Yuneec Firebird FPV - RC Groups

Yuneec Firebird FPV

Yuneec's first FPV plane balances flight time and video quality with transmission distances in a $700 foam package.

Yuneec Firebird FPV

HD Video Link and 4K Recording

Yuneec dives head first into the fixed-wing fpv market with the Firebird FPV. On display at CES 2018 and now on the Yuneec website, the Firebird has a number of features that set it apart from more traditional FPV aircraft. The Firebird FPV comes with a 117-degree 13MP HD video camera that has an onboard servo-driven pan system for 40-degree side to side movement.

The camera broadcasts in HD to a smart phone, and records in UHD at 4k. Range of the video transmission is said to be around 500 meters, or about .3 of a mile. Given it's relatively short transmission distance when compared to other fixed-wing FPV offerings, the Firebird FPV mitigates any issues related to signal lost with three different flight modes as well as return to home, loiter, geo-fence, safety floor (minimum altitude limits), and even auto-landing functionality. The cost of the Firebird FPV is said to be around $700.

CLICK HERE for more info on the Yuneec Firebird FPV.

Features:

• First Person View experience
  • Digital, low-latency HD video link
  • For beginners and professionals
  • Diverse GPS functions such as Return Home, Auto Landing, Geo Fence and Safety Floor
  • 4K video recording
  • Firebird App incl. telemetry data such as battery indicator, speed, height, etc.
  • Camera settings configurable via app
  • Instant Social Media sharing
  • Smart 3S 2800mAh LiPo battery
  • Up to 30 min. flight time
  • Fast assembly
  • Demountable for easy transport
  • Transmitter and FPV headset included (smartphone with Firebird app needed separately)

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Jan 11, 2018 at 02:00 PM..
Jan 11, 2018, 07:36 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
....hhhmmmmmm
Its a start

P.S.
for now ill use my MAVIC Platnm on "Fixed-Wing"
mode via Goggle-RE amd reach 7km+

CES 2018 - YUNEEC FireBird FPV (6 min 52 sec)
Jan 12, 2018, 01:18 AM
Don't forget to trim rudder!
Why does it have to look like other FPV planes? Why not something that look nice like a Cessna, Pipstrel Panthera, Virus or Long EZ if it has to be a pusher. Would have bridged nicely with the RC crowd. Mike who I think worked with Horizon should have push for something that looked nicer ( more scale). Sacrificing a few minutes of flight time for looks is a good trade off in my opinion.
Last edited by turbinefancy; Jan 12, 2018 at 01:34 AM.
Jan 12, 2018, 01:26 AM
fools? at least i'm honest :)
now parrot disco get a new challenge, i bet disco will drop their price if they seeing this
no information for Autonomous capabilities Flight yet?
Jan 12, 2018, 04:37 AM
I dunno. I think it looks really cool actually. I'll never buy one because the video range is ridiculous, especially for a fixed wing, and the price is absolutely insane for what you get, but yeah, I think it looks good

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbinefancy
Why does it have to look like other FPV planes? Why not something that look nice like a Cessna, Pipstrel Panthera, Virus or Long EZ if it has to be a pusher. Would have bridged nicely with the RC crowd. Mike who I think worked with Horizon should have push for something that looked nicer ( more scale). Sacrificing a few minutes of flight time for looks is a good trade off in my opinion.
Jan 14, 2018, 07:52 PM
Launch the drones ...
Add stabilized video, and 60 min flight times ... and they’d have a product. Useful for loitering over nearby events.
Jan 14, 2018, 09:48 PM
FPV IT
I can see Yuneec designers sitting around trying to figure out how to beat DJI. Then someone shouts out they aren't building fixed wing. Wow la the Firebird is born....
Jan 14, 2018, 09:52 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Yuneec,
put better far reaching HD-antenna's and you'll up your distance....

for a fixed-wing, it should atleast go as far as your RC Tx!
(it has RTH home for safety, so do it!).
Just sayin'
Jan 14, 2018, 10:07 PM
FPV IT
No true FPV'er would be buying this. Almost all of us build our own custom planes using Eagle Tree, UHF and 1.3ghz ect. ect....

This is going to be for the noobs and there probably better off keeping it short on range. How many people do you know that own a DJI or Yuneec "drone" and think there an rc pilot having never touched a fixed wing. Heck I have a Phantom 4 an it could just about fly it self. Pretty much anyone that flies fixed wing can pilot a multirotor with ease. But the other way around not so much so. These will be sold right along side the Typhoon in Best Buy and you know some guy is gonna say I fly the Typhoon this will be easy.

I give them props though. There showing there still in the game.
Jan 14, 2018, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMZILLA
No true FPV'er would be buying this. Almost all of us build our own custom planes using Eagle Tree, UHF and 1.3ghz ect. ect....

This is going to be for the noobs and there probably better off keeping it short on range. How many people do you know that own a DJI or Yuneec "drone" and think there an rc pilot having never touched a fixed wing. Heck I have a Phantom 4 an it could just about fly it self. Pretty much anyone that flies fixed wing can pilot a multirotor with ease. But the other way around not so much so. These will be sold right along side the Typhoon in Best Buy and you know some guy is gonna say I fly the Typhoon this will be easy.

I give them props though. There showing there still in the game.
Very true!
Anyone can build a long range fixed wing that can go 20mi. for half the price.
Jan 15, 2018, 06:35 PM
MK
MK
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMZILLA
Pretty much anyone that flies fixed wing can pilot a multirotor with ease. But the other way around not so much so.
So true!!!! But not everyone out there is that wise.
Yesterday, 09:27 AM
Thelongranger
What a piece of junk.
Yesterday, 10:44 AM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltapilot
What a piece of junk.
I respectfully disagree, and not because I wrote the story! It has some cool features for a prebuilt: long flight time, panning camera, and HD feed and recording. It has fly by wire, loiter, and return to home. I know the flight controller is not as robust or customizeable as the EagleTree Vector, but it does have those features. The only thing I dont like about it is the video transmission range. I'm using the Connex Prosight with the VAS Genesis array and getting well over a mile on my Stratosurfer, so medium-distance HD can easily be achieved with the right antennas. I wish Yuneec had gone this route as .3 of a mile is just not going to cut it. IMO, it's not a piece of junk, but rather a well designed plane that lacks the proper antennas for acceptable video transmission.
Yesterday, 11:03 AM
FPV IT
Zackly. Even if its not for me I wouldn't call it junk. Its a great platform to get beginner started in the right direction. They just need to bring the price down some and increase range. Who knows some day I may walk in Best Buy and see an open box for a huge discount. Then I may have to ad it to my fleet.

I'm really digging the looks though. Its far better looking then any of my fleet. It's got no gps, vtx, cameras or wires hanging off it like mine and most of our long rangers.
Yesterday, 02:14 PM
fly by night
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbinefancy
those planes when scaled down become highly inefficient/heavy. FPV planes are just a better tool for the job of video piloting. And I say that as a pilot who loves to do scale FPV cockpit in scale planes from time to time - those planes all suck for endurance and feel too heavy on the sticks, fragile upon hard landings. oh and they require a runway too. Only exception is something like a Precision Aerobatics planes, which are not exactly scale either.

Quick Reply