Apr 28, 2018, 05:53 PM
Original Bloody Spadder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Older iPhones generally require a QR code reader of some type. I am still in the middle ages iPhone-wise and my 6 needed a reader. Newer iPhones do not need a dedicated reader.
Bill one of the latest update allows you to just take a picture and it opens the website
Pretty cool for multiple entries
to remove ads between posts
Apr 29, 2018, 01:33 AM
Team Futaba
Cool. I just use the QR reader. Mine is fully updated so I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for the update!!

Just tried it. Worked like a charm!! Thanks John.
Apr 29, 2018, 08:41 AM
For those without QR Code readers you can also get to any pilots scorecard using the following link:

http://f3xevents.com/vegasLinks.htm

Just click on the link for the pilot you need to enter scores for...

Jim
Apr 29, 2018, 09:34 AM
Original Bloody Spadder
Thatís nice. Jim. Easy
Apr 30, 2018, 01:09 PM
Dark Side of the Red Merle
I've flown about three rounds or so in F5J and I would like some clarification as a timer.

I realize the pilot can't start the motor till the window starts and that the timer starts the watch when the model leaves the throwers hands. What about the countdown? It seems to me that I should ignore the watch in my hand and only stop that the time on one of two occasions, whichever comes first.
1) When the model touches anything attached to the ground.
2) When the window end buzzer sounds whether the plane is in the air or not.

Example: It's a 15 minute flyoff round and the air is horrible, no one is making their time. So when the launch buzzer sounds I stand there as everyone else launches. 19 seconds later I launch and as they found all the sink and land early I go to the other part of the field and find lift and ride out my time. However, I can't count down a 15 minute flight on my watch as the window will end before that and the pilot would lose his/hers landing points. So I MUST count the pilot down using the master window clock and stop the watch in either of the points above whichever comes first.

Is this how the experts are counting down for their pilots, using the master window clock?

Thanks
Curtis
Apr 30, 2018, 01:14 PM
Where is the lift?
You bring up an early interesting point Curtis. I don’t think you’re allowed to wait to launch. Other than that your post seems accurate.

I’ll need to re-read the rules on that one.

Charlie
Apr 30, 2018, 01:22 PM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
Thread OP
Hi Curtis and Charlie,

It is okay to delay your launch, you just sacrifice 1 point per second if you do. You have it correct regarding when to start and stop the timer's watch. During the last minute most timers are looking at the LED clock as they report the time to the pilot down to 30 seconds; at 30sec the automated countdown audio is every second so the timers don't need to speak the time after that.

The strategy you mention for launching late in bad air is sometimes a smart approach. In a European video by Jure Pecar last Fall I saw a very good pilot delaying his flyoffs launch by about a minute in horrible conditions for the reason you describe. This isn't done very often but it is an option. I sometimes delay a few seconds if I want to go downwind.

Chris
Apr 30, 2018, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy
You bring up an early interesting point Curtis. I donít think youíre allowed to wait to launch. Other than that your post seems accurate.

Iíll need to re-read the rules on that one.

Charlie
You certainly are allowed to wait! Certainly part of the strategy if you think no one will get their time... Do you feel lucky punk?

In most window events (like F3J) the timer runs a second countdown watch to keep track of the window time. There are not always great countdowns - but it is required to have a countdown for the last 10 seconds and a horn that indicates the end of the window. For this event there will be audio countdowns and LED clocks you should be able to see marking the end of the window.

When the horn for the end of the window sounds the time stops.
Jim
Apr 30, 2018, 01:28 PM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
Thread OP
Thanks Jim, I launched first with my post
Apr 30, 2018, 01:30 PM
Camber down and screw it up.
Your timer shouldn't have to count down to the end of the working time window. There is a wireless radio system with a speaker on every other flight lane, and "Ms. Gliderscore" does an excellent job of counting down the time to the end of the window. You (as a pilot) just need to make sure you land before the START of the horn. If you are in the air when the horn sounds, you get zero landing points.

--
Greg
Apr 30, 2018, 01:32 PM
Where is the lift?
Thanks guys for the clarification.

Charlie
Apr 30, 2018, 01:34 PM
Camber down and screw it up.
Or DO you ? CD quiz:

What if you touch a wingtip (to stop the clock), at, say.. 9:59, but continue flying for a few seconds. During that time you're in the air, the end of working time horn sounds, and you land 2 seconds after the end of the horn.

Do you still get landing points? You were in the air when the horn sounded.

(I know the answer to this but want to see what others say).

--
Greg
Apr 30, 2018, 01:38 PM
Where is the lift?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdouglas
Your timer shouldn't have to count down to the end of the working time window. There is a wireless radio system with a speaker on every other flight lane, and "Ms. Gliderscore" does an excellent job of counting down the time to the end of the window. You (as a pilot) just need to make sure you land before the START of the horn. If you are in the air when the horn sounds, you get zero landing points.

--
Greg
This requires a slight clarification also. If you are in the air when the horn sounds...
Iíve been too far from my landing spot several times and have brushed the grass with my tail or wing tip before the landing horn and continued in for a landing that scored landing points after the landing horn sounded. This was in desperation but it was successful and I do not remember seeing anything in the rules as written preventing it.
Thoughts?

Charlie
Apr 30, 2018, 02:05 PM
Just an earth-bound misfit, I
Quote:

--
Greg
Chris, Jim or CD,

If the automated timer malfunctions how do you want to handled this? This has happened more than a few times in F5J and F3J...

In F3J, timers usually keep a window clock for just such an emergency so a reflight is NOT granted due to organizer clock malfunction.

Also, if this is the case, does the F5J provide a sync countdown at 2 minutes before working time starts to snyc the working time.

Thanks for the response.

JP
Apr 30, 2018, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Or DO you ? CD quiz:

What if you touch a wingtip (to stop the clock), at, say.. 9:59, but continue flying for a few seconds. During that time you're in the air, the end of working time horn sounds, and you land 2 seconds after the end of the horn.

Do you still get landing points? You were in the air when the horn sounded.

(I know the answer to this but want to see what others say).

--
Greg
The time stops at contact with a ground based object, so you are not overflying the window and the flight and landing points count.

Quick Reply