This thread is privately moderated by Suko, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 11, 2018, 05:01 PM
aka ShadowVFX
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Lemon Gyro Setup w/ Freewing F-16 V2

It seems like there's always a lot of questions on how to setup the Lemon stabilizer in a plane. There's a lot of guides out there, but it seems like that first setup can be daunting to a gyro newbie. I created this guide to help out some who may be needing some setup help. Specifically, this guide is made for the Freewing F-16 V2. However, there's no reason this setup couldn't also be used on similar 6ch aircraft utilizing flaperons.

Firstly, there's 2 different Lemon gyro types. The Lemon Stabilizer and the Lemon Stabilizer PLUS. I personally prefer the standard Lemon Stabilizers, since the PLUS versions are a bit more complicated and more tedious to setup (IMO). Before you get started, make sure you know which version you are using. The standard lemon has the satellite port next to the dials. The PLUS model has a recessed button.

Please note: In order to utilize all 6channels on a Lemon Stabilizer, you MUST have a 7+ channel transmitter. I know this doesn't make sense, but trust me. If you have a Dx6, this guide will not help you. There are gyro options available to you, but the Lemon Stabilizer I reference in this article won't work if you are trying to utilize Flaperons. See the next post for help using a 6ch radio.

This is the standard version w/ Satellite unit:
https://www.lemon-rx.com/index.php?r...product_id=128

I could walk through the entire setup process, but I think you'll have a better understanding if you read the first few posts of this thread and also read the instructions shown on the Lemon webpage I linked to above. I will write down some detailed steps here (but you'll still need to read those two links to understand exactly how to do some of this).

Quote:
I have made my Dx7 model file available to anyone using the newer (black) Spektrum transmitters. This should work on a Dx7 or above. It will not work as intended on a Dx6. You will need to have your Tx on the current firmware (1.20 at the time of writing this), otherwise the file won't load.
Get the Dx7 model setup here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post38248288
You can choose to keep or discard the blue box. It's your choice. I kept mine, but to get Flaperons to work, you will be bypassing it for the ailerons. Everything else should work fine going through the blue box. (Bluebox is specific to the Freewing F-16. If your plane doesn't have this, don't worry.)

1) I have my stabilizer located in the nose of the plane, just a little behind the blue box. My pins are facing forward towards the nose of the plane. Make sure all the dip switches are flipped the correct direction (by default, they should all be switched to the same side - but just make sure). See here for info. I recommend NOT doing flaperons yet. We will get to that - but I would recommend doing the standard setup first. Then we can setup flaperons once everything else working.

2) Plug in all the servo leads as normal except for the GEAR. Leave the gear unconnected for a moment and bind the Rx to your Transmitter. Once bound, remove the BIND plug and plug the landing gear servo cable into the BIND port on the Lemon Rx.

To recap why we're doing this:
Quote:
The key thing to remember is that the GEAR channel on the Lemon is used to toggle the gyro ON/OFF, so when hooking up servo leads, just plug the GEAR into the BIND port on the Rx (BIND is actually AUX2 on this Rx). And on your Tx, you'll use AUX2 to activate the retracts while GEAR will turn gyro on/off.

3) Turn up the gain dials on the gyro so you can see/hear the control surfaces moving when you hold the plane. Then test to make sure everything is working well. Make sure the controls are moving the correct directions per your inputs and make sure that the gyro is "correcting" the right direction. Use the dip switches J1,J2,J3 to reverse gyro direction if needed. Also check to make sure the gyro is turning on/off when you flip the GEAR switch on your transmitter. All of this is covered in many Youtube videos and on the links I provided above - so if you get stuck, do some homework and sleep on it and keep at it.

4) If the plane is working as intended and everything moves correctly, then it's time to setup the flaperons. You'll need to fish out the AILERON cables from inside the plane and remove the Y-Lead. (You'll probably need 2 servo extension cables for the aileron leads to reach the Rx). Plug one aileron lead into the AIL port on the Lemon and have the other AIL lead go into the AUX port on the Lemon.

Flip the dip switch labeled J6 on the Lemon to enable flaperons.

On your transmitter, setup the model to have Flaperons. This is going to differ depending on which Tx you're using, but on my Dx7 I go to Setup>Aircraft Type>Flaperons. I'd just ask Google how to do that on whatever Tx you are using. Setup Flaperons on your Tx as desired. Here's the setup I use and it seems to work well.

Once you have it all setup, test out the flaperons and make sure they're moving the correct direction (if not reverse the AIL and AUX servo leads). Also make sure the gyro is still correcting the control surfaces the right direction.

