May 06, 2018, 10:32 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Thanks Curtis for posting the Gliderscore.com scoring link in post #56 above. I just pushed one correction up to the GS server. You can follow tomorrow round-by-round from that link. Don't forget: the standings do not take into account any discard yet. When that happens tomorrow after R5 standings will change.

The forecast held true with gusty high winds calling an end to the day's flights. Monday looks mucho better. If we get 4 more rounds in there will be flyoffs.

I will say one thing about the wind that came up in the 4th round: it was indeed brutal. Several very good pilots got caught w-a-y downwind, and I do mean w-a-a-y downwind.

More tomorrow.
Chris
to remove ads between posts
May 07, 2018, 08:44 PM
Tragic case
Looks like the finals results were a bit different to the flyoffs. Big weekend for comps this last week I think the Wilga Cup in the Ukraine, a big comp in Croatia and one in Germany.

it does seem that at the moment comp final outcomes are, dare i say, a bit hit and miss. 3 final rounds often held later in the afternoon allows for more random variation that 7-12 preliminary rounds.

In a tight contest if the wind comes up suddenly, it looks like you have to be on your toes. I was at a comp like that in Australia earlier this year. Last round the wind came up at about the 5 minute mark. In that heat some models were caught down wind and landed out, another model landed in a tree ....
May 07, 2018, 09:09 PM
Team Futaba
It was more than just wind. There was an abundance of "Hand Of God" sink. Not just sink between thermals, but sink EVERYWHERE. Big names and nobodies all succumbed at one time or another!!
May 07, 2018, 10:21 PM
Fantastic time, thanks everyone! Charlie and I are on our way back to Phoenix, and I thought Iíd post some pictures. I didnít get as many as usual but sure had fun flying with you all! Big thanks to everyone who made this venue work. A huge grass field with no trees is like a paradise to me. As often happens with these contests, it was good to see old friends and make new ones.

Myra :-)
May 07, 2018, 11:34 PM
Team Hello Kitty

Qualifying round scores

Much to report and many to thank but first things first. Below are the qualifying round results. Pilots flew in 4 groups on 12 primary lanes + 2 reflight lanes. On day 1 we got 4 rounds in until winds ended the day. Then today we flew 4 more rounds for 8 total. 11 pilots made the flyoffs.

Congrats to the top qualifying round pilots who made it into the flyoffs:

1 - Scolari, Mario - 6953
2 - Miller, Skip - 6824
3 - Morris, Charles - 6773
4 - Padilla, Jon - 6696
5 - Burson, Robert - 6659
6 - Smith, Mike - 6490
7 - Keer, Lenny - 6388
8 - Ormsbee, Bowdie - 6178
9 - Armstrong, John - 6078
10 - Rizor, Justin - 5948
11 - Martin, Bruce - 5825

F5J USA Tour standings will be updated with these results in several days. More soon.
Chris
Last edited by SoaringDude; May 08, 2018 at 09:39 AM.
May 07, 2018, 11:48 PM
Team Hello Kitty

F5J in Vegas Flyoff scores

Below are the flyoff round results. 11 pilots flew 3 flyoff rounds with a 5 minute prep time. Congrats to the top 5 flyoff winners who went home with the "hardware" :

1 - Smith, Mike - 2467
2 - Morris, Charles - 1986
3 - Armstrong, John - 1943
4 - Ormsbee, Bowdie - 1927
5 - Keer, Lenny - 1174

It is a profound understatement to say the conditions were challenging. I saw some of the gutsiest runs to lift that I have ever seen in USA F5J. This event was quite a show. Our guys will be ready for the Team Selects in Sept.
May 08, 2018, 01:29 AM
Team Hello Kitty

Lowest launch awards

In addition to the flyoffs awards we also recognized the lowest productive qualifying round launch for day 1 and day 2 i.e. a launch that resulted in a full round time. Winners are:

Day 1: Mario Scolari - 19 meters (round 2)

Day 2: Toby Herrera - 22 meters (round 6)

Note: In the pilot's meeting I announced the winners with the caveat that I had to scan the rounds quickly for the lowest launches. Turns out I mistakenly announced the Day 2 low launch so I will be mailing an award to Toby Herrera asap (sorry Toby!).
May 08, 2018, 01:55 PM
Nice pictures, Myra! Was that your Radian I saw? Really made me wish I’d gone to see and fly with everyone.

Congratulations to everyone and especially our Rocky Mtn Soaring Assn. flyers!
May 08, 2018, 10:33 PM
bwwwwaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe W
Looking through the scoresheet, there were some interesting rounds. That last heat looked brutal!

