Why was the Hobbico thread moved??!!?? - RC Groups
Jan 11, 2018, 01:10 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Discussion

Why was the Hobbico thread moved??!!??

Come on, this directly affects many of us who get materials from Tower Hobbies, and it's perfectly appropriate for discussion in Dock Talk.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2018, 01:32 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
You didn't use the word boat, or show a photo of a boat...

And moderators think that the model boat community reads topics outside of BOATS.
Jan 11, 2018, 02:15 PM
Maybe if we talk about how it will affect our boating hobby it'll be on-topic enough.

Andy
Jan 11, 2018, 03:26 PM
I looked at the Dumas boats on Tower. They only have two kits in stock. The rest are all on order or pending or due mid Jan. This might explain it.
Jan 11, 2018, 03:56 PM
We don't have any Dumas boat stock either. All the wood boat kits have been discontinued due to lack of sales.

I think niche market products like boats are probably going to be best served by direct-to-consumer sales in the future. What I really miss are magazines like Flying Models that catered to the niche market companies so well. How are small guys going to advertise in the future? When I was RC-Hydros.com I really did benefit from advertising in RCBM.

Aside from word of mouth, how can small guys get the word out?

Andy
Jan 11, 2018, 04:08 PM
Steps? What steps?
How will companies like AquaCraft market their products? I donít know for certain, but I would guess that sales through Hobbico were a sizable percentage. Isnít Futaba a Hobbico company? IIRC they were close to receivership when Hobbico took over. The impact of losing Hobbico could be huge for boats, I certainly hope that they come through okay.

Andy, how has this impacted staffing?

Jan 11, 2018, 04:54 PM
Submarines, etc.
i asked Pat's OP question in the site suggestions / complaints section... if you want to pile on there, it might help...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...s#post38968449
Jan 11, 2018, 05:14 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Hobbico has filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy so that's not good. I don't know how that is going to affect the rest of Tower Hobbies. They have a lot of unpaid bills that are more than 90 days past due.
Jan 11, 2018, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zozer
How will companies like AquaCraft market their products?
AquaCraft is a brand name, not a company.

Quote:
Isnít Futaba a Hobbico company?
No, they're a separate, independent company based in Japan. Futaba is a major electronics manufacturer over there. The hobby products are a sideline.

Quote:
Andy, how has this impacted staffing?
We're hiring! We need to staff up a few positions here to meet the demand for new products. The iX12 release makes this even more important (and obvious).

Well, if they completely fold I'm sure we at Horizon will be picking some of their top talent to work here for us.

I'm very much hoping that that doesn't happen. I have friends and neighbors there in Marketing, Consumer Sales, Manufacturing, and Product Development. I wouldn't want any of them to be out of a job. They're just Average Joes like you and me, good people.

Andy
Jan 11, 2018, 06:49 PM
Just Plane Nutts
It's pretty obvious why Hobbico is failing:

"In its filing with the United States Bankruptcy Court in Delaware, Hobbico said it has an estimated 200 to 999 creditors, $10 to $50 million in assets, and $100 to $500 million in liabilities."

Can't continue business very long like that. Brick & Mortar hobby shops aren't the only ones struggling. Maybe if we stop allowing kids under 18 (or at least 14) to have smart phones and only let them have regular phones for parent/child contact reasons so that they can have a chance to develop their minds, the kids will take interest in other things and will give the hobby industry a badly-needed shot in the arm. Right now fewer kids want to learn how to make things or play outdoors because they have the internet/Facebook/texting/videogames/whatever to distract their attention and influence their growth....or lack of. Some control of the whole phone-addiction situation among our young is required ASAP.

OH, and......BOATS ARE FUN. (where did the other thread get relocated to?)
Jan 11, 2018, 07:23 PM
Mmm, tugs...
And my granddad would complain- "Kids these days, they're addicted to those dagnabbed automobiles! They go out at all hours to hang with their friends, or go into town to get a JOB! How'm I going keep them on the farm with all that excitement going on! Why, kids these days can't shoe a horse or hew a log to build a new barn- they're clueless, I tell'ye!"

Jan 11, 2018, 08:39 PM
Just Plane Nutts
By the time they can legally drive a car, let 'em have a phone. It's children with empty minds that need filling with the right stuff I'm concerned about.
Jan 12, 2018, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
By the time they can legally drive a car, let 'em have a phone. It's children with empty minds that need filling with the right stuff I'm concerned about.
This kinda speaks to AirDog's point...
Jan 12, 2018, 04:37 AM
most exalted one
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
It's pretty obvious why Hobbico is failing:

"In its filing with the United States Bankruptcy Court in Delaware, Hobbico said it has an estimated 200 to 999 creditors, $10 to $50 million in assets, and $100 to $500 million in liabilities."

Can't continue business very long like that. Brick & Mortar hobby shops aren't the only ones struggling. Maybe if we stop allowing kids under 18 (or at least 14) to have smart phones and only let them have regular phones for parent/child contact reasons so that they can have a chance to develop their minds, the kids will take interest in other things and will give the hobby industry a badly-needed shot in the arm. Right now fewer kids want to learn how to make things or play outdoors because they have the internet/Facebook/texting/videogames/whatever to distract their attention and influence their growth....or lack of. Some control of the whole phone-addiction situation among our young is required ASAP.

OH, and......BOATS ARE FUN. (where did the other thread get relocated to?)

Please take a look at page 3 of this form that has checkboxes on it. It is a preprinted form and not the real numbers. The newspapers and reporters are so ignorant.

http://www.uscourts.gov/sites/defaul...form_b_201.pdf

NOT just KIDS. I was driving down a rural/residential narrow paved road, snow on both sides,, at dusk, and this 40+ women is walking down the road towards me in the middle of my lane, no street lights, and she is concentrating on her phone. I went around her and she did not even look up!!!!!!!!!! Might have been eliminated from the gene pool but I saw her in time.
Jan 12, 2018, 08:01 AM
The handwriting was on the wall some time ago with the law suits brought against HOBBYCO, the umbrella for GREAT PLANES, and TOWER HOBBIES, due to patent infringement.

There is a rumor that they have a interested buyer but only after the reorganization takes place and changes made.

Quick Reply