Jan 10, 2018, 05:21 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Autonomous paramotor (Opale Hybrid 5.2)

So I bought a wing from Opale almost 3 years ago, planning to build a cool camera
platform but unfortunately I did not find the time to actually build it. Untill now
that is! I decided with the new year that it is time to get this project started and
share my experiences along the way.

In a nutshell the goal:
"having a paramotor fly autonomous with a camera/gimbal attached for endurance flights"

So why a paramotor? There are a few reasons that inspired me:
- "cheap" for the size and payload capability
- Really compact when in storage or during transport
- Silent (well at least in comparison to multicopters)
- Efficient, there is not a lot of power needed compared to
multicopters (planes can be more efficient but also more
expensive and a lot bulkier in storage and during transport)

So the wing I bought back then is an Opale FOX RS 2.6:

This wing can be flown with winds up to 20 knots and 7 kg payload (please note that
this is in optimal conditions and according to the manufacturer)

About a year ago I made a concept of what the propulsion unit (or trike/backpack) could
look like. Here is a quick render I made of that:

There are a lot of things that I will change to this concept, the main changes are:
- Riser mounting points will be adjustable for easy CG adjustments
- Gimbal will become retractable (this will make it less likely
that it will be damaged during landings)
- The flightcontroller will be a Pixhawk mini instead of the larger version
- The airbags will be likely replaced for a landinggear
- I will use a 2 blade prop instead of the shown 3blade. (Xoar 18x10)

I ordered a couple of items yesterday and recieved most of it today in the mail

What I plan to use:
1x - Pixhawk mini controller (with current sensor, airspeed sensor and GPS)
1x - Plush 100A ESC
1x - YEP 20A BEC
1x - Aerodrive 5065 320Kv motor
1x - Xoar 18x10 propeller
2x - 6S 10.000 mAh battery
2x - TS700MG servo (weightshift steer)
2x - HK15138 servo (brake lines)
2x - 9gram servo (speedbar)
2x - 9gram servo (big ears)

Would you guys like to see the build in detail or would sharing the results suffice?
Last edited by Stef stuntpiloot; Jan 11, 2018 at 06:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2018, 05:23 PM
Thread OP
And here the second part I had somewhat prepared (I also share this build on a dutch forum)

Yesterday I installed SolidWorks 2018 and immediately started testing it out and find the
updates they made. I tought the best way to test it out was just to start experimenting with
parts of the paramotor. I am also happy that SW Visualize accepts my non quadro videocard, this
helps reduce the time required to render significantly! (20-40 seconds instead of 15 minutes)

These are a few initial renders that show what I have in mind for the propeller cage. I want it
to be made out of 6 arms and 6 ring segments that connect those arms.

Each of the arms is shaped somewhat like a propeller, the idea is that it will reduce the torque
effect of the propeller.

I also tried to make a render in visualize and that works quite nice!
Animation test (solidworks Visualize) (0 min 11 sec)
Jan 10, 2018, 05:26 PM
RCG Admin
Very cool! Love the project and thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing updates!
Jan 10, 2018, 09:41 PM
Big like! I will follow this as well.
Jan 10, 2018, 10:25 PM
RC Paraglider / Sailplanes
Nice project !!! Really cool.

Note: Fox Rs 2.6 - does not need nor does it like a lot of pitch. I've been using a 12x6 and Opale recommends a 12x4. With a 12x6 if i throttle up too fast the wing becomes unstable.

Be gentle on your first test with 18x10. With smooth piloting you'll be ok.
Jan 11, 2018, 03:56 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for following along! After some thinking and feedback from other para rc flyers I decided to change things up a bit. I just bought a hybrid 5.2 wing to replace the fox RS. This should be a lot more docile and a better choice for the testing of the trike/gondola module.

It is expected to arrive tomorrow!

I allready recieved the hobbyking order so the motor, batteries, esc, bec and servo's are here now. I also recieved epoxy and glassfiber cloth that I want to use in combination with 3D printed parts (cover the printed parts to reinforce them)
Jan 11, 2018, 08:34 AM
RC Paraglider / Sailplanes
Nice choice of wing. I bought the Hybrid 5.2 with Pilot Tom. I'll be doing a build thread later when I get the time. Opale's wings and backpacks are really top notch!!
Jan 11, 2018, 09:10 AM
Thread OP
Yeah I am really impressed with the build quality of the fox rs and expect the same from this new wing. I have no experience with their backpacks as I intend to make my own but I assume it is up to the same standard.

I am making 3D models of all the parts I intend to use in the assembly so I can play around with the configuration and optimise it before I make the actual frame. Quite a bit of work but well worth it in the end!
Jan 11, 2018, 11:48 AM
Thread OP
Got quite a bit done working on the individual parts and trying out some layouts for the components. This is what I got to for now:

Not included in this render:
- Video transmitter
- Gimbal
- GPS
- Current sensor
- Airspeed sensor
- BEC

When I am happy with the layout I can start designing the frame that connects it all together
Jan 12, 2018, 06:52 AM
Thread OP
So it arrived! Can say I am excited about the new wing! I have a question for the people here that allready own and fly a hybrid 5.2: What kind of flight times do you get with your setup and what motor/propeller/battery combo do you use in your setup? Additionally: is that with normal conservative flying or aerobatic flying?
Jan 12, 2018, 09:46 AM
Thread OP
Allright! The new wing just got delivered and took it out immediately to try to kite it. I also brought the FOX RS to compare and it's night and day when it comes to ease of launch. This should really help me a lot during the testing phases of the trike and after that the testing of the flightcontroller.

Jan 12, 2018, 10:03 AM
RCG Admin
Awesome. I've got the Nexus from Hacker and it's a blast to kite. That's a great wing you have there too.
Jan 12, 2018, 10:07 AM
Thread OP
@Jason, what kind of flight times do you get with what motor/prop/battery combo? (assuming normal smooth flying)

I am curious about that because I try to get an idea what flying times I can expect on my rig. The goal (especially with the autopilot) is to make long flights. Besides optimizing the shape and specs of the rig itself I also want to use as little lead as possible and get all the required weight in batteries.
Jan 12, 2018, 10:24 AM
RCG Admin
I'm getting around 10 minutes with a 3S 5000mAH lipo on the Hacker A30-8XL motor and a 10x5 prop. That's flying with aerobatics and such, so longer with just cruising.
Jan 12, 2018, 10:26 AM
Thread OP
Allright, not that long, I really want it to fly a LOT longer. In this first version I want to use 2x 6S 10Ah and get the rig up to weight with lead. When it flies as I want it to I plan to replace the lead with batteries.

Quick Reply