I truly see it as nearly ugly when sitting still and up close, but the photos make it look amazing to me. Scroll to near bottom of page for Expedition pics but I recommend you taker you time getting there

https://www.sawncraft.photography/2019-NEAT-Fair/
Sep 19, 2019, 07:25 PM
Flying>Life
Thread OP
Glad to see it's still flying after all it's been through! Happy to see you and others are still enjoying the design too! Hoping to pick mine up over Thanksgiving while at my parents so I can start getting into the indoor groove again
Sep 19, 2019, 10:35 PM
Senior to who? Member
Hope the academic life is going well, miss you flying with us.

Before the WC you mentioned some mods including something you did not want to share at the time. Now maybe? Also, any plans for Mk2 or 3 ? And lastly, did adding the aileron counterbalances affect how axial it rolls? I'm ready to build a new one and of course dont want to build it only to find you've improved the design after I build
Sep 21, 2019, 06:02 PM
Flying>Life
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossup
Hope the academic life is going well, miss you flying with us.

Before the WC you mentioned some mods including something you did not want to share at the time. Now maybe? Also, any plans for Mk2 or 3 ? And lastly, did adding the aileron counterbalances affect how axial it rolls? I'm ready to build a new one and of course dont want to build it only to find you've improved the design after I build
Counter balances did help a touch on the upline rolls and in a smaller facility. At the moment, there's no plans to make a v2 in the immediate future since there is a new sequence that needs a whole indoor season of flying before development starts. How ever, I would recommend making your new plane with removable wings and stabs since those will have the greatest chance of changing by the end of indoor season if any are made
Sep 21, 2019, 08:38 PM
Senior to who? Member
Any ideas on how to do removable stabs? IRC Pat did that on one of his planes but its CF.
Sep 23, 2019, 10:24 PM
Flying>Life
Thread OP
Quote:
Any ideas on how to do removable stabs? IRC Pat did that on one of his planes but its CF.
I am currently using removable stabs (the control surface itself) on my WC model. It's a pretty simple concept of the traditional heatshrink carbon method, how ever the carbon is just a single piece going from one end to the other on the surface. In order to do it on the Expedition, you have to do a removable rudder as well (same concept) in order to get the stab out. If you go to page 12, there is a photo or two of how it's done. Once I get my plane, I can post more detailed photos if needed.
Sep 23, 2019, 10:47 PM
Senior to who? Member
Thanks, part of my problem thinking how was I was thinking of the horizontal stab not just the elevator. That means the bracing stays on the stab which simplifies things a bunch. But I'd still be interested in how you did it. Got my wood ordered today and have plenty of the other materials. Once I figure a better way to mask, I expect this one will be much nicer than Patchwork Patty
Sep 24, 2019, 11:07 PM
Flying>Life
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks, part of my problem thinking how was I was thinking of the horizontal stab not just the elevator. That means the bracing stays on the stab which simplifies things a bunch. But I'd still be interested in how you did it. Got my wood ordered today and have plenty of the other materials. Once I figure a better way to mask, I expect this one will be much nicer than Patchwork Patty
Patchwork Patty has a special place in my heart! Im sure this next build will be much easier and look nicer since you've now got the experience of building one and having it for physical reference. Can't wait to see the build log on this thread and see the plane once it is completed!
Sep 25, 2019, 07:40 AM
Senior to who? Member
Thanks for the kind words, while the next build holds much promise in the appearance department, fact is even being all beat up, Patty is still the truest flying indoor plane I've ever built. It flew beautifully at NEAT with zero trim and even with the bottom rudder hinge off and the battery dangling in the breeze it flew on rails.

I also had my Supertrino there and it required so much trim I stopped trying to fly it.
I wish I could understand why two planes with relatively minor differences could act so differently.

Speak of builds, I want to add a post with another link to your dads build thread, when I first saw it it seem rather cursory but I see now its very complete and detailed, so a good resource for anyone building one.
Sep 25, 2019, 08:07 AM
Senior to who? Member
Repost of Don Szczurs Expedition build thread on RCU

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/team...ion-build.html

In particular, I would like to call attention to Don's use of carbon fiber in several key areas in lieu of balsa.

Quick Reply