5) Unplug the battery. Turn off your Tx and turn everything back on and connect the battery to the plane. Test everything again - just to be sure everything is acting right. If not, read through this guide again and/or look on Youtube for help setting up the Lemon gyro.

6) The last thing to do is adjust the gain dials so it'll be optimal in flight. I will post an image of what my gain dials are at once I get home. This setting is about as high a gain as I could get without getting oscillations. It should be a good (safe) starting point for you to use, but you may need to lower/increase the gains a bit depending on your preferences. If you have an 8ch transmitter, I believe you can use AUX3 on a dial/knob to adjust the gains in-flight. I don't have an 8ch Tx, so I cannot comment or help with this. Just be aware that I think it is a thing you could do.

That's it. You should hopefully have your gyro working with the F-16 w/ flaperons. If you ever see the plane start oscillating in flight, or behaving oddly/unexpectedly, I would try turning the gyro OFF. Either the gyro gains are turned up too high and it's causing the plane to get the jitters, or there's always the possibility that the Lemon stabilizer came off and is bouncing around inside your plane! Toggling the gyro OFF will offer you a failsafe option in case this happens. Just don't forget which switch it is!

If anyone thinks I forgot something important, let me know and I'll add it to the list.
Last edited by Suko; Mar 21, 2018 at 12:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2018, 05:24 PM
aka ShadowVFX
Thread OP
Here's a setup guide for those who own a 6 channel transmitter and still want to use a gyro on this plane. If you have a 7ch or higher radio, see the first post of this blog.

Here’s the short summary: If you have a 6ch radio and have the standard Lemon Stabilizer, you won’t be able to utilize flaperons with this plane (Freewing F-16 V2). If you haven’t purchased a gyro yet, I recommend grabbing the Orange RS3X (simplest option) or get the Lemon Stabilizer PLUS (or Admiral). If you’re not sure what I’m talking about, please see my blog here that covers the different gyros I have used.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...tting-Up-Gyros

So, let’s get started.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First I will cover setup with the standard Lemon Stabilizer. Some of this will be a copy-paste from my other post, since a good chunk of the process is identical. See here for more info/help with this unit: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...first-8-posts-

You can choose to keep or discard the blue box. It's your choice. (Bluebox is specific to the Freewing F-16. If your plane doesn't have this, don't worry.)

1) I have my stabilizer located in the nose of the plane, just a little behind the blue box. My pins are facing forward towards the nose of the plane. Make sure all the dip switches are flipped the correct direction (by default, they should all be switched to the same side - but just make sure).

2) Plug in all the servo leads as normal except for the GEAR. Instead, plug your retract cable into the AUX port on the Lemon receiver.
To recap why we're doing this:
Quote:
The key thing to remember is that the GEAR channel on the Lemon is used to toggle the gyro ON/OFF. If we plugged the retracts into GEAR, then you would be turning the gyro on and off whenever you raised or lowered your gear.
3) Bind the Rx to your Radio and turn up the gain dials on the gyro so you can see/hear the control surfaces moving when you hold the plane. Then test to make sure everything is working right. Make sure the controls are moving the correct directions per your inputs and make sure that the gyro is "correcting" the right direction. Use the dip switches J1,J2,J3 to reverse gyro direction if needed. Also check to make sure the gyro is turning on/off when you flip the GEAR switch on your transmitter. All of this is covered in many Youtube videos and on the links I provided above - so if you get stuck, do some homework and sleep on it and keep at it.

4) Once you got things working right (flight surfaces moving correctly and the gyro corrections moving the right directions): Unplug the battery. Turn off your Tx and turn everything back on and connect the battery to the plane. Test everything again - just to be sure everything is acting right. If not, read through this guide again and/or look on Youtube for help setting up the Lemon gyro.

5) Now that we’re 100% everything is working as intended, the last thing to do is adjust the gain dials so it'll be optimal in flight. See the image below for a good starting point for your gains (for the Freewing F-16 V2). This setting is about as high a gain as I could get without getting oscillations. It should be a good (safe) starting point for you to use, but you may need to lower/increase the gains a bit depending on your preferences.

That’s it. You’re done! You should be able to toggle the gyro on/off with your GEAR switch and the AUX channel on your radio will control the landing gear. If you ever see the plane start oscillating in flight, or behaving oddly/unexpectedly, I would try turning the gyro OFF. Either the gyro gains are turned up too high and it's causing the plane to get the jitters, or there's always the possibility that the Lemon stabilizer came loose and is bouncing around inside your plane! Toggling the gyro OFF will offer you a failsafe option in case this happens. Just don't forget which switch it is!

