Jun 14, 2020, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laury415
I took a look at the link you provided. It's a little confusing because it looks like it's 2 retracts for the mains, the description says single, so not sure if it's a single or both of them. I didn't see any mechanism to make it a nose gear steerable retract. Also the price that came up was $69 and it looks like about $28 to ship it to the US. Perhaps the link you gave pointed me to something other than what you were looking at.

Hereís my order. You can see that I ordered one and the extras that will make it steerable. Weíll see if I did it right when I take delivery!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2020, 10:27 PM
Saddlebum, thanks for explaining. Please let us know how it works out.
Jul 20, 2020, 11:30 AM
Hi Guys,
This 105 degree retract works great! However, itís no bolt in installation. I think the pictures will explain what I had to do. I show the servo info because the mounting bolt spacing is 30mm and this was the only one I found that fit.
KB
Last edited by Saddlebum; Jul 23, 2020 at 07:50 AM.
Jul 23, 2020, 08:02 AM

Fuselage mounted ESCís.

I decided to avoid the long cable run to ESCís on the motor pods by mounting them in the nose. Iíll be installing NACA ducts in the nose to cool them.
Jul 23, 2020, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddlebum
I decided to avoid the long cable run to ESCís on the motor pods by mounting them in the nose. Iíll be installing NACA ducts in the nose to cool them.
The NACA ducts may provide adequate cooling only if there is a place to let the air out. Be sure to provide an exhaust port/hole somewhere in the fuse.
-Vic
Jul 23, 2020, 08:59 AM
Right, thatís where that big hole in the fuselage for the nose gear comes in.
Jul 23, 2020, 10:44 AM

Connectors

Since I have my ESCís in the nose and added a full set of lights I have 8 connectors!
Aug 13, 2020, 11:58 PM
I knew this plane would see an early demise. I had a lot of problems all through the build. I had several good flights, but the plane was very heavy for the wing loading. Last flight one of the engines quit. I tried to get it back, but no luck.
Aug 14, 2020, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laury415
I knew this plane would see an early demise. I had a lot of problems all through the build. I had several good flights, but the plane was very heavy for the wing loading. Last flight one of the engines quit. I tried to get it back, but no luck.
Sorry to hear of your loss. It is rare that I hear about an engine failure on an electric plane. An engine failure on most twins is extremely hard control and often results in a crash. The weight and wing loading of this model did not make recovery from an engine failure an easy task.
-Vic
Aug 16, 2020, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyrc_vic
Sorry to hear of your loss. It is rare that I hear about an engine failure on an electric plane. An engine failure on most twins is extremely hard control and often results in a crash. The weight and wing loading of this model did not make recovery from an engine failure an easy task.
-Vic
To more accurately describe the failure, I received a message on my radio that one of my battery packs was low (telemetry monitors pack voltages) but I was only flying for a couple minutes and the pack should go about 8 minutes. I immediately tried to get the plane into a landing pattern, but making my first turn put the plane into a roll which was an indication one of the motors wasn't working. I recovered from the roll but took a couple seconds to figure out orientation and unfortunately the plane was flying further away. I was able to make a slow turn under control and the dropped the gear. I was getting close to the runway when the plane started to roll again. I didn't have enough altitude to save it and it went in.

Later I checked both battery packs under load and found they were fine. I also checked the motors and esc's and found they were fine too. I suspect the culprit was a multipoint connector I used that the ESC signal/control went through.

Quick Reply