Jan 13, 2018, 03:09 PM
Flying>Life
Thread OP
Build Log

Official Balsa F3P Build

Background:

In 2015, I started flying F1D (Indoor Freeflight duration) and was introduced to new materials + building techniques. I decided to apply these new ideas and input them into F3P. Since then, I have built 4 competitive Balsa/ Balsa boron models, one of which was used at the 2017 F3P World Championships (38g rtf with removable wings). The reason why I have stuck with balsa for the past 2 years is because it is extremely cheap, light, and easy to work with.

Materials:
1 sheet of 1/32 Balsa ($2.49)
2 or 3um mylar (https://www.homefly.com/products.asp?id=31) ($8.55)
1 piece of carbon fiber for landing gear and control arms (cost may vary, usually around $5.99)
Servos: Spektrum 2020 ($18.99) and 2 Spektrum 2010 ($17.49)
Contra can vary (I am using the Lanstov 1s system with 15" props)
RX can vary, need at least 4 channels (I am using the 7ch deltang)
ESC: HobbyKing 3amp esc (usually around $7ish)
1S 150mah Eflite battery with custom connector ($5)
Balsa stripper (optional, can be 3D printed or bought at a local hobby shop)

Building tips:
-Use super glue gel, much easier to use and doesn't soak into the balsa.
-Build it like a traditional foamy.
- To bend the balsa, soak it in water for 20 minutes and use thumb tacks to hold it in place over night.
-Reinforce the ail. hinge where the control arm is with .010 carbon fiber.
- Don't force bend some of the parts while gluing, it will cause the piece to warp.

Below are some photos that I took while building the plane, if you want anymore detailed photos, just comment and I will do my best to upload them.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2018, 03:12 PM
Flying>Life
Thread OP
Some good threads to view for construction/ bracing methods is the Jan's Supertrino build (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...rtrino-Mark-II) and Janne's Rane 2017 (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0944-Rane-2017)
Jan 13, 2018, 06:00 PM
Senior to who? Member
Great work Joseph! Will you be flying it at CCBC this winter season? I have a SuperTrino kit coming and hope to get it together quickly for use there.
Jan 13, 2018, 06:10 PM
Senior to who? Member
So no boron used in the latest? When you used boron was it used on opposing sides of the wood? or for something other than stiffness?
Jan 13, 2018, 06:48 PM
Flying>Life
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossup
So no boron used in the latest? When you used boron was it used on opposing sides of the wood? or for something other than stiffness?
There was no boron used on this model. When I used it on the last model, It was used on both sides of the balsa to make it stiffer and much stronger overall.
Jan 13, 2018, 06:49 PM
Flying>Life
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossup
Great work Joseph! Will you be flying it at CCBC this winter season? I have a SuperTrino kit coming and hope to get it together quickly for use there.
Yes sir! Plan to be over there for F3P and F1D practice. Looking forward to seeing the Supertrino!
Jan 14, 2018, 08:47 AM
Senior to who? Member
At $2.49 for 1/32" sheet I'd guess you're not concerned with low density wood. I'm guessing you actually want moderately dense wood given how small your framing is...so off the shelf wood from Micheals?
Jan 14, 2018, 09:29 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Hi Joseph,

What sort of sizes are you using for the various parts?
What weight of balsa?

Thanks,

Pat
Jan 14, 2018, 03:23 PM
Flying>Life
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie
Hi Joseph,

What sort of sizes are you using for the various parts?
What weight of balsa?

Thanks,

Pat
Pat,

I am using 2 different sizes (airframe and bracing) of 1/32 balsa which doesn't have a specific size. I measure them by weight (once i'm happy with it, I make more of the same size strips with my balsa stripper). The bigger strip (for the airframe) is roughly .18g for a 36" piece. The smaller strip used for bracing is around .12g for a 36" piece.
Jan 14, 2018, 03:28 PM
I guess how brave/bold you are determines how thin the strips are going to be
Do you have a link to the 3d printed stripper you mentioned earlier?
Jan 14, 2018, 04:08 PM
Flying>Life
Thread OP
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1728459

Here's the link to the balsa stripper. It's almost identical to the one that I bought from the store.
Jan 14, 2018, 04:14 PM
I was hoping for some fancy F1D sort of thing

That looks like the Master Airscrew stripper, I have one of those. Very handy tool. Mine is screwed to a piece of wood, and when set the width I stick the tip of the blade into the wood.
This stops the blade from deflecting with the grain giving you trapezoid strips in thick wood or variable width ones in thin wood.
Jan 14, 2018, 05:31 PM
Senior to who? Member
Never seen a blue Master Airscrew striper but the one in Josephs photo looks store bought to me. If you become addicted to stripping wood, here's the mac daddy stripper:
Ray Harlan stripper- http://www.indoorspecialties.com/index1.html go to Tools, Micrometer Balsa Stripper
I should add this is commonly used to make very precise, very small strips for F1D and such indoor planes. Its the kind of tool you trust to cut up the best wood available, which for the US and EU areas is probably from England:
http://www.aeroaces.com/greenmanbalsa.htm
I imagine Joseph is more qualified to comment on this, but he's much better at staying on topic so I chimed in
Last edited by crossup; Jan 14, 2018 at 05:46 PM.
Jan 15, 2018, 11:17 AM
Thank you for posting the build log. Any chance you could post the plans of your design.

Thanks
Last edited by abasualdo; Jan 15, 2018 at 11:22 AM.
Jan 15, 2018, 12:04 PM
ME at Cal Poly
dude Joe, this looks epic! Nice work man! Thanks for sharing too

Free

Quick Reply