Focke Wulf - 190 *** 80 cm wingspam *** Foam - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 09, 2018, 01:56 AM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Build Log

Focke Wulf - 190 *** 80 cm wingspam *** Foam

Hi Friends,

I am back to the hobby a couple of years away, and to comemorate this, I am starting a new building project: a FW-190.
It will have 80cm wingspam, the plans I got from the internet, it was originally for a wood (balsa) construction and I am
building it with foam.

The fuse is already getting the format. It will receive some hobby mass and more sanding to take the imperfections. The
cockpit will be vaccumforming and I will paint the bird with airbrush.

The stickers are almost ready on Corel Draw to be laser printed on waterslide.

Now I´ll cut the panel wings with hot wire cutter.

Progress to come...
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2018, 10:30 AM
The Junk Man
Hello Luis,

I like the sectioned foam technique but end with a fuselage very much like yours. My FW-190 sectioned foam thread is here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...oam-Conversion

And I just started a Republic P-47 thread here using the same technique: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Models-Of-WWII

Trading ideas always helps me.

Tom
Jan 09, 2018, 07:00 PM
Hi Tom,

Amazing building! I need to learn a lot with you my friend

I use a wall filler that is so much light and we can sand it very well, it´s called Liteplast (see picture), but I would like
to know how to fiberglass, once after this filler I use we still can see some foam bubbles.

I saw that you vacuumforming the cowl, I also have a vacuum machine that I made, I´ll try to make one cowl...

Here is my Tucano that I made also with the same technics as you used:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...120cm-wingspam

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_om
Hello Luis,

I like the sectioned foam technique but end with a fuselage very much like yours. My FW-190 sectioned foam thread is here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...oam-Conversion

And I just started a Republic P-47 thread here using the same technique: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Models-Of-WWII

Trading ideas always helps me.

Tom
Jan 09, 2018, 08:14 PM
The Junk Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Claudio
I saw that you vacuumforming the cowl, I also have a vacuum machine that I made, I´ll try to make one cowl...
No, I didn't vacuum form the cowls, I always make mine from fiberglass. Not sure where you saw the vacuum formed ones.

Tom
Jan 10, 2018, 01:50 AM
No problem at all Tom, anyway I saw your cowl plug and imagine it was for vacuumforming.

I have a very thin white paper, very light also, and I am thinking about covering the wing and fuse whit it,
creating a kind of laminate with 50% water and white glue... what do you think?

Quote:
No, I didn't vacuum form the cowls, I always make mine from fiberglass. Not sure where you saw the vacuum formed ones.

Tom
Jan 10, 2018, 10:42 AM
The Junk Man
Paper covering is an excellent way to go if you do not want to use fiberglass. There are entire threads on here that offers tons of examples and how-to advice.

Here is one: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ng-improvement

A friend built one of my FW-190 models and used paper. Worked OK but he piled the model in full throttle from 75 feet up and it ended up in foam dust. Didn't matter what the covering was on that one.

Tom
Jan 10, 2018, 05:42 PM
Bingo!

I made a test right now. Applied 40% white glue in the foam and sprayed the paper, applied to the foam and a credit card helped to take
off the glue and water excess. Let it dry.... and...... .......... success!!!!!

As I scalled down the plan, I found the dihedral about 6,5cm ~ 2,55"

Next step tomorrow is go to the beach, as me and family are on vacation, and then laminate the wing!

Quote:
Paper covering is an excellent way to go if you do not want to use fiberglass. There are entire threads on here that offers tons of examples and how-to advice.

Here is one: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ng-improvement

A friend built one of my FW-190 models and used paper. Worked OK but he piled the model in full throttle from 75 feet up and it ended up in foam dust. Didn't matter what the covering was on that one.

Tom
Last edited by Luis_Claudio; Jan 10, 2018 at 07:39 PM.
Jan 12, 2018, 05:28 PM
Great to see your work. It's good to see another builder using to paper glue/water my favorite method. Keep up the good work I'll be watching.
Jan 12, 2018, 06:00 PM
Thank you so much for the kind words! It will be a new experience to me, once I´ve never used this method before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychedvike
Great to see your work. It's good to see another builder using to paper glue/water my favorite method. Keep up the good work I'll be watching.
Jan 12, 2018, 06:39 PM
Hi Friends!

A few more progress today. I carved inside the fuse to acomodate all the eletronics: battery, servos, speed control and motor. But I think
I made a mistake once I didn´t let foam enough in the firewall, I carved everything I will need to put a wood as firewall.
I also glued the two wing panels with the correct dihedral, applied a carbon fiber rod to reinforce and filled with a filler. Now it´s ready to
be enveloped with paper.

Next steps are cover the wing with paper, reinforce both sides of the fuse with fiberglass rods and glue both sides.

Here some pictures to see the progress! Please post some advices!
Jan 15, 2018, 03:29 PM
Hi Friends,

A few more progress today. Installed the two ailerons servos in the wing, decided to put one in each side.
The both wires servos are already inside the wing. Reinforce the fuselage with two fiber glass rods and glued
both sides together.
Jan 17, 2018, 05:13 PM

Wing paper covering!

Hi friends,

A few more progress.

I covered the wing with soft and light white paper, with 60% water and 40% white glue and the result is

INCREDIBLE!!!!!! AMAZING!!!!!

I was so surprised because it was my first experience with this techincs and the wing is so much strong, light, smooth and
It added only 6gr

Now my doubt is referring what I can do to reinforce the ailerons. Once they are so thin, If I cover them with this same process
they can bend....
Jan 17, 2018, 06:33 PM
The Junk Man
Face the ailerons with balsa and after covering with paper they will be plenty stiff enough.

Tom
Jan 18, 2018, 04:01 PM
Nice Tom!

I found a very thin balsa here

Let´s do it!

Quote:
Face the ailerons with balsa and after covering with paper they will be plenty stiff enough.

Tom

Quick Reply