Sep 04, 2018, 01:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusual_rc
Which CAD software did you use, Bermy?

My idea is to design a hull specific for speed. I would look for inspiration at Marathon river racing hulls.
It was solid edge like I use. Well the drawings said that on them anyway.

So yeah, I'm on board with that plan. The marathon racers handle the power better but are also shaped more suitably for running on moving water (rivers and rapids). It's a bit like kayakers point about smoothing out the keel so his boat doesn't get pushed around in the current. If we have a longer, flatter hull, the river current will have less authority over the hulls heading.

I'm sure kayaker will chip in shortly!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2018, 03:24 PM
When I reveal the hull I’m working on for turbulent water that has no keel, “V” or strakes I expect to open some eyes. This will require a video to convince people of the exceptional control that is possible so you will have to wait until I finish the build before I make this video. This hull even runs OK on a lake.
Sep 05, 2018, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk911
It was solid edge like I use. Well the drawings said that on them anyway.........The marathon racers handle the power better but are also shaped more suitably for running on moving water (rivers and rapids)....
I missed that from Solid Edge
Great software for making flat outs from curved surfaces too.

The Marathon hulls are actually optimized to run fast in a straight line on flat water. When running over white water the speed is greatly reduced.
So this is not a good blueprint for a very fast steerable boat like a jet-sprint.

Kayaker is looking for a more kayak like handling in white water. Also a very interesting project.

Keep improving the hull design!
Sep 06, 2018, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Could I beg you to share me a copy of the 3D file please? It would be so helpful with my project!! If memory serves me right, you did it in Solid Edge anyway which is perfect!
Cheers!

Duncan
Duncan,
I have done my best to export to an IGS. Unfortunately as it was done as flattened surfaces the file is not really a whole boat but a series of surfaces from sketches.

Can you open SE Academic?

Bermy
Last edited by bermylizard; Sep 06, 2018 at 04:14 PM.
Sep 06, 2018, 04:14 PM
I used 0.8mm ply for my original hull, after the glass coat it was rock solid.

Bermy
Sep 07, 2018, 04:54 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusual_rc
I missed that from Solid Edge
Great software for making flat outs from curved surfaces too.

The Marathon hulls are actually optimized to run fast in a straight line on flat water. When running over white water the speed is greatly reduced.
So this is not a good blueprint for a very fast steerable boat like a jet-sprint.

Kayaker is looking for a more kayak like handling in white water. Also a very interesting project.

Keep improving the hull design!

I still think we need to flatten that keel.

I will go into why in more detail when I'm back doing my own design

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermylizard
Duncan,
I have done my best to export to an IGS. Unfortunately as it was done as flattened surfaces the file is not really a whole boat but a series of surfaces from sketches.

Can you open SE Academic?

Bermy
Cheers mate! Yeah should be able to open it.

Quote:
I used 0.8mm ply for my original hull, after the glass coat it was rock solid.

Bermy
Think I used 1.6mm, on hindsight I would use less.

What did you make the longitudinals from?
Sep 07, 2018, 04:41 PM
the longitudinals were also 0.8mm but beefed up with glass.
Sep 07, 2018, 04:52 PM
Here is the part file.

bermy
Sep 07, 2018, 06:13 PM
TTN
TTN
Design & Build <3
Quote:
Here is the part file.

bermy
WOW thanks!! I've crawled all over your profile and posts gather details. Literally right now I was screenshotting the profiles from the PDF printout and reverse engineering it in Solidworks. This is miles better. Thanks so much! My fully 3D printed jetsprint boat will use this hull shape. It'll be version 4 lol, I was never quiet happy with the hull shape this is going to be perfect. Thanks so much! I've looked at your hull design before a few times months ago, and again today, until now I put it into the "too hard too much effort" basket. This is going to be awesome.

EDIT: I've made the hull into a shell that is 3D printable - It can be easily scaled and and the thickness changed. Files attached, or send me a PM if you'd like me to send you a printable STL with your desired specs.
Last edited by TTN; Sep 07, 2018 at 08:12 PM.
Sep 07, 2018, 09:17 PM
Thanks. Some have suggested the 23 deg is too aggressive, I am designing it a bit lower this weekend.

