Two Classics - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 09, 2018, 08:37 PM
Brighto?
Discussion

Two Classics

Seen at AMA Expo West. Compensator and Blue Angel, both electric powered (!).
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2018, 09:07 PM
Paul Pappas,.....AMA....L42520
That actually looks like a PA-2 / Aurora in Blue Angel colors.
Jan 09, 2018, 09:39 PM
That's no BA.
Jan 09, 2018, 11:15 PM
Pile-it
Very nice birds, built by Jim Dunkle.
Jan 10, 2018, 12:19 AM
JMD
JMD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitstop000
That actually looks like a PA-2 / Aurora in Blue Angel colors.
Good eye it is a PA-2 in BA paint. It was an old kit a friend of mine gave me and I loved the Aurora in BA paint. Just finished it for the show excited to fly it in a couple of weeks. Probobly have it in Lancaster in Feb. Will have the Compensator there also.
Jack
Jan 10, 2018, 07:28 AM
Both are gorgeous planes! Any details on the power systems? Especially since the Compensator has an engine hanging out of it.

Thanks for posting Mike!

R
Jan 10, 2018, 08:46 AM
Pile-it
Quote:
Originally Posted by imodel
Both are gorgeous planes! Any details on the power systems? Especially since the Compensator has an engine hanging out of it.

Thanks for posting Mike!

R
I didn't grab a pic, but he milled away the front case of the nitro motor to accept an outrunner. Pretty clever.
Jan 10, 2018, 09:18 AM
JMD
JMD
Here is the modification I made to the old engine.
Jan 10, 2018, 10:53 AM
Love it - that's awesome! But a question. From the pictures, if the mount is attached to the engine, how are you attaching the outrunner to the mount? And if you're attaching the outrunner to the mount first, how are you attaching the unit to the engine? From what I can see, all fasteners are not accessible. It also looks like you're using JB Weld?

What size motor are you using, ESC size and batteries?

R
Last edited by imodel; Jan 10, 2018 at 11:01 AM.
Jan 10, 2018, 02:16 PM
JMD
JMD
The screws that mount the motor to the plate are a accessible from the back. the screws holding the plate to the motor case go threw and thread into were the back plate used to mount. I did use JB weld but just to fill the small gap.
Jan 10, 2018, 02:22 PM
JMD
JMD
additional pics of the motor mount
Jan 10, 2018, 03:51 PM
How did you CG turn out? wouldn't it be lighter to get a 3D 60 size engine printed out and paint a nice red head on it
Are you going to put a pipe and header too?
Jan 10, 2018, 04:01 PM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
Good eye it is a PA-2 in BA paint. It was an old kit a friend of mine gave me and I loved the Aurora in BA paint. Just finished it for the show excited to fly it in a couple of weeks. Probobly have it in Lancaster in Feb. Will have the Compensator there also.
Jack
Jack,

They are both awesome!!

I hope to see them in person at one of our So Cal Classic Pattern Events this year.

Doug
Jan 10, 2018, 07:00 PM
Should have guessed that the screws were accessible from inside the engine case. Thanks for pictures.

R
Jan 10, 2018, 08:12 PM
JMD
JMD
Here is a pic of the current motor. Origanly I had a Eflight power 60 motor but after flying could not get enough rpm as I was limited in prop diameter and that motor is low KV 460 so after some experimenting I changed to a Rimfire 60-650 kv and it came to life.
My Aurora has the same power in it so should fly well.

Quick Reply