This completes the instructions for the Lemon Stabilizer setup.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next we’ll cover the Orange RS3X Rx/gyro unit. Note that the steps for this unit and the standalone Orange RS3X gyro are nearly identical. See here for help/setup assistance: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ght-Stabilizer

1) I recommend locating the unit in the nose of the plane, just a little behind the blue box. The direction it’s pointed isn’t critical, but I would suggest the pins facing towards the nose and I’d keep the unit as close to the centerline of the aircraft as possible.

2) Plug in all servo leads as marked. Yes, the retracts do go into the GEAR port on the receiver (unlike the Lemon units).

3) Now bind the Rx to your Radio and check all control movements. Make sure all the controls are moving as they should (ignore the gyro movement for now). Make sure the gear go up/down and everything is working.

4) Now turn up the gain dials on the gyro to max so you can see/hear the control surfaces moving when you hold the plane. Then test to make sure everything is working as intended. Make sure the gyro “corrections” are moving the right directions. For me this is common sense, but see the manual on correct surface movements if you need help.

a. If one of your control surfaces is being adjusted the wrong direction by the gyro, just use the dip switches for AIL, ELEV, RUD to reverse the gyro direction on that control surface. You will also need to go into your transmitter and reverse the servo direction for that control. Example: If my Elevator is working correctly via my stick inputs, but the gyro is going the opposite direction it should, then I would flip the ELEV switch on the Rx unit and then I’d go into the servo setup screen on my Dx6, then I’d go to the REVERSE menu and reverse the elevator. Now test it again and the controls should be moving correctly and the gyro should be compensating in the correct direction.

b. If you continue to have issues, please see the manual and the RCG thread for help getting this setup.

5) The next thing we’ll do is check to make sure the gyro is turning on/off when you flip the AUX switch on your transmitter. Flip the AUX switch on your transmitter and the noise/movement from the gyro should start/stop. If you’re flipping the AUX switch and the gyro isn’t turning off (or on), try flipping the dip switch labeled “AUX CTRL GYRO” on the Orange RS3X. This should enable the option to control the gyro in flight. If it’s still not working, go to the RCG thread and start troubleshooting. Maybe you don’t have the right switch set to AUX or the amount of travel set to AUX isn’t enough. It could be a lot of things, but hopefully yours just worked as I described.

6) Now that everything is moving right and you can toggle the gyro on/off, we need to turn the gain dials to a good starting point. For most aircraft I recommend a starting position of 11 o’clock for AIL, ELEV and RUD. Since you have the gyro on a toggle, you can always kill it in flight if the plane starts to shake and jitter (meaning one of the gain dials are set too high). Each plane is different and it’ll take 2 or 3 flights before you get the gain dials “dialed in”.

a. I recommend making the initial take off with the gyro OFF. Get the plane up to altitude and then flip on the gyro when the plane is flying straight and level.

b. Watch for gyro instability. If your plane starts to rock in-flight, it will USUALLY stop on its own in a few seconds. However, if it gets worse or doesn’t stop, hit the AUX switch to turn off the gyro. You can try to turn the gyro back on and see if it flies stable or not. If you have sever jittering, disable the gyro and leave it off until you land.

c. During flight, what you want to look for is oscillation. If the plane starts to jitter or rock rapidly it means the gain is too high on that control surface. The most common gain jitter is on the ROLL axis (Ailerons). The best way to test this (once you’re comfortable with the plane) is to go up high and put it into a high-speed dive. If you notice the plane jittering, pay attention to which control surface seems to be the issue. Once you land the plane, you will want to turn down that control surface’s gain dial about 1 hr. So if you have it at 11 o’clock, turn it down to 10 o’clock. If the jitter/rocking was sever, then turn it down 2 or 3 hours to be safe.

7) That’s it. Setup is complete. All that’s left is for you to fine-tune the gyro gains to your preferences.

