Nov 14, 2018, 06:00 PM
Old RC Guy Having Fun!
Phoenix, Appreciate your posts. I have decided to get one of the 1.8 models though winter might keep me from flying it till spring Look forward to seeing your model completed and flying! Best, Aero
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2018, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo
There's a double whammy against this model, it's really a "niche" or specialty plane, that appeals to a limited market, and it's also overpriced.
Agreed on both counts Angelo. I'm happy to keep plodding on as the model is for me after all. However, I do like sharing my experiences with others as well on platforms such as here. Anything that helps others to learn about things is always good from my viewpoint.
Nov 15, 2018, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronut41
Phoenix, Appreciate your posts. I have decided to get one of the 1.8 models though winter might keep me from flying it till spring Look forward to seeing your model completed and flying! Best, Aero
Many thanks Aeronut41. I look forward to you joining the club. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

I hope to post some more photos over the next few days; other responsibilities allowing.
Nov 16, 2018, 10:46 AM
Old RC Guy Having Fun!
The videos of this model all show it zooming around in a very non scale manner! I'm more interested in keeping it light and flying it slower more scale like and perhaps even thermaling it if possible. Anyway, will follow your build with interest Aero
Nov 16, 2018, 10:54 AM

More photos

Here are a few more mock up photos of the A-Frame and the pilot figure/s.

The first photo shows my mod to accommodate the female pilot head as shown in an earlier post. This consists of a 4mm nylon bolt, surrounded by a piece of carbon tube and topped off with some tape to produce the correct diameter for the retention of the head without the need for glue. It will be painted flesh colour. The bolt is epoxied on the interior of the body. I've also angled the post downwards by about 30 degrees as the upwards angle of the head on the first trial looked too unnatural.

Photo 2 shows the result with the original model. You can see the difference in the head angle compared to the photo in an earlier post.

My system allows for alternative pilots to be employed as demonstrated in the remaining photos. The girls crash helmets are made from table tennis balls and are shown in their bare state. More work will be done to them; strap, foam interior, etc.

Still thinking about what to do with the arms.

Hope you find the post interesting.
Nov 17, 2018, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronut41
The videos of this model all show it zooming around in a very non scale manner! I'm more interested in keeping it light and flying it slower more scale like and perhaps even thermaling it if possible. Anyway, will follow your build with interest Aero
I have to agree with you Aeronut41 about the videos; the model is mostly being flown like an aerobatic wing / sports model which doesn't seem to be in keeping with the scale like aspect of this particular model.

Essentially, apart from my few mods, I'm building the model stock and intend to fly in a scale like manner and hope to do some soarimg / thermaling with it too. Considering its wing area and weight this shouldn't be a problem in my opinion. I think it would also be possible to completely omit the plastic wing ribs, spar pieces and steel joiners and join the wing halves with simple carbon joiners in much the same way as other similar EPP wings. The centre section and A-Frame could easily still be incorporated. This would result in a much lighter model although it would be necessary to accept that the wing can't be split for transport. However, I've tested with my VW Golf and the model can easily be transported whole with no problem.
Nov 17, 2018, 12:07 PM
Old RC Guy Having Fun!
Good idea on omitting the heavy plastic parts! If it fits in your Golf it should fit in my KIA Soul Aero
Nov 27, 2018, 02:41 PM
Sorry for the absence of updates but I've been really tied up with work related matters and haven't been able to make any further progress on the model. I will post when there's something new to report.
Dec 06, 2018, 08:11 AM

1.8 Maiden

I did the maiden on a 1.8 yesterday. It was a very uneventful maiden. I completed 3 flights using Admiral 3S 2200mAh batteries. My longest flight was for 8 minutes and I had 40% left in that battery when I was done. I'm using the power system that was recommended in the instruction manual and there seems to be plenty of power (this power system is also the same one recommended for the 1.3 version). The only deviation I made from the instruction was that I did not install the wheels. First, I could not get the screws that are used as axles to screw into the carbon rod to hold the wheels. The screws were too loose. I think the instructions are telling me to glue the axles into the carbon cross bar (I have commitment issues so I have not glued them yet). Secondly, the rigging that attaches to the fitting base for the wheel axles is interfering with the rotation of the wheels. I may try smaller wheels or thicker spacers on the axles to remedy my problem.
As far as flying goes, the 1.8 flew right out of my hands and I climbed to a safe altitude to trim it out. No major trim was needed just a little bit of up (probably a combination of not enough reflex on the elevons and using a heavier battery than recommended). Aerobatics: loops were a nonissue, elevon rolls were pretty lethargic (I would recommend plenty of altitude when you try your first elevon roll). I did not try to stall the 1.8 I was concerned that once it dropped a wing and started to spiral I may not of had enough altitude, speed, or time to recover. I do not really plan on flying this way. I just like cruising around the field and doing slow flybys. Power off glide seemed good for an EPP wing. The landings were also pretty easy as well. Since I do not have the wheels installed my landings were a little abrupt in a grass field ( my pilot figure did dislocate a shoulder on one firm landing, but a little glue and we were back in business) . I also have not tried to fly the 1.8 without the tail yet. Overall I am pretty happy with this new aircraft.
Dec 06, 2018, 09:09 PM
Old RC Guy Having Fun!
Thanks for the interesting and informative report! Nice pics too Best Aero
Apr 22, 2019, 11:40 AM
Firstly an apology for anyone who's been waiting on an update re my 1.8m. Since I last posted way back in November, some everyday life things have simply prevented me from model-making activities. However, a weeks holiday during this Easter has given me the opportunity to get back into models and flying. The upshot is that my 1.8m is now more or less completed apart from a few bits of tidying up and finalising control throws.

I've made some changes to small details of the model and hope to post some photos during this week. Then, if the weather plays ball the following weekend the maiden flight and report will be added here.
Apr 28, 2019, 09:51 AM

Pre maiden photos

Seems interest in this model has wained somewhat over the past few months or so. However, I'm still posting some photos for anyone who might drop in. These were taken this morning at the club field prior to the maiden flight.

The maiden was completely uneventful apart from a few difficulties on take off with a 45 degree breeze trying to tip the model over. Power was just sufficient for scale like flight but nothing more. Control throws were as per manual and it flew very comfortably and smoothly with these settings. No trim adjustments were needed. The off power glide wasn't that great but the model is very draggy and I fitted a fixed prop as I didn't have a folder available.

A friend took some in flight shots which he promised to send me. If they're OK I will post them here too.
May 12, 2019, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix239
Seems interest in this model has wained somewhat over the past few months or so. However, I'm still posting some photos for anyone who might drop in.
Nice shots! As has already been mentioned, the price on this has kept many, including me, from following up. But I do like seeing your shots of the finished wing.
May 13, 2019, 04:36 AM
Thanks Angelo,
Unfortunately, my friends photos, taken on his mobile, were dreadful along with a video he also took. When the weather is next suitable I'll ask him (or someone else) to use my camera.
May 22, 2019, 06:45 AM
Hi guys,

We finally have delivery of Punkair's smallest paragliders & hang gliders (Picus and Agilis) now available on our site. Everything is included with these models including batteries and controllers. Enjoy! Link

Brad
Twisted Hobbys

Quick Reply