Apr 19, 2019, 02:15 AM
Flying>Life
Thread OP
]The smaller plans exist because it one of the facilities I had to practice inside of was very small, the smaller plane might present faster, but it also gets around a smaller hall much easier. Marc, I am flying the exact same plans that were posted the second time (bigger plans). It does present much better than the smaller version because it looks much slower and precise compared to the smaller version (which is made for small facilities). As for doing a larger build, I personally think it is the way to go, as they used to say, bigger is better. It should work just fine on 1s if you're able to keep the weight below 57g rtf on a motor that makes at lease over 100g in thrust.[/QUOTE]
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2019, 07:53 AM
Thanks Joseph,
I didn't realize that the larger plans have a 6"ruler at the bottom. That measurement when I had the plans printed out , measured over 8"!!!!
Is it supposed to be that big? I thought only 10% bigger/
Marc
Apr 22, 2019, 03:09 PM
Joseph,
Haven't seen you on line. Really need a measurment to see if my plans are correct. The wing cord size would be great!
Marc
Apr 22, 2019, 04:40 PM
Hey, Marc;

I did the conversion from Joe's original drawings to the CAD pdf files. My Expedition SP profile is a direct clone of Joe's larger design; here's a photo from my part cut files with a root chord measurement, I have 278mm at root including the aileron. Let me know if you need any other measurements for confirmation.

Scott Brownewell

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcwv
Joseph,
Haven't seen you on line. Really need a measurment to see if my plans are correct. The wing cord size would be great!
Marc
Apr 22, 2019, 05:22 PM
Thanks so much this will let me know if i am building the correct size plane!
Marc
Apr 22, 2019, 09:11 PM

please check the download .pdf on page 10

unfortunately my wing cord is about 398mm on my plans.
looks like my plans are 40% bigger ,
That mean the fuse I just built I can trash!
Either office depot made an error or the file is wrong
Very frustrating!
Marc
Apr 26, 2019, 11:13 AM
Senior to who? Member
I confirm 278mm. Any chance that only the wing plan is scaled wrong? My fuselage measures ~32.5 inches, rudder post to nose tip
Apr 26, 2019, 11:35 AM
Senior to who? Member

Ermolin Expedition

Heres a pic of my last mod to my Expedition. I really thought there was no way it would fit given how large the driven wheels are but it turned out my guess over a year ago as to what size would allow me to use a variety of motors was spot on. I only needed (2) 1mm shims for a perfect it.
Ruslan Ermolin high reduction 17.7" drive, just over 10 grams w/props. My rft weight is 44-45g depending on which battery I run. Tons of power so throttle is limited to 85%. Pic on the scale is with Ruslans 15" prop set, the 17.7" setup is 10.8grams.
The white areas are where I've mounted batteries in the past with my heavier DIY drive, now it balances with the battery about at the forward wing root.

With the Ermolin, it would be easy to build an Expedition at or below 40gram as mine is carrying several grams of extra glue from many, many repairs and is now almost exclusively 1/16" square wood., heavy paint, wheels and spats. Also ran seperate wires for each tail servo, I now use a common + and (-) when the servos are fairly close.
Apr 26, 2019, 11:42 AM
Crossup are you using the doenload on page 10?
Apr 26, 2019, 05:26 PM
Senior to who? Member
No Marc, Joseph drew or traced a copy and handed them to me. I then had them scanned at an office supply store and printed a copy to verify the size was correct. Those plans are in post #29 here. Every dimension mentioned match those plans so they are correct. Obviously you dont want to build 40% oversized but there is no need to obsess with scale...as long as you're within 5% or so it will fly just fine. If you are doing CF, you probably should do some mods anyway to accommodate the different material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcwv
Crossup are you using the doenload on page 10?
May 01, 2019, 07:06 AM
6 inches on the scale at the bottom of the plans should be 6 inches plus or minus a tenth of an inch. When I printed out my set of plans at Kinkos, they had to make sure their settings were correct on the printer to confirm the print size was right. I printed out plans for both the smaller and larger set of plans and both have the 6 inch scale at the bottom as 6 inches.

Hope this helps,
Don
Sep 15, 2019, 07:03 PM
Senior to who? Member
My Expedition (aka Patchwork Patty, now 2 seasons old)made it to the Downsville Gym at NEAT this year. I got in several flights on Friday and asked Devin McGrath and Dave Lockhart who were at NEAT, to demo it if they could make to the gym.

Alas they could not so Pete Foss did the honors(he's a MUCH better pilot than I am) and wowed the assembled pilots and spectators.

Once the demo flights were done, Patty then got passed around so several people got to sample F3P. That included 3 who had mini F3P ships with them, all with coax drives including Joe Malinchak, Gordon Johnson, Nich Leichy and several more who had not flown anything remotely similar including Ross Clements.

Unfortunately before everyone got to fly her, something malfunctioned and she crashed with more damage than could be repaired there. Patty has suffered much damage at my hands in the last two years and I think its time to lay her to rest but she gave her best right to the end and now there are several more people who know just how magical F3P and the Expedition in particular is.
Last edited by crossup; Sep 16, 2019 at 07:11 AM.
Sep 15, 2019, 09:25 PM
Thanks for letting me fly Patty! It was really fun to flt something at that size and weight. Might just inspire me to building a 1S F3P airplane either in balsa or molded carbon.

Pete
Sep 16, 2019, 07:14 AM
Senior to who? Member
The pleasure was all mine Pete, literally only took 5 seconds of you flying Gordon Johnsons mini F3P to see you were the man to demo Patty. Great job!
Sep 16, 2019, 12:06 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thanks as well for the opportunity to try it out!

-Adam
Latest blog entry: Star Wars A-Wing Submarine

Quick Reply