Mario is averaging less than 50m launch height on his four rounds. Which is around half (or less) of what anyone else is doing. I've been in a car when he drives... evidently he flies just like he drives!
May 08, 2018, 10:44 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Lowest launches don't ALWAYS win

Ps edit : in fact,,it's usually the smartest launch height that wins
May 08, 2018, 11:06 PM
Where is the lift?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74
Lowest launches don't ALWAYS win

Ps edit : in fact,,it's usually the smartest launch height that wins
Mario did extremely well (or got extremely lucky) in estimating launch height during the prelims.
The contest was called just as the weather changed dramatically on Sunday and as it turns out, the flyoffs were held in very similar weather on Monday. I had an advantage as I had flown a couple flights in the windy weather during the pause in the contest on Sunday while they evaluated the conditions. I formed my strategy based on that practice flying.
I canít say it was a winning strategy but I feel it helped.

Charlie
May 08, 2018, 11:48 PM
Team Futaba
You need to change your name to Captain CRUSH after the pounding you gave the rest of your last flight group!!!! That little testing session paid off nicely!!
May 09, 2018, 12:14 AM
Definitely lucky Charlie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy
Mario did extremely well (or got extremely lucky) in estimating launch height during the prelims.
The contest was called just as the weather changed dramatically on Sunday and as it turns out, the flyoffs were held in very similar weather on Monday. I had an advantage as I had flown a couple flights in the windy weather during the pause in the contest on Sunday while they evaluated the conditions. I formed my strategy based on that practice flying.
I canít say it was a winning strategy but I feel it helped.

Charlie
May 09, 2018, 12:53 AM
A few comments I would like to make:
Big thanks to Jim Monaco. The site is truly spectacular. Weather was amazing as it truly tested everyoneís ability and equipment.
Big thanks to Chris for a contest well run. I was impressed as to how clear the pilotís meetings were and how flawlessly the 5J contest was run. My only negative comment is that day 1ís suspension should not have happened. We should have waited an hour or two and continue the competition. After all, that is what we were all there for. Conditions were not anywhere near FAI limits and if we were in europe, the contest would have continued. Most Pilots in the US are not used to flying in windy conditions and having a competition with some wind should be seeing as an opportunity to improve all of our skills.

As for the results of the prelims, my airplaneís weight and motor power were perfect for the conditions we had. Early morning flights had the typical low height thermals that kicked in very early in the morning, my gliders Plus and Maxa were perfect for these conditions. When the day got stronger, it really didnt matter what I flew as anything would go up. Overall, the equipment was perfect for the conditions. My only issue was my motor not having the punch to climb like a rocket in very windy conditions.
For the fly offs I got lucky in round 1 as I was able to get out with a low launch. I took the plane to well over 1800ft in about 5min and I pretty much lost it all in less than 7 minutes. I was scratching in a tight little thermal with my buddy Mike Smith with 2 minutes to go. Very technical conditions.
For round 2 and 3, things got worse and more windy and I continued to push upwind but could not climb above 150 meters when conditions really required to go to over 200 meters.
I think the results of the Fly offs are the result of the best pilot with the best equipment for the task. Mike was flying a Vixen and Charly a Supra, both flew very well and executed their strategies flawlessly. Mike showed his pedigree as he was handicaped by the power of his motor not giving him rocket launch but still manage to win. Great Job Mike and Charlie.
May 09, 2018, 01:52 AM
Team Hello Kitty

A few important thank you's

Co-CD Greg Douglas - When Greg offered to be my co-CD for this event I felt lucky. Greg has invested lots of time in F5J and I knew he would be a major help on our Vegas team. Greg went to extra trouble for this comp and brought another GliderScore wireless timer display with him that allowed us to display the master clock in the pits area. Thank you Greg, you were a very big reason why this event went smoothly and started on time both days.

Jim Monaco and John Lovins - This event would not have happened without tons of work from both of these gentlemen. And I especially have to thank Jim for his wisdom and guidance that paved the way for a smooth-running event. I tapped his experience multiple times during the event. And Jim's Internet access setup for our scoring system worked without a single hiccup! Ditto on his FM transmitter for our wireless audio.

Doug Bush - Doug is a Nevada local who helped us last year in a big way. He came back again this year and was a big help again running the golf cart and helping with setup, teardown, and much more. Thanks Doug!!

John Armstrong - John stepped up and loaned the use of his super quiet Honda generator. Worked like a champ, John, thanks much.

Rick Johnston
- Thank you Rick for once again letting us use some of your radios for the sound system. We had enough radios for the full flight line, the CD tent, and multiple places in the pits.

Sponsor FlightComp/Ali Khani - Thank you Ali for all the awesome F5J t-shirts--they went fast.

Sponsor Tailwind Gliders/Curtis Suter - Thanks Curtis for the great soaring video DVDs, much appreciated.

Gerry Carter, developer of GliderScore
- Gerry has created an amazingly functional all-in-one scoring system for F5J. A year ago the GliderScore smartphone scoring was very new and did its job but not without some occasional special "attention." This year the G.S. system worked flawlessly for both the qual and flyoff rounds. The contest automation ran the clocks and audio announcements while accumulating the smartphone and community laptop scores. Thank you Gerry! Every club should be using G.S. for F5J.

Thanks again, all.
Chris

Quick Reply