Coming Soon! DJI Ronin-S DSLR Gimbal

The all new Ronin-S should bridge the gap between the more expensive Ronin series gimbals and the Osmo.

A Lightweight Stabilization Option For DSLR

DJI has just announced a new option for stabilizing your DSLR or mirrorless camera. The new Ronin-S is a lightweight handheld gimbal with a number of interesting features that could make it a game-changer for shooting high-quality video on a budget. DJI has not released the cost, but pre-order status is coming soon. The following is taken from the DJI website:

Frame Design

The Ronin-S's innovative framework elevates camera payload above the Roll Axis, making the camera's built-in display obstruction free and always in your line of sight. This ergonomic design also frees the Ronin-S from unwanted shake as you shift from underslung to an upright position in one smooth take.

DJI Ronin S Product Intro Video - Revealed at CES 2018 (0 min 43 sec)

SmoothTrack

With only one hand, SmoothTrack technology allows you to transition smoothly from motion to camera angle effortlessly. Two customizable parameter groups enable you to store your favorite SmoothTrack settings, switching between them in a single click. The Ronin-S's new Sport mode now intelligently increases SmoothTrack responsiveness to keep up with any movement.

Versatile Mounting Options

The Ronin-S can be easily mounted to an RC buggy for low-angle shots or even act as a stabilized remote head when mounted to a jib. The dedicated DJI Focus Command Unit can be mounted to the accessory dock, enabling creators to pull focus when operating with the standard handle. You can also attach the Ronin-S to a dual-handheld bar without compromising control of the gimbal, focus, or the camera shutter.

Multiple Accessory Support

We understand that sometimes you need more than just a gimbal for your project. Multiple accessory mounts are allocated on the Ronin-S, providing full support for add-ons such as a microphone, LED lights, and even a wireless video transmitter. Compatibility with DJI control devices such as Master Force provides intuitive controls. The Master Wheels are also able to provide remote operators precise gimbal movements.

CLICK HERE for more info on the Ronin-S on DJI's website.

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Jan 09, 2018 at 10:46 AM..
Jan 09, 2018, 11:26 AM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Yeah this is going to be really nice! Much lighter and easier to handle than the old Ronin.

Dave
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber Bird
Jan 09, 2018, 06:39 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Will they sell a Z axis stabilizer with this? I hope so.
Jan 15, 2018, 09:30 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWA
Yeah this is going to be really nice! Much lighter and easier to handle than the old Ronin.

Dave
The Ronin S is pretty exciting. Having operated other Ronins with various cameras on set ,I learned that set up as rather limiting. I had to buy an EasyRig in order to be able to operate over a 12 hour day without killing myself. I see the RS as a better option for the types of video shoots I am on if a mirrorless camera is acceptable to the production. Couple the RS with the new Panasonic GH5S and you have a seriously affordable low light package.
Jan 15, 2018, 04:37 PM
DWA
DWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntpixel
The Ronin S is pretty exciting. Having operated other Ronins with various cameras on set ,I learned that set up as rather limiting. I had to buy an EasyRig in order to be able to operate over a 12 hour day without killing myself. I see the RS as a better option for the types of video shoots I am on if a mirrorless camera is acceptable to the production. Couple the RS with the new Panasonic GH5S and you have a seriously affordable low light package.
Yeah we tried using the original Ronan on real state jobs. The takedown, the set up and keeping the camera balanced was too much work.
This new one looks like it will be much better for our purposes.

Dave
Apr 08, 2018, 10:22 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWA
Yeah we tried using the original Ronan on real state jobs. The takedown, the set up and keeping the camera balanced was too much work.
This new one looks like it will be much better for our purposes.

Dave
Any word on when the S will hit the streets?
Apr 08, 2018, 10:40 AM
DWA
DWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntpixel
Any word on when the S will hit the streets?
I have not heard anything. Not one word.
Apr 08, 2018, 11:23 AM
Hey Macarena

There was one in the U.K. at the camera exhibition a few weeks back but nothing since. I suspect we will see this fairly soon, perhaps Nab May brings something news wise but who knows.

Pro products seem to slip out under the radar from time to time so it may just appear on the website one day.
Apr 08, 2018, 02:19 PM
DWA
DWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1
There was one in the U.K. at the camera exhibition a few weeks back but nothing since. I suspect we will see this fairly soon, perhaps Nab May brings something news wise but who knows.

Pro products seem to slip out under the radar from time to time so it may just appear on the website one day.
Good to know.

The guy that owns the company I work for will probably buy 2 or 3 of them when they come out. So I will get to use it on a few of the jobs that request it.
That is the plan anyway.
May 21, 2018, 02:18 PM
Hey Macarena
DJI Ronin-S - HANDS ON REVIEW (DJI camera robot) DEEP DIVE (footage) (16 min 49 sec)

Talk is below $800 for the basic unit.

Looking very good indeed.
May 21, 2018, 11:59 PM
DWA
DWA
Wow that will fly off the shelves at that price point!
May 22, 2018, 09:48 AM
I am using the Zhiyun-Tech Crane now for hand held video work. It does the job but it's very limited. Just watching the video above DJI really address each of the limitations of the Crane gimbal. This looks like a much better tool! At $800 this thing will sell like crazy. Everyone that does video with a DLSR is going to want one.
May 29, 2018, 02:05 AM
DJI Ronin-S is now available at the DJI Online Store: Buy DJI Ronin-S | DJI Online Store
May 29, 2018, 07:38 AM
Hey Macarena
Introducing the Ronin S

DJI - Introducing the Ronin-S (3 min 39 sec)

Ronin S Setup Tutorial

DJI Tutorials - Ronin-S - Assembly (3 min 7 sec)

Ronin S Operation

DJI Tutorials - Ronin-S - Operation (2 min 18 sec)
May 30, 2018, 10:54 PM
Ok, I ordered one. Will I be able to use this near airports? Or will I have to apply to DJI for a waiver for that?

Quick Reply