Aug 01, 2019, 09:43 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Gonna have to get you one of those new fangled portable air conditioners!!! Nothing will stop ya!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 02, 2019, 10:56 AM
Pro Hoarder
Thread OP
I need that and a bunch of insulation..then were are good to go..currently looking into digging out part of the basement and making a new work shop...Good all year round down there
Latest blog entry: In flight
Aug 02, 2019, 11:09 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
You have filled your home with all the cool small fighter kits! Ya gotta keep em air conditioned....
Aug 02, 2019, 11:14 AM
EB-66C Team Member
My buddy bought one of those new portable AC units. They'd be okay in small spaces but don't do as well in a space the size of a two car garage. My garage and garage doors are insulated and it still gets to 90+ in there, when it's 105 to 110 outside. Ahh...life in the desert!
Aug 02, 2019, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy
I hear ya, Scott! I relocated my model building to a spare room in the house, last month. It was so hot in my garage, I wouldn't have needed a heat gun to shrink covering!
You guys need to do what I did- If you have a two or more car garage get the wife to allow you to part or all of one side with an insulated and sheetrocked 2X4 wall with exterior door on it.

If you have a window, you can put in an AC unit or use one of the small package AC's where the entire interior portion hangs on the wall and the condensor is outside.

"My" side of my three car garage is next to the living room, so I stole one of the AC vent return lines and ran it to a vent in the garage cieling. Then I added another vent to the garage cieling and ducted it back to the now open vent in the living room for supply.

Voila! One heated and cooled workshop! I shut the vents and open the door if I'm doing anything smelly.
Aug 02, 2019, 02:50 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooroo
You guys need to do what I did- If you have a two or more car garage get the wife to allow you to part or all of one side with an insulated and sheetrocked 2X4 wall with exterior door on it.

If you have a window, you can put in an AC unit or use one of the small package AC's where the entire interior portion hangs on the wall and the condensor is outside.

"My" side of my three car garage is next to the living room, so I stole one of the AC vent return lines and ran it to a vent in the garage cieling. Then I added another vent to the garage cieling and ducted it back to the now open vent in the living room for supply.

Voila! One heated and cooled workshop! I shut the vents and open the door if I'm doing anything smelly.
Nice! When I leave California, my retirement home (not assisted living ) will have an air conditioned shop on the property.
Aug 02, 2019, 04:22 PM
Pro Hoarder
Thread OP
My current 2 car garage (more like 1 .5 car) is a dedicated hobby room..cars sit outside..the roof is flat tile and absorbs heat from the sun all day and radiates heat back into the garage up to early morning..then repeat the cycle..So for me AC and insulation is required ..My desire to build out the basement is so the wifey can park her new 4runner in the garage
Aug 02, 2019, 05:14 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
My current 2 car garage (more like 1 .5 car) is a dedicated hobby room..cars sit outside..the roof is flat tile and absorbs heat from the sun all day and radiates heat back into the garage up to early morning..then repeat the cycle..So for me AC and insulation is required ..My desire to build out the basement is so the wifey can park her new 4runner in the garage
Happy wife, happy life! Good on ya, Scott!
Aug 02, 2019, 08:41 PM
All this for model airplanes!
Aug 03, 2019, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy....
Aug 07, 2019, 05:11 PM
Pro Hoarder
Thread OP
I did some measuring and I can build out 7 feet by 24 feet pretty easy..Bit narrower than I was hoping for but doable
Aug 07, 2019, 11:09 PM
Nitro User
That's not bad you can build 1/3rd scale planes out of that much space =)

Quick Reply