Sep 16, 2018, 07:10 AM
Jim
Multiplex FunCub is the only cub I've owned that did not have any nasty habits. Just my 2 cents worth.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2018, 01:52 PM
Taildragger
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVNewbie
It would be easy to square off the wing tips on the Simple Cub and also to continue the underside right to the end.

Honestly, all Cubs seem to tip stall and I wonder if it isn't the combination of the shorter wingspan and the last 20% of the wing is a) rounded and b) has a different profile. In essence the outer 20% of the wing might be producing a lot of drag and contributing no lift.

Thanks for the pics of the Cubs with squared off wing ends. Now I don't feel bad about squaring off mine.

Edit: kit foxes have a squared off wing as well.

Edit: I made the wing panels a full 20" wide, the width of a foam board. If I use the stock aileron layout, it will now be 18" long ! Should I split the aileron into 2, ie a flap and a aileron ? If so, where should the split be ? 6" of flap and 12 inches of aileron ? or 8 and 10 " ?
One thing that would help is adding washout to the wings . This makes the root of the wing stall before the tip. Not sure how hard it would be to execute with Foam board.
Oct 12, 2018, 10:16 AM
Hi,
Are plans available (link) for this Simple Cub
Thanks
Oct 12, 2018, 10:21 AM
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutin
Hi,
Are plans available (link) for this Simple Cub
Thanks
https://www.flitetest.com/articles/d...mple-cub-build

scroll down page a bit...pdf will be there.
Oct 15, 2018, 02:15 PM
Just now realized this thread existed (actually I've been posting more on the FT forums here as of recent). No maiden yet, but have done some taxi tests and such. Here's a little video I did as sort of an introduction...

Why did I choose the FT Simple Cub? ...build thoughts and experiences (good and bad) (5 min 51 sec)

Tried following the build video closely but ended up not being happy with the pushrod situation and servo location. The pushrods I bought (they were pushrods from the FT store) ended up being way too flimsy. Ended up moving the servos to the tail and using some stronger pushrod material. Since messing with it some more, I have also downsized the motor (originally a 1200KV/500watt motor in the video, now an 1100KV/250 watt motor) AND I am also moving the battery inside the power pod (ESC on bottom) and making a front battery hatch. Hopefully be much easier to access the battery. Made mine a 3 channel in hopes of using to train some new pilots.
Mar 07, 2019, 01:08 PM
Started FT Cub as my first build in about three decades See how that goes.
Drawn plans on a paper using my vinyl cutter with a ballpoint pen attachment that i modeled and 3d printed...

I worry that my foam might be heavy. Living in UK has its disadvantages when materials concerned.
Could someone weigh a full sheet of so called dollar foam ?
Mar 08, 2019, 01:38 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
110g
Mar 08, 2019, 03:26 PM
sweet dreams & flying machines
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronPork
Started FT Cub as my first build in about three decades See how that goes.
Drawn plans on a paper using my vinyl cutter with a ballpoint pen attachment that i modeled and 3d printed...

I worry that my foam might be heavy. Living in UK has its disadvantages when materials concerned.
I find I'm spoiled for choice:
  • Depron is readily available
  • 6mm XPS is cheaply / readily available via a number of ebay vendors
  • B&Q Diall 5mm XPS is very light / at first glace somewhat flimsy but actually very survivable when covered with parcel tape or laminating film
  • Hobbycraft foamboard is very usable once the heavy paper (card) is removed.
Mar 08, 2019, 05:23 PM
Correction - Living in Northern Ireland...The sticks... etc...
Dont have tools to deal with chunks of depron that i could get here for reasonable price.
Closest b&q is 30 miles.
Foamboard that you need to remove paper from is... meh ? Composite is composite for a reason.

Bought some cheap foamboard and its twice as heavy as dollar foam, a1 sheet weighs in at 210 gramms.

Went through several local ad companies - NO ONE uses foamboard. Supermarkets dont have disposable printed displays to give away...

Being cheap is hard here.
Mar 08, 2019, 06:56 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
Don't know about the weight, but I have built several from plain cardboard. They flew fine.

cardboard short (0 min 13 sec)

Very confined space to fly in. I did fly small 3D planes till they
built senior housing there.
Last edited by BHOFM; Mar 08, 2019 at 07:17 PM.
Mar 25, 2019, 02:42 AM
Mian
SU 27 RC plan Flying at Barki Road, Lahore (5 min 55 sec)

my Build. SU 27, 2700KV BLDC.
Apr 09, 2019, 08:34 AM
Didn't have my high rates setup correctly (was trying to beat the wind). So it was a brief maiden...but she flew and actually flew pretty good before it went a little crazy.

FT Simple Cub maiden and CRASH! (0 min 51 sec)
Aug 03, 2019, 04:20 PM
Hot glue will fix anything!
The FT Cub has been my daily flyer for the last 3 years, ive built and bought all sorts but i just keep coming back to the cub.
Its large enough to be stable and also carry way more weight than most think (i often fly weighing 1.1kg!) but small enough to be agile and sporty.

When josh bixler designed a 'docile trainer' he never anticipated it being flown the way i do lol.
There are many many FT Cub flights on my channel but this is my latest:
FT Cub sat afternon cruise above the clouds (10 min 7 sec)
Nov 30, 2019, 05:25 AM
What do you think about the motor size I've got a few of these lying around: https://de.banggood.com/4X-Racerstar...p-1066837.html
They have around 800gr pull on a 5inch prop, and about 400W.
Do you think that would work, does the smaller prop change anything?
Nov 30, 2019, 08:10 AM
Hot glue will fix anything!
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermario123456
What do you think about the motor size I've got a few of these lying around: https://de.banggood.com/4X-Racerstar...p-1066837.html
They have around 800gr pull on a 5inch prop, and about 400W.
Do you think that would work, does the smaller prop change anything?
I can't say how it will perform as I've not tried it yet but I've been tempted to put a similar motor rated at 2600kv and a 1.1kg pull with a 6x4 prop on for giggles.

For an every day motor I would be going for a racerstar 2212 1400kv (my standard go too choice) with a 9x5 prop:

https://www.banggood.com/custlink/G3DmE4HsKb

OR a racerstar 2830 1300 kv with ether a 9x5 or 10x4 prop (slightly slower but better efficiency)
https://www.banggood.com/custlink/DDKD89Gfz8

If you go to my YouTube channel, all of the specs used in my cubs are in the description. With links to everything.

Quick Reply