Mar 05, 2019, 02:59 PM
Joe,

You are really lucky to have a Dad like yours! Take care of him.

Good luck at Worlds!

Vince
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2019, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the inspiration and all the great info in this thread! I'm building a profile balsa biplane to fly around in my complex.
Mar 19, 2019, 10:31 PM
I can't believe its been that long but after 8 years I've figured out how to log back in to RC groups. This is a great forum! I've got some pictures on how to modify the Expedition to have removable wings and removable rudder. I made these mods to Joseph's team selection airplane which is what AC Glenn is flying now in Crete.
Mar 19, 2019, 10:35 PM
Looks like they both made it into the finals. That makes me very happy and all the hard work paid off for both Joseph and AC. Go Team USA! Great design Joseph!
Mar 22, 2019, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Szczur
I can't believe its been that long but after 8 years I've figured out how to log back in to RC groups. This is a great forum! I've got some pictures on how to modify the Expedition to have removable wings and removable rudder. I made these mods to Joseph's team selection airplane which is what AC Glenn is flying now in Crete.
At the last world champs I thought the guys were lacking in airplane technology. But, this design is an equalizer. Both it and the guys are flying great!. Too bad the flyers can't fly anonymously. I wonder how the scores would fair if the judges didn't know who was on the sticks.
Mar 22, 2019, 01:45 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpercy
I wonder how the scores would fair if the judges didn't know who was on the sticks.
Gernot would still win. If you had seen him fly in person ( either this week or any previous W/C) you would know this to be true.
IMO the judges get it right more often than not.
(Joseph flew very well placing 4th, and having two of his models in the finals is an excellent result)
Mar 27, 2019, 05:10 PM
Flying>Life
Thread OP
Hey all,
Just got back from Greece 2 days ago (still waiting for my luggage to arrive lol) and finally have some time to give a quick WC summery. First of all, big thank you to the organizers, the event went extremely smooth even with the whole island losing power during the last round of the finals. I am extremely happy with my result, especially given that I had no where close to the amount of practice I wanted. This year there were 5 Expeditions flown, 4 of which were balsa and 2 of them making it into the finals (myself and AC Glenn). Overall, I was very happy with the performance of the airplanes and my equipment, must say I am happy I stuck with 15" props since the facility was huge and a majority of pilots flying the bigger props where very close on time. There was a lot of interest in my the balsa planes as well as my design while there too. Here's some photos from the WC and a link to my final flight of F .

FB video link: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=255846522033708

Final thing, super proud of Team USA! This is our first team podium for F3P , hopefully the level of interest and flying will go up in F3P in the USA because of it
Mar 27, 2019, 10:09 PM
Senior to who? Member
Welcome back and congratulations on a great result. Its really great to see the USA so well represented by a strong team.
Mar 31, 2019, 02:14 AM
ME at Cal Poly
Congrats Joe! So proud to see the USA doing so well in F3P on the world stage, keep up the good work!

Free
Apr 15, 2019, 04:14 PM
Flying>Life
Thread OP
Balsa wins ETOC 2019! Super happy that ETOC has finally made a comeback after 6 long years, amazing to see how much has really changed since the last one. Also very happy with my result (1st overall, 1st in "F3P" portion, and 1st in freestyle). Indoor season has now technically come to an end for me, but I've got some fun stuff ready for next year already getting underway
Apr 15, 2019, 05:39 PM
Senior to who? Member
Joseph, you mentioned you had some "secret" mods you might reveal after the WC. Anything you can share now?
Apr 15, 2019, 08:43 PM
Flying>Life
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossup
Joseph, you mentioned you had some "secret" mods you might reveal after the WC. Anything you can share now?
Didn't do the mods on this WC plane that I was ended up wanting to do (except for a rudder frame reinforcement technique, basically make it stiff as possible giving it 10x more rudder authority) , but I will say that one of the original mods I was wanting to do how ever was taking off the rudder counter balance, still going back and forth if I want to do that on this next one. However, there are 2 more minor mods that I will be doing on this next one that you'll have to wait until team trials for I'll make sure to give some hints between now and then.
Apr 18, 2019, 03:12 PM
Joseph.
The plans in this thread that were in increased in size 10%.
I thought you would be flying that version.
You said it would present better!
What is the status of this larger size?
I started my build in carbon as my first F3p build!
Do you still think the larger airframe is a good idea? And also still use a 1 cell setup?
Regards

Marc
Apr 18, 2019, 09:23 PM
Senior to who? Member
I know the answers to Marc questions but wonder why the smaller plans exist. I thought they were a mistake(in changing from original hand drawn to cad/pdf)in scaling.
I also would like to know what Joseph thinks about going up 10% more- to a full meter wingspan.

With the Ermolin drive I installed in the Expedition it was clear the power is excessive to the point I'm restricting full throttle- 85% seems about right. I'm also going to test with 15" props hoping to drop current draw to let me get 6 minutes on my tired old 120 cells. Flying with the power of the Ermolin at 44 grams with a 160mah cell was a real eye opener compared to my Supertrino at 55 grams and the same battery. I like it so much more, the Supertrino is probably going to be a hanger queen.

With all that power and removable wings, I'm liking the idea of dropping wing loading with the aim of getting level flight with less "squat" by flying at lower angle of attack.
Or put another way, flying at the same speed but at less angle of attack. Thats the biggest difference I see between my two planes- the Expeditions wing loading lets it fly noticeably flatter than the Supertrino.

As AC Glenn found, just flying faster to flatten out the angle of attack has its own issues.
Apr 19, 2019, 02:13 AM
Flying>Life
Thread OP

Quick Reply