Cutting Down/Storing Foam - RC Groups
Jan 12, 2018, 06:34 AM
Watch this!
Discussion

Cutting Down/Storing Foam

I've been thinking about experimenting with hot wire cutting some foam wings (I think my first project will be an oversize/stol type wing for a bunch of HZ Super Cub parts I have sitting around), so I picked up some Foamular 2" 250 "pink" foam (I got the pink stuff at that weight because after stopping at 5 stores it was the only stuff available here at thicker widths, lots of 1/2" or so but I didn't want to have to glue it up since I haven't heard of any glue that cuts well with a hot wire cutter).

Anyway, I'd like to cut it into smaller sections to store it (4x4' is fine, but 4x8' is big enough that I don't see how I'm going to store it without it getting all dinged up) but the stuff is scored over 1/4" deep the length of the board at 16, 24, 32" (looks like so you can snap it at 16 or 24" widths without cutting). I don't see making single wing pannels >48" long, but at some point I'd like to try a flying wing which I believe can get over 16" from tip to tail (I haven't really looked hard at proportions), so now I'm wondering what the best way to break this down into more manageable sections without having the score marks get in the way later or end up with a lot of unusable scraps.

Any suggestions? What works for you?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2018, 11:35 AM
Scratch builder
For what its worth, I bought a blue slab and cut it in half at the store so I could get it in the car!

It sits unused along with some 4" thick pink, I found in the trash at the local high school.

I made a hot wire table and thought I would be cutting up foam.

I didn't have much enthusiasm for it after discovering Adams and Ross foam boards.

Hot wiring ended up being too tedious and less precise than I liked.

The dinged up pink sits flat on top of a low shelf and serves as a bed for the rest of my foam.
Jan 12, 2018, 11:57 AM
Dig it out and give it a fair chance? Hot wiring does have a small learning curve. After the 5 or 6th try/practice your skills with it should be Much better
The results are FAR more rewarding than salvaged Cheap Foamcore foams.
Jan 12, 2018, 03:04 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Don't just consider cutting wings, cut various thicknesses of flat sheet, ideal for fuselages and formers.
Jan 12, 2018, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpikas
I've been thinking about experimenting with hot wire cutting some foam wings (I think my first project will be an oversize/stol type wing for a bunch of HZ Super Cub parts I have sitting around), so I picked up some Foamular 2" 250 "pink" foam (I got the pink stuff at that weight because after stopping at 5 stores it was the only stuff available here at thicker widths, lots of 1/2" or so but I didn't want to have to glue it up since I haven't heard of any glue that cuts well with a hot wire cutter).

Anyway, I'd like to cut it into smaller sections to store it (4x4' is fine, but 4x8' is big enough that I don't see how I'm going to store it without it getting all dinged up) but the stuff is scored over 1/4" deep the length of the board at 16, 24, 32" (looks like so you can snap it at 16 or 24" widths without cutting). I don't see making single wing pannels >48" long, but at some point I'd like to try a flying wing which I believe can get over 16" from tip to tail (I haven't really looked hard at proportions), so now I'm wondering what the best way to break this down into more manageable sections without having the score marks get in the way later or end up with a lot of unusable scraps.

Any suggestions? What works for you?
If 4x4 works for you just cut it in half. As far as the score cuts you can cut longer wing cores in line with the cuts. Turn the templates so the cuts don't go into the area of the wing core. As far as storage I pin the sheet to the ceiling of my garage. It insulates and keeps it out of the way. A few dings wont hurt because the core is cut from the center.
Feb 07, 2018, 06:05 PM
In the midwest we can get low density (1-lb./cu.ft.) white polystyrene in 3/4" ($8) and 1-1/2" ($16)thick precut for between stud insulating- 6-packs of 14.5"x 48"- loads right in the car. The cost is about double of the same amount of 4x8 sheets and only in those 2 thicknesses.
If you want to get the 4' x8' sheets, I just decide ahead of time what USEABLE size blocks I want to fit in the SUV/ store in my workshop. I slice off a 2' x4' pc. first then 4-2' x3' of the remainder. 3/4, 1, 1-1/2, and 2" thick all from the "green" home store in white. The "blue"(L) or "orange"(HD) stores don't carry 2" of any type foam. White 2" x 4' x8' is 50% CHEAPER @$13 than pink foamuler 250 @$26 around here. Foamuler 150 is $25
I just use the long retracting snap off blade type knife-4' straight edge- and slice while verticle on the cart-outside the store. Don't do this on a windy day.
Feb 07, 2018, 06:14 PM
You can avoid cutting thru glue by tack glueing blocks together for cutting, then pop them apart and apply the permanent glue or its a handy way to add a spar between them.
Feb 08, 2018, 07:16 AM
Previously I have just placed 3 slabs of thin foam on top of each other with a melamine board on top as weight, fix the templates and cut the wing profile as normal.

The 3 slices were then glued together, fitted perfectly and you could hardly see the join afterwards.

Paul

Quick Reply