Apr 23, 2018, 09:47 AM
Dark Side of the Red Merle

Red Merle V (Supra) For Sale

I'm selling a wonderful ALES/F5J model that is Ready to Fly!
Add receiver, battery and altitude limiter and you're ready to go!

This is my Red Merle ALES V which is a Supra scratch build.

She's 3.5m (136"), 1675g (59oz) and totally scratch built.
The Pod is fiberglass with some carbon reinforcements. It's 2.4G safe. I fly Futaba and never had a problem. Servos in the wings are JR DS368BB's in homemade CNC plywood frames. The tail servos are Hyperion DS11 AMB's. I didn't remove the motor to verify the KV but it's a Hyperion motor with a Kontronik gearbox. The speed controller is a Castle Edge Lite 50. It has a 16x8 prop. All the hinges are silicone. There are some very minor finger dents along the wing and tail surfaces. They could possibly be steamed out if done carefully. There is some Orange Peel in the paint on the center panel of the wing.

Not included is a 3S battery, Altitude limiter or receiver. The receiver is negotiable. It's a Futaba FASST compatible FrSky 7channel.

Here is a video I made of the model so you can get a closer look.
Red Merle ALES V Two Dog For Sale (3 min 25 sec)

I'm currently not shipping but she's available for pickup at the F3J/F5J event in Vegas on the 5th through the 7th of May.

First flight information is available here as well as the build in the posts prior to this….
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ALES%29/page84 - post31767302

Asking $900 delivered to Vegas.

Curtis Suter
Tailwind Gliders
to remove ads between posts
Apr 23, 2018, 09:57 AM
E sailplane thermal hack
Your letting TWO Dog go???!!!!! Nooooooo!! ;-)
Apr 23, 2018, 01:50 PM

Sandy Valley Weather

Jim found a weather station at the school in Sandy Valley. Don't want to jinks it but look here
https://www.weatherbug.com/weather-f...alley-nv-89019
Apr 23, 2018, 04:00 PM
Team Futaba
Don't worry about jinxing anything. Remember, it is bad luck to be superstitious!!
Apr 25, 2018, 10:08 PM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
Thread OP

Field layout details

Getting down to the wire, hope all who are coming are getting excited + ready. The PDF below shows the field layout we will be using. Note a few changes from the original plan: we will still be using a split flight line with the CD tents in the middle like last year but this time we will be using 12 lanes and 4 groups. Note in the diagram the 2 "extra" lanes will only be used as reflight lanes.

Another change, this one for enhanced safety: the pits area will be off to the side instead of in the middle. FYI this is how most of the larger European F5J events are laid out (thanks Ali Khani for feedback on this). This means longer walks if your assigned lane is on the far side. We will be watching to see if the 7-min prep time interval is long enough.
The LED clock that is facing toward the pits area will be using wide angle LEDs that will make it easier to see the clock from at least some areas in the pits.

By the way because we do expect wind we will be using the 1 minute overfly timer announcement following the end of the working time. If your plane is still not on the ground when the 1-min overfly tone sounds you get a zero flight per FAI rules.

FYI I plan to post the pilot matrix on Friday.

Any questions let us know!
Chris
Apr 25, 2018, 11:19 PM
Team Futaba
Will there be elderly assist personnel there for us old guys who get a distant lane??
Apr 25, 2018, 11:33 PM
Thread OP
Haha nice idea Bill.
Apr 26, 2018, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Will there be elderly assist personnel there for us old guys who get a distant lane??
YES!
We will have a golf cart available for use by those that really need assistance. Not to be abused by the fit however...

Jim
Apr 26, 2018, 08:17 AM
Team Futaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsoars
YES!
We will have a golf cart available for use by those that really need assistance. Not to be abused by the fit however...

Jim
Define "fit"
Apr 26, 2018, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Define "fit"
Walks more than one lane without stopping to breathe...

Jim
Apr 27, 2018, 05:36 PM
Thread OP

Can you GliderScore ?

We will again be using the GliderScore smartphone scoring system in Vegas. If you don't have a phone your timing buddies can still enter your scores on their phones. Or, you can always use the community laptops that will be set up on a table under the CD tents. One cool benefit of using your phone for this is that you can quickly view the standings after each round.

This post is to give you a chance to test your phone with the GS system before the contest. I just created a test F5J comp with 12 pilots in 2 groups. Below are 2 PDFs: a printout of all the scorecards and a printout of the draw (pilot matrix).

Before you try the scoring system you have to install a QR Code Reader on your phone. For Android phones I recommend QR Droid--it's free and easy to use. If you have an iPhone you can search the Apple store and pick a free one (maybe someone can suggest their favorite). Be aware some free apps have annoying ads so you may need to try a few until you find one you like.

Each scorecard has a QR code in the upper L.H. corner. With your smartphone start your QR Code reader app then scan any of the scorecards on your screen. Within seconds you should see a scoring screen pop up for the pilot card you scanned. Feel free to enter scores for any pilots and rounds. Once a score is entered using your smartphone you cannot change it yourself--you have to ask the CD/scorekeeper to do that.

If you have any questions post them here. FYI I'll be posting the pilot matrix as soon as I get final confirmation from a few more pilots.

Thanks much.
Chris Bajorek, Greg Douglas (co-CDs)
Apr 28, 2018, 12:37 AM
Thread OP

Pilot matrix

Below is the pilot matrix for the qualifying rounds, 44 pilots total. We are flying 4 groups on 12 lanes with 2 extra reflight lanes. Our goal is 8 rounds on day 1, 4 on day 2, 12 total. Lane numbers are randomly assigned. In recognition of the fact that the pits will result in some longer walks the draw is generated with NO back-to-back rounds for a given pilot. This does not mean that your preferred timer won't have a flight immediately following yours.

We have filled out the 4th group with "dummy" pilots that can be renamed for late entries or removed later.

Note that the co-CDs (me, Greg Douglas) + Jim Monaco are set with frequency "35" so the matrix only has 1 of us flying at a time.

Any questions let me know!
Chris
Apr 28, 2018, 12:41 AM
Team Futaba
What a shock, a shock I tell you.
Round 1 - Group 1. NEVER fails!!!!!!!
Apr 28, 2018, 08:34 AM
Dark Side of the Red Merle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringDude

If you have an iPhone you can search the Apple store and pick a free one (maybe someone can suggest their favorite). Be aware some free apps have annoying ads so you may need to try a few until you find one you like.
For the iPhone folks just point your camera at it.
You'll see a small window pop up at the top asking you if you want to open the page. Tap it and there you go!
Curtis
Apr 28, 2018, 10:18 AM
Team Futaba
Older iPhones generally require a QR code reader of some type. I am still in the middle ages iPhone-wise and my 6 needed a reader. Newer iPhones do not need a dedicated reader.

Quick Reply