Note: It is possible to have Flaperons setup with the Orange RS3X unit, but doing so will mean that only 1 of the aileron control surfaces will get gyro stabilization. I really don’t recommend this, but others have done it. To do this you will need to flip the dip switch labeled AUX CTRL GYRO so that the gyro is constant-on.
Quote:
Obviously, you want to dial in the gyro gains and do a handful of flights with the gyro unit calibrated before doing this. Otherwise, if you get bad oscillations in flight, there’s no way to kill the gyro and you could lose your plane.
Next, you'll need to fish out the AILERON cables from inside the plane and remove the Y-Lead. (You'll probably need 2 servo extension cables for the aileron leads to reach the Rx). Plug one aileron lead into the AIL port on the Rx and have the other aileron lead go into the AUX port.
Quote:
Ignore the other AIL port on the Orange Rx. For some reason it is reversed and I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone use it for an actual dual-aileron setup.
On your transmitter, setup the model to have Flaperons. This is going to differ depending on which Tx you're using, but on my Dx6 I go to Setup>Aircraft Type>Flaperons. I'd just ask Google how to do that on whatever Tx you are using. Setup Flaperons on your Tx as desired.

That should do it. Test the flaperons and make sure the gyro is moving the surfaces the correct direction. If it’s not working, then I suggest reading the thread I linked to and asking about it there.

I hope this has helped out!

Lastly I’ll briefly cover the Lemon Stabilizer PLUS. This will be VERY brief, because to be honest I haven’t really set one up with a 6ch plane and 6ch radio. I know that it is possible, but for more information you’ll have to go to the actual RCG Discussion here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...first-8-posts-

The setup process for the most part will be similar to the Lemon stabilizer. I will not be going into detail here. Instead, I will tell you to read my post in this thread (Post #1504) and read the next few posts following it.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...thread/page101
In my opinion, this is very confusing and I wish I could help you out more. But IMO Lemon kind of fubar’d the whole idea of the Lemon PLUS unit. The auto-level feature seems to indicate that it’s made for beginners, but most beginners would have a 6ch radio and getting this thing set up with a 6ch radio and a 6ch plane is ridiculously complicated.
Last edited by Suko; Jan 15, 2018 at 07:28 PM.
Jan 11, 2018, 07:08 PM
Bumping in here! I have to try one of these.
Jan 12, 2018, 02:13 AM

no flaperons

you said that: "but the Lemon Stabilizer I reference in this article won't work if you are trying to utilize Flaperons."

but what if i dont need or want that? i still am interested in using the lemon stabilizer receiver with airplanes with a DX6G3
and i also own the plus, so this may help-even if, as you say, dealing with it makes life way more complicated.
thanks
Jan 12, 2018, 11:05 AM
aka ShadowVFX
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez
you said that: "but the Lemon Stabilizer I reference in this article won't work if you are trying to utilize Flaperons."

but what if i dont need or want that? i still am interested in using the lemon stabilizer receiver with airplanes with a DX6G3
and i also own the plus, so this may help-even if, as you say, dealing with it makes life way more complicated.
thanks
I'm in the process of writing up the explanation on how to utilize that. I just haven't finished it yet.
Jan 14, 2018, 08:00 AM

great

thanks. take your time. looking forward for it.
Jan 14, 2018, 11:01 PM
aka ShadowVFX
Thread OP
Quote:
thanks. take your time. looking forward for it.
Here ya go. I hope this helps.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...48&postcount=2
Jan 15, 2018, 04:28 PM

details

thanks.
am using the lemon stab.
i have these questions:
1- you said that: "You can choose to keep or discard the blue box. It's your choice."
what is the blue box? the box where the receiver is in?
2-i dont have flaps or retracts. just taer, but still would like to have an extra channel for another function (besides this that you mentioned to go on gear for turning the stab on/off).
so i need to activate the stab (ch 5 or 6?) and still have access to the other left. sound o k?
Jan 15, 2018, 04:35 PM
aka ShadowVFX
Thread OP
Quote:
thanks.
am using the lemon stab.
i have these questions:
1- you said that: "You can choose to keep or discard the blue box. It's your choice."
what is the blue box? the box where the receiver is in?
2-i dont have flaps or retracts. just taer, but still would like to have an extra channel for another function (besides this that you mentioned to go on gear for turning the stab on/off).
so i need to activate the stab (ch 5 or 6?) and still have access to the other left. sound o k?
The blue box is specific to the Freewing F-16 V2 (which is what this blog is specifically made for). If your plane doesn't have the blue box, don't worry about it.

I can't say I completely understood your second question. However, if your plane doesn't have Flaps or Retracts, then just leave the GEAR port empty and you can plug whatever you want into the AUX port. Just remember that whatever switch you have your GEAR channel assigned to on your Tx will toggle the gyro on/off.
Jan 15, 2018, 06:52 PM

great

thank you. you answered both questions well.
regards

Quick Reply