Duncan I am sorry if this distracted from your build. It was all with good intentions.

I might consolidate these files over in the original 1/4 Jet Sprint post and let you crack on with your build. Speaking of which, have you any pics?

bermy
Last edited by bermylizard; Sep 07, 2018 at 09:23 PM.
Sep 13, 2018, 02:35 PM
Thread OP
Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you both, I've been offline for a while.

Quote:
the longitudinals were also 0.8mm but beefed up with glass.
Quote:
Here is the part file.

bermy
Quote:
Thanks. Some have suggested the 23 deg is too aggressive, I am designing it a bit lower this weekend.

Duncan I am sorry if this distracted from your build. It was all with good intentions.

I might consolidate these files over in the original 1/4 Jet Sprint post and let you crack on with your build. Speaking of which, have you any pics?

bermy
Thank you very much, Bermy!

Pics of what precisely? The build photos are over the past goodness knows how many pages!

It's not really a distraction mate, I am benefitting greatly from the CAD model so thanks! More than happy to tell you how the build went.

I can't say really that mine is indicative of the success of your plan though, I had to change things like the deadrise and delta to get the 45mm pump to fit. Mine was a bit of a pain to assemble, with lots of trimming but I think my changes are the reason for that. It would have been soooo much easier if I'd had the 3D CAD in the beginning haha. Nevermind - I have it now! I would say that seeing as Kawasaki's hull went together nicely it is a success though, he built it without changing anything I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTN
WOW thanks!! I've crawled all over your profile and posts gather details. Literally right now I was screenshotting the profiles from the PDF printout and reverse engineering it in Solidworks. This is miles better. Thanks so much! My fully 3D printed jetsprint boat will use this hull shape. It'll be version 4 lol, I was never quiet happy with the hull shape this is going to be perfect. Thanks so much! I've looked at your hull design before a few times months ago, and again today, until now I put it into the "too hard too much effort" basket. This is going to be awesome.

EDIT: I've made the hull into a shell that is 3D printable - It can be easily scaled and and the thickness changed. Files attached, or send me a PM if you'd like me to send you a printable STL with your desired specs.
You have no idea how much help you have been to my project here. Thank you so much!

The built in deck hatch flange is a good idea. Nice one!

Next step must be to scale it and integrate a suitable pump from the 3D printed pump thread eh? No more bonding pumps in! I love it!
Sep 13, 2018, 07:35 PM
This is getting very interesting
Sep 16, 2018, 11:56 AM
Quote:

Pics of what precisely?
Oops, after 5 years of forum to catch up on I have gotten a bit confused

I see the pics now.

Bermy
Sep 18, 2018, 04:49 AM
Thread OP
Hehe. No bother.

I'm going to get on and fix the pump next week when I come back off holiday. I've got some ideas now.

Should be back testing stuff again soon.
Sep 23, 2018, 12:15 AM
TTN
TTN
Design & Build <3
Quote:
You have no idea how much help you have been to my project here. Thank you so much!
The built in deck hatch flange is a good idea. Nice one!
No worries glad it was helpful!!

Quote:
Next step must be to scale it and integrate a suitable pump from the 3D printed pump thread eh? No more bonding pumps in! I love it!
Yep. I've got a 600mm long fully 3D printable one that I'm CAD'ing up this weekend. I've got that 3674 motor with 120A esc to drive it. 30mm pump should be enough I think? Is 45mm more efficient? 45mm is huge! but so is a a 700mm boat

3D printing things is the convenient/lazy/quick way to do things I think. There's something special about taking a bunch of materials and manipulating them into a beautiful boat by hand. Making something in in the virtual world, CAD, and then making it real is cool too but making it by hand is special. Your boat is truly well thought out and planned. Very very nice work. I hope you don't mind if I borrow some of the ideas used here?
Last edited by TTN; Sep 23, 2018 at 01:00 AM.

Quick Reply